Otop 8 future build

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
kenkenni

Otop 8 future build

#1 Post by kenkenni »

I am interested in the Otop 8 speakers with the dual CD Horn options. On the speaker warehouse website there are 2 optons for the cross-over.
Which should I get and what is the benefits of each. One is 16 ohm at 2k and the other is 4 ohm at 2k. Also Bill referenced a plate amp from
parts express that he says works with some of his full-range speakers. Its the first topic at top of Otop forum. Will this plate amp work
in the Otop 8. I really like the blue tooth option. Don't see many CD Horn speakers with bluetooth.

Tom Smit

Re: Otop 8 future build

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

How many cabs do you plan to put on one channel? If more than one, then you would want to wire the tweets in series, and the woofers in series. That way, when both cabs are on one channel, the load on the amp would be a nominal 8 ohms. If you never will put more than one on a channel, the wire for 4 ohm each, woofers and tweets.
TomS

kenkenni

#3 Post by kenkenni »

Thanks Tom. I will only be doing a pair. One on each channel. So the 4 ohm crossover is what I will need. I appreciate the input. However if I decide to go with the plate amp
Referenced above will I still need to install the cross overs or is everything all lready to go on the plate amp?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Read page 26 of your plans.

kenkenni

#5 Post by kenkenni »

Don't have the plans yet. These will be built using the flat packs

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If you had the plans you wouldn't need to ask these questions. You shouldn't even be thinking about ordering anything until you've read through the plans at least twice.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 am Thanks Tom. I will only be doing a pair. One on each channel. So the 4 ohm crossover is what I will need. I appreciate the input. However if I decide to go with the plate amp
Referenced above will I still need to install the cross overs or is everything all lready to go on the plate amp?
If you decide the use the Dayton amp, you'll have to do some mods to the cab or build a bump-out in the back - there isn't room for it in there.

I have the Dayton amp in an SLA Pro - it's a good amp and the bluetooth is nice. If you do that way, I'd suggest that you build the OT8s at 16ohm, then you you could run both off one amp using a 4 conductor speakon. If you are planning to buy two amps, then run at 4 ohm. You don't need the passive crossover as the Dayton has a crossover built in.....but follow the plans for the HF driver protection capacitor.

However, if you are buying two amps, you might as well just get a drive rack and an amp to run 'em or use passive crossovers in the boxes and just get an amp.

Don't know what you are doing for subs - so maybe that needs to be discussed to determine what makes the most sense for you. Several moving parts here.

And definitely get the plans.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#8 Post by kenkenni »

The plate amps are not a definite purchase. Just a thought right now. I will be reading the plans once I have the flat packs.
Or do the plans not come with the flat packs from the speaker hardware site?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

They do not.

kenkenni

#10 Post by kenkenni »

Guess I"ll be purchasing the plans. I don't know how I thought instructions came with the
flat packs. Nonetheless, Bill check your messages.

J_Dunavin

#11 Post by J_Dunavin »

I JUST bought crossover for an OT8 pair myself, from Leland!
My build is going to take some time as I’m waiting for drivers. Excited to check your progress.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

kenkenni

#12 Post by kenkenni »

I just received two custom built Otop8 PA speakers from our friends at speakerhardware.com. They look great and arrived in perfect condition.
Thanks Mr. Leland for your guys attention to detail. Can't wait to get finished up. Pics coming soon. I do have a question for anyone. I was previously
going to build otop12s so I pre-bought a lot of parts. I forgot the otop 8s and 12s use the same ASD1001 HF driver. I had HF drivers along with
the subs required for the otop12s just sitting in my storage. I am just noticing I had bought 4 HF drivers that were the B variant (ASD1001B). I
guess that stands for bolt-on. I have bought two new ASD1001 HF drivers so far and was about to purchase the other two. My question is do I have
to buy the exact HF drivers or can I just use the ASD1001Bs I have already? Are there any differences besides being bolt-on? Thanks for any help.

tallevan

#13 Post by tallevan »

The ASD1001 and ASD1001B drivers are exactly the same, they just have different mountings to the flare.

If you have a threaded flare, and a bolt-on driver like the ASD1001B (or vice versa) you can use an adapter:
https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?ma ... g_Adaptors

I've done it. Works great.

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bolt on is the best way to go for the BFM cabs. Then you don't need the adapter.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#15 Post by kenkenni »

Thanks for that guys. I pulled the bolt-on versions out and they line up perfectly with the holes pre-drilled
into the discs they mount on inside the cab. Can't wait to put these together. Been working. As soon as
the job gets down with all this Black Friday preparation I will get to work on them. Now I have to get the
right sized bolts.