Best for home 2.1 system?

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
Mikesummers

Best for home 2.1 system?

#1 Post by Mikesummers »

Hello all. I am interested in the simplex 10 or 12 with the eminence coax drivers for home use. Would they be the best choice or would you recommend a DR, Jack or Omni? Not interested in the array type offerings. I’ll be running a sub, either my autotuba or a new sub tbd.

Thx

Grant Bunter

Re: Best for home 2.1 system?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Is your plan to double up outdoors with the same cabs you're going to use in the home?

I know you said in your AT on legs thread you tried the AT at your brothers. What was missed in that thread is that the SPL chart for the AT is actually +12dB because that's what cabin gain in vehicle would be.

I know you also said above you're not interested in arrays, but, guess what?
The SLA is designed for home use, and, as such, doesn't need pro sound grade power amps/DSP or EQ. You could get all that from say a 2.1 surround receiver.
Or a mini DSP. and some Lepai type amps.
EQ wise, the SLA is essentially flat, a great place to start in a home environment.

But the Simplexx/Otop/DR's and jacks will need to be "fixed" with all that other gear...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Seth

#3 Post by Seth »

Grant Bunter wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:18 am I know you said in your AT on legs thread you tried the AT at your brothers. What was missed in that thread is that the SPL chart for the AT is actually +12dB because that's what cabin gain in vehicle would be.
I'm not sure which charts your talking about, but the one I posted in that thread is half-space and was measured outdoors, not +12dB. Although, I believe the chart on the sales page may indicate cabin gain.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The only one I'd consider for home use is the Simplexx 10, loaded per the PA version with the Beta 10 CX and HF driver. The rest are massive overkill.

himhimself

#5 Post by himhimself »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:45 am The rest are massive overkill.
+1 I can't imagine trying to use my otops for HT. Way too much output on tap for use in a small to medium size room. Besides, its the low-end from the subs that gives you that big cinema experience. Now if you have a 50-seat movie theatre in the carriage house...
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Mikesummers

#6 Post by Mikesummers »

Grant, the plot for the Simplexx10 with asd driver looks pretty flat. And i expect it will look even better with the selenium D220Ti as Bill suggested in another post. It can play at in-house levels with my small amp and outdoors if I ever want to try that (no plans). I see charts for SLA pro, nothing for TLAH or SLA.

Yeah on sub selection, if i had known the story on the charts i would have picked a table tuba instead of the AT. But the AT is serving nicely, no complaints.

Mikesummers

#7 Post by Mikesummers »

Well then what about sound quality? Does the Simplexx coax setup sound better or worse than the other BFM options with compression drivers? I imagine the woofer cone is not an ideal horn profile.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The woofer cone is not the HF horn. The HF horn is behind the dust cover.

Mikesummers

#9 Post by Mikesummers »

Ah ok. Does that arrangement sound as good as the wood horns with compression driver in the DR, Omni,Jack? I realize they will get plenty loud for home music/home theater, but which has the best sound? Thx

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It's not as loud but used with a direct radiating woofer it doesn't have to be.