Jack 10 Lite Build

Post your build odyssey here.
9830Lark

Re: Jack 10 Lite Build

#46 Post by 9830Lark »

Horn braces installed. Gap discussed previously not as bad at the top vs. bottom. (not that the top and bottom are different). Might need to tweak that one horn brace with the dremel or multitool to get it behind the 1/8" setback line.

On hold for a few days until I can get to the shop laser to prep the 1/8" stock. I guess I could do the bracing in the meantime.

horn braces done 2.jpg

tallevan

#47 Post by tallevan »

Following your use of laser-cutting with great interest.
Are the black edges of your pieces caused by carbonisation of the wood by the laser?
I'm wondering if that would affect the bond strength of the PL adhesive.

9830Lark

#48 Post by 9830Lark »

tallevan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:45 am Following your use of laser-cutting with great interest.
Are the black edges of your pieces caused by carbonisation of the wood by the laser?
I'm wondering if that would affect the bond strength of the PL adhesive.
Yes - the black is from the laser cut. It never occurred to me that I should worry about it. You could take the glue surfaces to the sander and take off the char, I suppose. Or maybe even just hit them briefly with a wire brush. The lasered edges are not uniform, there's a mix of 'raw' and 'burned' wood. Likely not possible to get a decent image of that. I've checked the glue-ups that are not nailed and they seem to be quite solid. The pieces have all been handled numerous times and bounced around inside a cloth bag, they leave some blackening early on, but not after all the handling.

9830Lark

#49 Post by 9830Lark »

Bored and surfing. After viewing eac's (wonderful) CNC work on his JL, the light bulb went off for me.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18411&hilit=eac&start=15#p196299

Redesign on the lasered horn brace. Yeah - it uses more wood, as the inside cutout doesn't get used as the brace. But, it's one less set of parts to fiddle with. Too late for my project. I didn't even think about radius-ing the corners on my laser designs.
Capture.JPG

9830Lark

#50 Post by 9830Lark »

Cutting the 1/8" BB tomorrow at the shop. Worrying incessantly about the sheath installation. The shop has tons of clamps etc., but I find it very difficult to concentrate and work when I'm being interrupted constantly.... "Hey - what ya working on?". I don't have long enough clamps at home.

I manage to find this post - jools4001 uses tie down straps to bend the sheath ... viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20456&hilit=clampi ... 30#p235650 - very interesting.

Dug in the pickup and found my ratchet straps. And hey - there are three! I can hook these to the workbench and manage the sheath bending easily (so he thinks - ha). Just got to figure out how I can do it and still be able to see the rear to check for proper contact and glue squeeze out. Hoping I can just squeeze the noggin' around and see. I might need to add scraps behind the cab to keep it from sliding backwards.
ratchet2.jpg

9830Lark

#51 Post by 9830Lark »

Another good hour or so at the community shop. 1/8" BB cut to size for horns/sheaths. All the remainder of the laser work is done. The only parts that aren't cut are the mounting strips for the back panel. Oh, except for whatever I forgot.

Played with logo and the laser. Looks pretty good. Will look even better once it gets two coats of Danish oil. I reversed the black/white on the graph background to cut WAY down on the laser time.

Laser again.jpg
logos.jpg

9830Lark

#52 Post by 9830Lark »

Crossover - actually just LP filter - mounted to laser cut board. Sweet - having the cable tie holes nicely cut out. Backer board cut out also. I'll glue that to the BB and then screw the X-over to that using the stand-offs. I don't know, maybe I'll just hot glue it. It doesn't sit flush due to the cable ties.

I also made some Speakon jack backer plates, as I'm leaning toward surface mounting them and I want something more beefy to screw them into. That way there will be 1/2" of BB. I was going to mount them internally and through-bolt them, but it turns out the circular flange is not 1/4" high and the plug need to snug up to that to engage. Anyway, I don't gig other than hauling to someone's house to jam, so i don't think I'll be shearing anything off.
X-over and speakon backer.jpg

9830Lark

#53 Post by 9830Lark »

Mocked up the horn sheath bending and PL-ing, which I'll do in the morning. Looks promising. I guess I'll just leave it bent all night, maybe it'll relax a bit. The ratchet straps look good. I penciled the brace locations on the back of the sheath to help with the PL placement.

Boy - Bill's advice to ensure you cut the 1/8"" BB so the easier bending axis is properly aligned is absolutely good advice. The difference between the two axes is amazing.
horn sheath bend.jpg
Note the obligatory Texas fan. Rather pointless as it's likely 85 degrees in the garage in the afternoon. Hot air blowing on me! Yeah - that's refreshing.

Bruce Weldy

#54 Post by Bruce Weldy »

9830Lark wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:37 pm
Note the obligatory Texas fan. Rather pointless as it's likely 85 degrees in the garage in the afternoon. Hot air blowing on me! Yeah - that's refreshing.
I have that exact same fan. I've always had box fans in the garage and carry two Laskos - one in the trailer and one in my truck. But, since I've been mixing with an iPad almost exclusively the last couple of years, I don't have power out front with me on the outside gigs. So, the little Ryobi has been great. I have two of the big batteries for it, but I've never used more than one - even on high it will last 3-4 hours.

What part of Texas are you in?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

9830Lark

#55 Post by 9830Lark »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 am What part of Texas are you in?
I'm from Waco originally, but the family is all Hill Country (Fredericksburg/Kerrville). When I retired, we moved from the Houston Area to Georgetown. I need to edit my profile, I see you're in New Braunfels.

The fan is a huge conversation item, as we always take it to the C&W dances we attend. Everyone wants to know where I got it.

Bruce Weldy

#56 Post by Bruce Weldy »

9830Lark wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 am
Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 am What part of Texas are you in?
I'm from Waco originally, but the family is all Hill Country (Fredericksburg/Kerrville). When I retired, we moved from the Houston Area to Georgetown. I need to edit my profile, I see you're in New Braunfels.

The fan is a huge conversation item, as we always take it to the C&W dances we attend. Everyone wants to know where I got it.
I have a great folding chair with a fold up table on the side that I use when I mix outside. The fan sits on the table and blows right at my face from 2 feet away.....I wouldn't make it through the night without it.

If you ever come down this way, give me a holler. I'm an old retired guy too....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

J_Dunavin

#57 Post by J_Dunavin »

Dude that laser cut logo / badge is..
Attachments
C10F174D-40FF-4798-86D4-FF664DBD4D28.jpeg
C10F174D-40FF-4798-86D4-FF664DBD4D28.jpeg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 1326834 times
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

9830Lark

#58 Post by 9830Lark »

Horn sheaths are done. I did build out a tad with cut-down,tapered popsicle sticks on the one side to mitigate the baffle offset error. Looks pretty good. Wow - I managed to bend the strut running across the lower front of my workbench. It was the ratchet strap that did it. Getting the last 1/2" of the horn to bend took a lot of force apparently.

Looks like I got fair glue squeeze out in the rear.

Installed the duct braces and the first duct. I put two dabs of hot glue on the braces to hold them in position, then ran a bead of PL down the sides.
horn sheaths done.jpg
duct braces.jpg
duct.jpg

Bruce Weldy

#59 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Looking really good.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

9830Lark

#60 Post by 9830Lark »

Alternatives for horn sheath trimming?

I'll be at that point in a few days. I'm guessing that the best way to do this is with the cab flat on it's back. While that means there's no flat surface for the saw to ride on, it does align the overhangs more horizontal. I don't have a sled for my circular saw. I can certainly make one. Anything accurate that I can think of that might work would all require some type of shop built guide (jigsaw with fine tooth blade).

I really don't want to cut corners and ruin the hard work. Brute force = belt sander or sawzall. Sounds risky. Maybe just biting the bullet and making a sled is the way to go.