DIY Flight case

Anything not covered elsewhere.
J_Dunavin

DIY Flight case

#1 Post by J_Dunavin »

Has anyone made their own cases?
I’ve made several “boxes” covered in rat fur, but always thought they looked unprofessional. Shoot, I’m still hauling around all my cables in a nice plastic tote🤷🏻‍♂️

Thinking about going with these guys:
https://www.reliablehardware.com/diyroadcasevideos.aspx

Thinking about making a couple amp racks, box for all my cables and one just for my 100’ stage snake I bought.
I’m thinking with the cables box, I could incorporate some dividers to organize my cables.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Bruce Weldy

Re: DIY Flight case

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

First thing I built for my system was my amp rack. I used rat fur. That rack has done every show and looks pretty decent after all it's been through. Pics from 2010. Was using a Yamaha analog board - which is still in that rack in case of emergencies...

The good thing about using rat fur is that you can make the covers compression fit. Those three covers have been on and off hundreds of times and are still nice and tight.
DSCF1601.JPG
Rack 2.JPG
As far as mixer cases, definitely build your own. Every store bought mixer case I've ever tried to use on other people's rigs absolutely suck. Handles aren't in the right position and are a total PITA.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

For maximum durability use 1/4" or 3/8" plywood covered with formica. It comes with some interesting finishes, including faux slate.

J_Dunavin

#4 Post by J_Dunavin »

Yaa thought I’d stick with 1/4 ply and these guys offer some different color abs sheets to go over them as well.
I just need something better than Tupperware and rat fur 😆
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

ABS is good, if maybe bland. This is one of the interesting Formica offerings: https://www.homedepot.com/p/FORMICA-4-f ... cale=en-US

J_Dunavin

#6 Post by J_Dunavin »

Oooo I like that!
The dark navy blue looks nice.
This would be slick too
5C638FFF-AE7B-4D61-8359-6169C7C29D39.jpeg
5C638FFF-AE7B-4D61-8359-6169C7C29D39.jpeg (103 KiB) Viewed 936 times
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

J_Dunavin wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 am I just need something better than Tupperware
Don't dis good Rubbermaid totes. Much lighter than a case and easy to segregate cable types. I have the Mic cables in one, Speaker cables in another, and stage snakes in another. They stack nicely and it's a lot lighter to throw one on stage to get what you need rather than having everything in a giant rolling case and having to dig to the bottom to get what you want.

Also have my electrical, big snake, and lighting stuff in separate bigger totes.

All of my totes go on top of the subs in the trailer, not using any precious floor space.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#8 Post by himhimself »

I've bought parts from reliable hardware (great recessed casters), diyroadcases, parts express and direct from penn elcom. I think there's a place that specialized in the aluminum extrusions, too, but don't remember their name. Building cases is kinda fun, and they definitely look pro. I've glued ABS onto ply, also thin fiberglass (find my thread on revamping my old red amp rack), and made a mixer case out of some kind of specialty building ply that had a thin, pebbly aluminum skin in white. Still using that case 30 years later. You basically pop rivet everything together.
As for other options, I like the sturdy, rectangular plastic milk crates. They stack nicely. You can pile them up on a little moving dolly, strap 'em down and roll away. Or move a stack of them with a hand dolly.
I also picked up a bunch of 14" zippered cable bags from Menards on rebate a while ago. They were $10, but after rebate I think they were a dollar. They'll each hold a cable or two. I used a white sharpie to write on them, so I have Sub 1, Sub 2, Top 1 short, Top 2 short, Top 1 long, Top 2 long, XLR, etc. Makes it really easy to keep them all straight, separate, and untangled. They all fit in a crate, then I just toss them out to the speakers once they are set up. My extension cords are 10g, so way too big. They go in a rescued Pelican roller case.
Good luck, enjoying your new build story.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

himhimself

#9 Post by himhimself »

Oh yeah, all that to say, Bill's idea of using formica (or other countertop laminate) is cool. Might have to try that next time. Just be sure to get the thickness of the panels spot on so that it will fit into the extrusions snugly.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas