TLAH and SLA theater

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
ericdubee

TLAH and SLA theater

#1 Post by ericdubee »

Hi!

I have three TLAH for my LCR and four SLA for my surround and surround back.

I want to go with similar timbre for my atmos overhead speakers but I don’t need to go as big as regular SLAs

How similar is the sound from the SLA that uses the 3” full range drivers? Or what if I just make smaller boxes with one tweeter and one woofer using the same goldwood drivers as the rest of the system? What would the crossover look like for that? I really want a similar sound as the rest of the system for my overheads.

Thanks!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: TLAH and SLA theater

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'd use single Goldwood woofer boxes and not bother with tweeters, there's no reason for them in overheads.

ericdubee

#3 Post by ericdubee »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:55 am I'd use single Goldwood woofer boxes and not bother with tweeters, there's no reason for them in overheads.
Thanks Bill!

Any issue with going with a couple drivers in each?

What size box per driver would you recommend?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'd do the two driver surround version, aimed either down or at the listening position.

ericdubee

#5 Post by ericdubee »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:55 am I'd use single Goldwood woofer boxes and not bother with tweeters, there's no reason for them in overheads.
I dug in on the Dolby recommendations or ATMOS and they recommend the following:

"Dolby Atmos audio is mixed using discrete, full-range audio objects that may move around
anywhere in three-dimensional space. With this in mind, overhead speakers should
complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the
listener-level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as
possible to the primary listener-level speakers. Overhead speakers with a wide dispersion
pattern are desirable for use in a Dolby Atmos system. This will ensure the closest
replication of the cinematic environment, where overhead speakers are placed high above
the listeners. "

Perhaps I should go with tweeters as well as it looks like the goldwood drivers would top out at 10khz. I have a few of the goldwood tweeters around. What would you recommend for crossover?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You don't want surrounds to have too much high frequency content that makes them easily located, and the same applies to overheads. I wouldn't use tweeters.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

ericdubee wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:17 pm looks like the goldwood drivers would top out at 10khz.
Are you afraid your dog won't enjoy the movie?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

ericdubee

#8 Post by ericdubee »

You've convinced me. Makes things much easier anyways. Thanks!