TLAH w/4ohm tweeters?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
BANNING

TLAH w/4ohm tweeters?

#1 Post by BANNING »

I am going to build a pair of TLAH's with 9 drivers and a 9 driver curved center channel as soon as I'm done with the pair of THTLP's currently under construction. I have 2 boxes of the old pioneer NSB's and 2 boxes of Onkyo 3/8" mylar domes that I would like to use. The problem is the tweeters are 4ohm so 12 of them puts me at either 5.333ohms or 12ohms. The tweeters are small enough I can comfortably fit 18 on the baffles and still be the same length as the midwoofer line and can fit 2 tweeters per panel in the center channel. Is this an acceptable arrangement? Is there a better way to do it with the tweeters I own or do I need to buy new tweeters? Also of consideration, I'd eventually like to build a second pair of TLAH's for rear's but won't have enough tweeters if I use 54 of them for LCR. I have a total of 62. Thanks in advance for any help!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: TLAH w/4ohm tweeters?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You can use nine tweeters wired the same as the nine woofers for a 4 ohm load. Performance won't suffer by much, and then you'll have enough for five boxes plus some to spare. The high pass filter component nominal values would be 7uF, 20uF and 0.12mH.