DRIVERACK PA voltage limit settings for SLA 4/6

Combining subs, tops and all the rest of your kit.
unkycraig

DRIVERACK PA voltage limit settings for SLA 4/6

#1 Post by unkycraig »

Hello People,

I have been tuning the rig up. It is going great. I set all the limiters to 55 v for the T24s with the KL3010lfs I have working for me. Then in all the plugging and adjusting I realized I don't know the voltage limit of the SLAs or even if they need to be set. There are eight little Alpha 6As churning away with parallel/series wiring. Then all those tweeters squawking away are maybe a consideration. It's a two way system, stereo mains and subs.

****Also****
I have a desire to try out just running the subs off the Mono fader of my L/R/M mixing board. Using AUX 6 to add the desired material to low reproduce. How would one get all the protections that a Driverack PA provides for outside the box, It only has two ins L/R. If someone were to run that mono sub OTB. I guess you'd need a second Driverack??? OR I have a pile of GEQs, XOs, What I don't have is some hardware to limit voltage. Is there an off the shelf voltage limiter device? Or is there some plans for soldiering up such a device??

Is this something people still do? It seems like a great way to just send what is needed to the subs. Sure the Driverack can separate everything ITB, wondering what sounds/works better. Perfectly happy with the 2-way Stereo main and sub set-up.

QSC GX7
T24 10 18"wide
SLA PRO 4/6
Driverack PA2
In Progress: Omni 12 Tallboy Bass
Complete: 4 Tuba 24, 2 SLA PRO 4x6

In the wings: DR250(probably not), 4 Wedgehorn 10s(probably), 2 More SLA 4x6s,

Dbx Driverack PA2
Dbx EQs 215, 2231
Dbx X-O 223xs
3 QSC GX7
3 JBL JRX212s

Bruce Weldy

Re: DRIVERACK PA voltage limit settings for SLA 4/6

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

unkycraig wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:08 pm I don't know the voltage limit of the SLAs or even if they need to be set.
You'll hear the SLA fart out if you get carried away with them. If you want to set a limit.....I'd probably do it in the 25-30 volts range. They could maybe take more, but I'm guessing that much will outrun the T24s anyway.
I have a desire to try out just running the subs off the Mono fader of my L/R/M mixing board. Using AUX 6 to add the desired material to low reproduce.
Don't do it. For the reasons you listed plus others. That extra fader on your mixer won't give you the proper crossover slope. And of course, there's no limiter without a second unit. Aux-fed subs are ok if you are out front mixing sound on a big system in front of thousands. But, for the size system you've built, there is absolutely no reason for it. Let the Driverack handle all of the chores for you. Concentrate in getting the system balanced and EQed properly - then one fader turns it all up or down. I've mixed a lot of shows with and without aux-fed subs - and I've yet to see how having them makes it any better than just having a properly set-up system.....it's just more to deal with.

Now, if you are running multiple bands through a festival on a line-array system with a bunch of different engineers mixing, then it makes sense. But, if this is your system and you are the one running it and using it. Set it right and enjoy the simplicity.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

unkycraig wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:08 pm
Is this something people still do? It seems like a great way to just send what is needed to the subs.
You didn't list what mixer you are using.....if it's digital, then you should be setting a high-pass on every channel anyway - that keeps the subs clean. If it's an old analog board, more than likely each channel has a high-pass switch that lets you roll off everything below 80hz (or 100hz depending on the board)

Last weekend, I was mixing one of my regular bands at the San Antonio Rodeo on a line array system with aux-fed subs. I added a little of the lead vocalist to the subs to get that nice fat low-end on his voice. But, I probably didn't need much as the tops were high-passed at 80hz anyway. It was just one more function to deal with.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

unkycraig

#4 Post by unkycraig »

Thanks for the reply. Yes my life will be a lot easier forgetting about that 'M' fader. Just seeing if I would be missing out on some more 'magic'. Apparently not. I am going to forget about that limit for the SLA too, then I can just be done.

Using a cool little board, an Allan & Heath Mix Wizard3 16:2.

Dbx Driverack PA2
Dbx EQs 215, 2231
Dbx X-O 223xs
3 QSC GX7
3 JBL JRX212s

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

unkycraig wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:07 pm Thanks for the reply. Yes my life will be a lot easier forgetting about that 'M' fader. Just seeing if I would be missing out on some more 'magic'. Apparently not. I am going to forget about that limit for the SLA too, then I can just be done.

Using a cool little board, an Allan & Heath Mix Wizard3 16:2.
Nice little mixer - they make good stuff. Get the whole system outside and get the tops and subs balanced, then use the the Auto EQ (if you have the mic) and let it get the system somewhat EQed. Play some music and get it dialed in. Now you have a good base to work from. Save that setting in a couple of places. Then when you go to a venue, either tweak up the EQ to the room or use a 31 band graphic between the board and the Driverack to adjust for the room.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

unkycraig

#6 Post by unkycraig »

I've only set this up half a dozen times. Went from knowing zero to having a decent show or two. I have noticed I use less EQ adjustments each time on the board. Things just seem to like being left straight up the middle. I cut some highs here and there. The Driverack is an amazing tool, I take notes of the Driverack LCD and have a note book I draw up each room GEQ on a 31 slot chart. In case something breaks or disappears I can fall back on those 31 band GEQs. That is interesting to think about putting the GEQ pre drive rack, I will have to experiment with that. We have a huge Soundcraft GB4 24, a school shut down after they bought this new, sat in the box for a decade. So nice, we decided to keep that at the studio and I found the Li'l A&H to take on the road.

Dbx Driverack PA2
Dbx EQs 215, 2231
Dbx X-O 223xs
3 QSC GX7
3 JBL JRX212s