Otop 8 future build

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
kenkenni

Re: Otop 8 future build

#61 Post by kenkenni »

Okay. Thanks for that Bill. I don't have the skills to interpret the graph, but I kind of figured. They are loud though and
I still can't wait to tweak everthing. Here is a short youtube video of a sound demo. Remember just a test, so no Eqing or DSP
processing as of yet. Still going to work out some kinks.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08BSJSu6XUk[/youtube]

Any bass you here is coming from an external sub which is also a diy build.

Seth

#62 Post by Seth »

kenkenni wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:24 pm Sort of like how the SLAs sound when you run them with a good sub.
The DR's, Omni Top's, and SLA's are all intended to be used with a subwoofer when full range reproduction is needed, whereas the Jack and Omni Fullrange cabs are designed to capable of being used without sub support.

From the info/sales page
The 80Hz lower usable frequency limit allows the OTop 8 to run without subs when you don't have to reproduce a lot of bass content, as in acoustic acts.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

kenkenni

#63 Post by kenkenni »

Okay I got you. Still listening to the speaker at the moment. The more I listen the more I like the sound. Maybe because
I have never used tops with compression horns. Anyone got any experience with the PA Driverack that would like to help
me with the best settings I should use?

Bruce Weldy

#64 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:20 pm Okay I got you. Still listening to the speaker at the moment. The more I listen the more I like the sound. Maybe because
I have never used tops with compression horns. Anyone got any experience with the PA Driverack that would like to help
me with the best settings I should use?
There are no best settings. Set your crossover to high pass the OT8s somewhere between 100-120hz. Set your Sub low pass about 6-10hz below where you set the OT8s. Then it's a matter of listening to them to set the balance between the sub and top. Then start EQing.

Oh, and do this outside. That will give you a good baseline. When you go into a room, then use EQ to adjust for the room.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#65 Post by kenkenni »

Progress is going slow now that I am off vacation and back at work, But I managed to get the wiring done for the terminal plate.
I will have to re-do the wiring on the 1/4" terminals of the first Otop8 because the pins are really loose and I can't get audio out
from the connection. The Speak-ons work perfectly though. Bought myself a JHS Labs Colour Box V2 meanwhile as I plan on
purchasing a 12-string electric guitar and teaching myself to play it. The guitar I won't is on back-order. Until then I have been using
the Colour Box as an PEQ for audio playback. I have my iPod line-out going to the input of the Colour Box and from the Colour Box
output to a mixer channel. The Otop8 is being used to monitor sound and it sounds really good. This is not permanent though. I am
just getting familiar with using and hearing the different settings on the pedal.

Bruce Weldy

#66 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:10 pm
I will have to re-do the wiring on the 1/4" terminals of the first Otop8 because the pins are really loose and I can't get audio out
The speakons are 3/16".

If you are talking about the connection on the speaker, that's because they aren't 1/4". They are .205". This is where I bought some a while back. Makes a world of difference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152141557847

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#67 Post by kenkenni »

Bruce I have the dual 1/4" + dual speakon combination plate. The 1/4" connections
of the plate is what I was describing.

Bruce Weldy

#68 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:12 pm Bruce I have the dual 1/4" + dual speakon combination plate. The 1/4" connections
of the plate is what I was describing.
When you said the pins were loose, I thought you meant the tabs on the speakon connectors or the speaker itself. What pins do you mean? Do you mean the jacks are loose when you plug in a 1/4" speaker cable? If so, just bend the long part of the jack toward the middle.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you are talking about.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210