How do you demo your THT or THTLP?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
DaveMacKay

How do you demo your THT or THTLP?

#1 Post by DaveMacKay »

I have two THTLPs that I run with my stereo. Despite their huge size, they don't have a really forceful presence: they just fill in the music so that it sounds "right". Because of the volume I listen at (seldom above 80 dB), there isn't any chest slam or window rattling. In fact, the affect that the THTLPs have is most noticeable if I turn them off --- it's like someone took the life out of the music.

Notwithstanding that, I'd like to be able to demonstrate to friends (and naysayers) what they're capable of.

What do you do to demonstrate your BFM subwoofers?

Grant Bunter

Re: How do you demo your THT or THTLP?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Well, first up, remove all the objects in the room likely to fall off whatever they are sitting on. You don't want them broken, or rattling.

Do what you do normally, just play music, at your normal volume. Sure, go ahead, turn the subs off to show what not having subs on does.
Take the opportunity to describe the sub bass they produce in the terms most often associated with horn subs in general, Bill's designs in particular.
Terms like smooth, effortless, clean. Explain how horns naturally filter harmonics, so low harmonic distortion (unlike direct radiators).
Got a mate that uses those cabs? Swears by them even. Tell them to bring em along, do a direct A to B comparison.

Then grab the volume button, turn that sucker up until you get the tactile chest thumping window rattling result.
Do that with a multimeter connected to the cabs, do some maths, tell em what they just heard was produced by x amount of watts, rather than the x00 watts old mate used to do that with their direct radiators.

Anyone there will get the idea pretty quickly...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Music won't show off what the THT will do, as music doesn't go low enough and doesn't have true LFE content. Movies are required for that. Google 'movies with best low frequency effects'. Tell your friends to wear brown pants. :shock:

Bryan Cox

#4 Post by Bryan Cox »

download.jpeg
download.jpeg (10.91 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

Other than the rebassed music we chatted about earlier, one of the old school audio demo disks I used to use is Don Dorsey's Bachbusters. If you enjoy classical, you'll like it. There's a few tracks on the album that will give your THTLP's a little bit of a workout. Nothing way way low though.

Here's one of them, Toccata & Fugue In D Minor.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

asarose247

#6 Post by asarose247 »

Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
Phantom of the Opera
Folding Time- nuclear ramjet