Opinions needed

Guitar cabs both you and your audience can hear better.
Bryan Cox

Opinions needed

#1 Post by Bryan Cox »

I'd like to build a couple XF cabs. I have a Trainwreck Express clone that I picked up. I've been using it through a cab with the Scumback H75 (G12H-30 clone) and it lacks low mid response.

A buddy of mine has a 1978 Fender Vibrolux with two 10" Jensen speakers and it just SCREAMS! The balance from lows to highs is impeccable. But it doesn't do the clean to mean thing well.

I'm looking for any speaker recommendations that would go well in an XF cab (or two) which might add some girth to the lower mid range. I'm open to 10" or 12" speakers.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Chris_Allen

Re: Opinions needed

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

I'd be interested to know the opinions on this question.

I stopped using a guitar cab about a decade ago, I'd been dabbling with emulation the previous 2 years and went all in.

For the decade before that, I'd hate to write down how much I had spent on different cabs, amps, drivers, combinations etc. Everyone else's amp sounded better than mine and my amp sounded different everywhere I went. I was really on that tone search train, burning threw cash as I did it.

It would be interesting to revisit the tube amp head + cab setup just to see if my perception to it has changed and whether I can manage the setup better.

Chris.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Radian

#3 Post by Radian »

I’m not a guitar player, but I’d bet hard money I could get a Steinberger Synapse run through an Eclipse V4 into a NAD M2 into an XF212 loaded with a pair of Eminence Wizards to fetch a musician just about any “tone” they could desire.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Bryan Cox

#4 Post by Bryan Cox »

I hear ya. I've been on the tone search for quite a long time. I have a hotrodded custom JMP 50 clone, an exact Trainwreck Express clone (built by Darin at Tonic Amps), an Egnater Tweaker 15, and have hired Paul Ruby to build be a single channel 18 watt TMB.

As for the speakers, I'm probably going to build a 4x12 XF cab with either the G12M reissue or Scumback equivalents. I'd like to also build an XF212 with Alnico Blue for my Egnater.

To your point about the tone chasing...I'm aware that it's expensive. My war office has made note. But I have this military retirement that I don't do much with, so what the hell. Haha. Plus, it's fun and gives me something to do.

I used to be in a band with a guy that used an amp sim pedal. I fed it out the mains and the monitors. It really sounded pretty good. I even borrowed it for a weekend just to see if I could downsize. Sadly, I could not. I absolutely love that tube compression and breakup. Also, I do not like to rely on pedals for my overdrive.

We shall see where this rabbit hole leads

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Well, tone is always in the eye of the beholder. I had no problem playing for years direct into the PA starting with a Pod 2.0, then a Mesa (can't remember the model) tube preamp, then an Ethos pedal, then a Boogie Mark V:25. When I joined my latest band 4 years ago, I went back to old-school playing the Mark V though a cab. I'd have no problem going back to any one of the above direct to the PA in the right band.

I love the tone I get now with no PA support. But, I've always put the sound of the band out front above my own personal wants and needs for my tone. If I had PA support and the rest of the band came along, I'd go back to running direct.

My point is that tone is important to every guitar player, it just varies from person to person as to where it falls in the list of important things.

I'd love to give you some opinions on speakers, but it's really hard to do without knowing what you like to hear. FWIW - I put the Eminence Legends in my XF210. It's closed back, so it gets a nice bottom end. I currently run open back with a single 12. I couldn't imagine toting around a 2x12, or God forbid, a 4x12. But, you are still young so have at it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

#6 Post by Bryan Cox »

Thanks for all the replies. I have things to consider, for sure.

I've tried to get on with going direct (as mentioned above) but that just isn't my bag. I guess I'm a bit traditional when it comes to my playing. I ride the guitar's volume to control my overdrive and I use very few effects. Going direct would require an overdrive pedal and a different approach to how I operate on stage.

Again, I appreciate it, fellas.

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

Ah, skinny-stringers! :lol: :lol: I heard that they are always chasing that tone. LOL, I kinda get that, though. :x
TomS

Bryan Cox

#8 Post by Bryan Cox »

Tom Smit wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:36 pm Ah, skinny-stringers! :lol: :lol: I heard that they are always chasing that tone. LOL, I kinda get that, though. :x
Haha. Yes. The struggle is real!

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bryan Cox wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:35 pm
I've tried to get on with going direct (as mentioned above) but that just isn't my bag. I guess I'm a bit traditional when it comes to my playing. I ride the guitar's volume to control my overdrive and I use very few effects. Going direct would require an overdrive pedal and a different approach to how I operate on stage.
I use zero effects.....had a kid ask me after a gig what pedals I use to get "that tone". I pointed at my tuner.

I do use a two channel amp though. One is fat and clean with just a tiny amount of hair on it. The other is driven a bit. If you like working the volume control, have you looked at a 5E3? Those amps are about 15-18 watts and are pretty much the same volume after 2 - turning it up just adds more gain. Very responsive to picking pressure. I've been playing next to one for 4 years - I love his tone. And you can build your own! Although, now that I'm thinking of it - have we had this conversation before?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

#10 Post by Bryan Cox »

Haha. We sure have. The Wreck is very similar in its responsiveness to touch. But it's 35 watts and ha sa TON of gain. I do plan to build a 5E3 circuit at some point though. At the moment I'm toying with an 18 watt TMB, but only one channel. I think they call it the 18 watt lite.