One big THTLP or two smaller subwoofers?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
DaveMacKay

One big THTLP or two smaller subwoofers?

#1 Post by DaveMacKay »

I'm looking for advice about subwoofer(s) and placement.

I had planned to build (or ask Tom Smit to build) a THTLP subwoofer with 15” driver (24”x24”x72”) to pair with my La Scala speakers. Because of its size, I would need to stand the THTLP on end in one corner of my listening room. But my experience trying to “dial in” a temporary subwoofer (using REW and the "subwoofer crawl" to find the optimal positioning) has been more difficult than I expected so that I’m now questioning that plan.

In the “Got a question? Look here first! Really! We're Not Kidding!” thread, Bill Fitzmaurice states that “Horn loaded subs always work better when you use lots of them”. I’m pondering whether it might be easier to get the sound “right” in my room with two smaller subwoofers instead of one big one.

I’m looking for advice as to whether I should go with a single THTLP with 15” driver or build two smaller THTLPs (with 12” drivers) or THTs or Table Tubas. Forum member jason str pointed out to me that, with a 12” driver, a THTLP could be made as small as 18” x 15” x 72”. At that size, I would be able to put two THTLPs (standing on their ends) in my room.

Is standing the THTLP(s) on end a good idea?

What is the smallest reasonable size (while still getting down to 20Hz) for a THT or Table Tuba?

My listening room is long and narrow. The WAF dictates the only places where the speakers and subwoofers can go, even if they don’t sound great there. The only spots available for the subwoofers would be in the corners of the room near the front windows (see image). You will note that one of those spots is smaller than the other (16”W x 28”D versus 25”W x 28”D).
subwoofer placement.jpg
I’d welcome recommendations about what to do given those constraints. Should I:
  • stick with the plan for one THTLP with 15” driver, or
  • go with two smaller THTLPs with 12” drivers,
  • or use one or two THTs or Table Tubas instead of one/two THTLP(s)
Any suggestions about room treatments would also be welcome.

Thanks for your input.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: One big THTLP or two smaller subwoofers?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Two smaller will work better than one larger. THT versus TT is a matter of how low you want to go. Predetermining locations for subs usually ends badly. For one thing they should almost never be located at the same end of the room. You use the sub crawl method to locate the first, then place the second where it does the best job of smoothing the response at the listening position.

Fastskiguy

#3 Post by Fastskiguy »

what did you end up doing? Asking for a friend..... ;)

Joe

DaveMacKay

#4 Post by DaveMacKay »

I went with two THTLP subwoofers. I made them as small as possible (i.e., 15" wide) which necessitated using 12" drivers instead of 15".

They turned out well. But having 2 subs didn't do as much to alleviate the room modes as I'd hoped.

Now I'm working on room treatment, after which I'll try again with REW to come up with good EQ settings for the subs (each has a plate amp with some DSP capability).

Fastskiguy

#5 Post by Fastskiguy »

Two sounds really cool….where did you end up placing them?

Joe

DaveMacKay

#6 Post by DaveMacKay »

One is as shown in the diagram. The other is in the corner diagonal to it.

Fastskiguy

#7 Post by Fastskiguy »

That’s supposed to be a good starting point. hope you get the bass you need!