THT Driver

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
camoen74

THT Driver

#1 Post by camoen74 »

I was working on ordering a driver for the THT, however as some of you may know, Parts Express is extremely low on drivers at the moment. I noticed the Dayton Audio RSS390HE-22 15" however the depth is just over the max specified in the instructions (8.25" vs 8" max). Does anyone know if the driver would fit? Is there any recommended drivers that may be in stock (or other solutions)? The LaVoce WAF154 15" is in stock - not sure if that would be a good option. The Ultimax 12" is in stock, does anyone have experience putting those in a THT? If anyone knows the pros and cons of going with an alternate driver (than what is listed), please post. Thanks!

Seth

Re: THT Driver

#2 Post by Seth »

Looking at the Sketchup and using the measuring tape tool, it looks like the minimum height of the driver chamber in the THT is 8.67". So, it looks to me like the Dayton Audio RSS390HE-22 should fit with at least 3/8" clearance. A little tight, but seems like it should fit okay and I'd assume that's enough space for the vent to work properly. However, I couldn't say for sure. You know what they say about assuming...
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

camoen74

#3 Post by camoen74 »

Thanks Seth! I wasn't sure how the model would translate to reality, especially considering there could be significant error when I actually make sawdust. I may just focus on getting a box built and take a measurement before i order a driver. Maybe there will be stock of the recommended driver at that time. I have read posts on premium drivers in Horn enclosures. Based on the responses, it seems like the benefits aren't worth the additional cost. I just thought I would post this because of the Driver shortage and get some discussions going on alternatives to the recommended driver.

howiez

#4 Post by howiez »

I have the Dayton RSS390HF in mine. I modeled a crude 3D shape for the driver to check clearance in my THT access panel. When mounted, I'm showing 2" of space from the back of the magnet at the 7" depth of the RSS390HF. I would concur then that your 8.25" deep should fit in the chamber. Getting through the access panel is a different story. If you use the normal side panel, I think I have between 5/8" and 3/4" of clearance worst case. Without verifying the magnet diameter at that 8.25" depth, I can't say for sure...
I don't remember what driver is in the sketchup, but i'd try to copy/move that into the opening and chamber to see how it fits to give you a better idea.
THT-DAYTONRSS390HFclearance.JPG

camoen74

#5 Post by camoen74 »

Thanks Howiez! I will give that a try.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The problem is that it won't fit into the access unless you mount it first and then attach the flanges. With the LP version there's plenty of room.

Rich4349

#7 Post by Rich4349 »

I believe on one of my builds (not sure which), I had some troublesome clearance due to making the flanges slightly too wide. Instead of removing them completely and starting over, I cut a section of one flange out enough to clear the high spot of the magnet, then made that section re-installable with more foam tape and a couple screws, screwing that segment into the side wall. I made the removable section slightly trapezoid shaped for ease of service.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

camoen74

#8 Post by camoen74 »

Looking at the specs, I realized that some of my original options didn't meet the criteria. The recommended RSS390HF-4 is still backordered. There is a RSS390HO-4 (Reference HO) as well as a DCS385-4 (budget friendly option). Does anyone have SPL chart comparisons for these drivers vs. the recommended? i am particularly curious what I would get for spending the additional $100 for the Reference driver vs. the budget driver. Thanks in advance!

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

camoen74 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:01 pm Looking at the specs, I realized that some of my original options didn't meet the criteria. The recommended RSS390HF-4 is still backordered. There is a RSS390HO-4 (Reference HO) as well as a DCS385-4 (budget friendly option). Does anyone have SPL chart comparisons for these drivers vs. the recommended? i am particularly curious what I would get for spending the additional $100 for the Reference driver vs. the budget driver. Thanks in advance!
Just took a quick glance, but the difference lies in the xMax......9.3/12/14

Question is how low and loud you need to go in the space you have.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."