TTLS

Is this amp OK?
Scott Brochu

TTLS

#1 Post by Scott Brochu »

Wow Been a while since I have been to this sight.
Anyhow Bill, Leland..anyone; My Table Tuba LS in my all in one Cherry cabinet seen in the photo gallery on this sight has blown 2 plate amps.
first one was a 125watt amp I believe (its been a while). Always popped when turning off.
The second was about a yr ago...either a 50 or 75 watt Part express special plate amp and it lasted about a month and popped as well. My TLAH's are so good that I couldn't notice I lost my sub until I starting watching a movie.

What is a good amp that will not blow or pop? This time I will not attach to the side of the large cabinet. You can see from the photos in the gallery.

And yes only need about 50 amps if that.

Scott/BBdrums
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

Bruce Weldy

Re: TTLS

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Man, you are definitely a blast from the past. Good to see you're alive and kicking. I don't do the home theater thing, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas on amps as soon as everyone wakes up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I have no recommendation. My TT is powered by an old 75 watt Dayton plate amp. The auto turn on never worked, so I turned that feature off and let the amp stay powered 24/7/365. It's been constantly running for at least 15 years.

Scott Brochu

#4 Post by Scott Brochu »

I will check the wires and do a little more investigating before purchasing.

Man I miss building these speakers. Some day....I'll get back into it.
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

Radian

#5 Post by Radian »

Welcome back Scott. Definitely been a while.

When we installed their TT back in the day, I picked up a used SpeakerCraft Bass Power 250 component amp for my folks' place. It is built like a tank and is still working to this day. Might be worth a look if you can find one for a decent price.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

AntonZ

#6 Post by AntonZ »

My guess: subs don't pop amps. I think you have been very unlucky with the amp models you used.

I currently don't run a sub in the living room (need to negotiate that with the CEO). Until then I run my trusty old autotuba as a sub in my home office. I have been working from home mostly for the past year and a half and it is running just about every day, all day. The amp is one channel from an ancient NAD power amp. It must be over 30 years old by now. It doesn't break a sweat, no problems whatsoever. I play music from my PC, crossover duties are done in the PC so in my case just about any power amp is fine.

Does it have to be a plate amp? Would a power amp and some kind of cross-over work for you?

shawn_g

#7 Post by shawn_g »

Do you happen to have an old A/V receiver laying around? I power my dual loaded TT with one and it works fine since these things don't need much power, plus I can leave it on a rack in the TV stand and adjust volume with the remote.

AntonZ

#8 Post by AntonZ »

They are cheap and readily available. Power consumption may depend on the model though. My old Onkyo A/V receiver was a power hog.