Long Legs?

Get the lowdown on the down low.
sstapels

Long Legs?

#1 Post by sstapels »

I am about to build a tuba low profile, and am thinking about firing it at the ground with legs. How tall do the legs need to be? Just seems odd to fire at the ground to me and want to make sure I am not doing something incorrect?

Thanks

Scott

Seth

Re: Long Legs?

#2 Post by Seth »

Hey Scott, welcome to the forum. I'm Seth. :thumbsup:

Your answer is at the top of page 17 in the plans.

Good luck with the build, feel free to continue asking all you need along the way, and I look forward to hearing your impression once completed!

-Seth-
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

sstapels

#3 Post by sstapels »

Seth,

Appreciate the response but page 17 is why I am asking. it says, "This option is for when you need to have the cab placed tight into a corner and you don’t want to have the mouth aimed upward or placed downward on legs" Assume that means that downward on legs would be preferred to this option.

The page 17 upward firing is an option for sure for me, but trying to my best

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

Absolutely, no worries.

The THTLP can be built with the mouth opening either open on the end of the cab or open on the side/front of the cab. The sentence you quoted is in the section of the plans titled "Front Firing Mouth Option", and is speaking to the benefits of building your cab in that configuration.

The standard configuration is with the mouth open on the end. If you want to have the cab in an upright orientation, you can have the mouth aimed up toward the ceiling or put legs on it and aim it at the floor. Or, build the Front Firing Mouth Option if "you don’t want to have the mouth aimed upward or placed downward on legs".

If you take a look at the Sketchup file, you can see the Front Firing Mouth Option in the cab on the far right, where the other two depict the standard End Firing orientation.

Whichever orientation you prefer, is preferred.

The answer to the question you asked is 16 to 24 inches. (first line on the page)

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

Actually, I believe the mouth about 18 inches from and firing into a corner of the room may be preferred. Firing up toward the ceiling, down on legs, or laying on it's side. And the Front Firing Option is if those options don't suit your room. I'm not sure if there would be any actual downside to the Front Firing Option tucked into a corner and firing outward down the length of one of the walls. It would likely be dependent on the unique acoustic qualities of your room. I'd be curious to hear Bills input/verification on that point.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

sstapels

#6 Post by sstapels »

Thanks so much - this is exactly what I was wrestling with. At 36" wide there are not a ton of locations I can put this sub.

At this point I am planning to put it behind the screen along with R-C-L and bouncing back with standing it up or laying it down. The biggest difference is a lack of pick fluffy for base absorption wherever the sub is (on its side along the floor or up-right in the left corner against the wall as you mentioned. Ideally, I would test both, but the top or front firing needs to be decided before I can try it. Seems like the alternate front firing may give me more options.

Really appreciate your answers. Thanks for your time this is my first DIY speaker.