Hello from PDX

cdorety

Hello from PDX

#1 Post by cdorety »

Hey all!

I'm currently making decisions for some additional PA cabinets for my basement music space. I currently run 2, JBL EON615 and an EON618s powered sub. The JBL system is plenty loud and has more than enough low end, but lacks mid-range punch, so things tend to get a bit muddy. Also the walls are concrete and untreated. The basement does have a literal TON of objects, varying in size, shape, and density, but yes, it is still a highly reflective space, and as such there are a lot of modes and standing wave interferences. It's a work in progress.

These aren't questions, just saying hi and what I am up to.

I'm doing some REW measurements in the space in different locations to get an idea of what might be the best solution. Size of cabinet is a huge consideration: they need to be small-ish. So I'm looking at a sealed cabinet solution.

Bill's SLA Home theater cabinets are quite attractive due to their small size.

Anyways, Hi!

Seth

Re: Hello from PDX

#2 Post by Seth »

Hey hey... Welcome. I'm Seth.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!
SLAs, or TLAHs would be great for the space.
TomS

cdorety

#4 Post by cdorety »

Hi Seth and Tom,

Tom, yes the SLA option seems like a suitable addition. I have brought other, small hi-fi speakers(B&W bookshelves circa 1980, and some small Tannoy powered reference monitors) into the space to experiment. I get great results with just a tiny bit of help from these additions. These are part of other listening systems in my world, so they can't stay. And even if they could, they aren't ideal additions.

I need a properly crossed-over set of punchy cabs that spread sound out in a fairly small space for live improv basement jams.

I keep vacillating between designing my own cabs, and just buying a pair of SLA kits.