Portable 2.1 setup

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
guppy87

Portable 2.1 setup

#1 Post by guppy87 »

I picked one of parts-Express’s 2.1 amps, as it also has Bluetooth. The little thing rocks.

https://www.parts-express.com/TPS3116D2 ... Co-320-635

On a milwaukee 4ah xc 18v battery, running 2 klipsch rsx-4’s and a 10” JL sealed sub it went 8 hours with 2 bars still remaining for battery!

Now I’m thinking what designs can be combined for a little 2.1 "portable" boombox for when camping / in my overland vehicle.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I used the rsx-4’s as I had them kicking around and am a big klipsch fan.

Parts-express does have a 2.1 boombox kit but I’d like a little 8” horn setup I think

https://www.parts-express.com/Executive ... s-300-7165

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Portable 2.1 setup

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Little and horn loaded are mutually exclusive terms. T18 is the smallest possible horn loaded sub, which you might use with a pair of small SLA Pro.

jimbo7

#3 Post by jimbo7 »

I'd like to know how these little amps sound with different voltage applied. The link say it operates at 12-24v. Would there be more volume at 18v versus 12v? Would there be distortion or clipping at 24v? Would there a voltage "sag" at 12v? I guess all amps are different so it depends. I feel dumb for asking these questions.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

guppy87

#4 Post by guppy87 »

jimbo7 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm I'd like to know how these little amps sound with different voltage applied. The link say it operates at 12-24v. Would there be more volume at 18v versus 12v? Would there be distortion or clipping at 24v? Would there a voltage "sag" at 12v? I guess all amps are different so it depends. I feel dumb for asking these questions.

I ran it under a milwaukee 18v battery, and 12 v off my car batteries. We weren’t over cranking it by any means but no big difference.

Read it’s reviews. It’s a sweet little piece of kit.

guppy87

#5 Post by guppy87 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:22 pm Little and horn loaded are mutually exclusive terms. T18 is the smallest possible horn loaded sub, which you might use with a pair of small SLA Pro.
Oh I knows it. It takes space. I was thinking of somehow doing it with a trucktuba and have it dual purpose

Because making a Sla for the top and splitting it for r and l sides seems doable

So it’s one piece. Except the sub exits to the side which in the countryside isn’t quite so focused. Can a baffle be added to direct it to the front?

There’s a lot of smart people here so why I ask :-)

Seth

#6 Post by Seth »

guppy87 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:28 pm Except the sub exits to the side which in the countryside isn’t quite so focused. Can a baffle be added to direct it to the front?
Sub frequencies are not directional. You could have it face away from a group in the middle of a field and get the same perceived output in the groups location as if it were aimed toward them.

So... Good news! :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

guppy87

#7 Post by guppy87 »

Seth wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:46 pm
guppy87 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:28 pm Except the sub exits to the side which in the countryside isn’t quite so focused. Can a baffle be added to direct it to the front?
Sub frequencies are not directional. You could have it face away from a group in the middle of a field and get the same perceived output in the groups location as if it were aimed toward them.

I knew it’s not as directional.

Still thinking. A trucktuba is 36” wide, so enough for 2x18” wide sla’s to match.

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

guppy87 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:10 pm Still thinking. A trucktuba is 36” wide, so enough for 2x18” wide sla’s to match.
18"?
If you are thinking of laying the SLA on it's side so that the drivers are beside each other, that would be in the wrong orientation.
TomS

Seth

#9 Post by Seth »

guppy87 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Still thinking. A trucktuba is 36” wide, so enough for 2x18” wide sla’s to match.
I have my 8½" wide 2x8" MCM TruckTuba in my garage/storage shed at the moment. It's against a wall, mouth aimed down toward the floor and it's elevated by a couple 2x4 scraps on their sides. Along with that, I have one 2x6 SLA Pro running with it. Both are currently powered by a Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP, which only measures 30-31 volts when the clip light comes on. Sub is wired parallel for a 2ohm load (plus 2 for the horns acoustic impedance) The 2x6 SLA as wired is 16ohms nominal. The pair sound pretty good together in the garage.

A couple months ago I was just hanging out and had some re-bassed tunes (30-40Hz) on at (what I thought was) a moderate volume. The playlist was between songs and a guy came wondering over from another unit on the other side of the building. Not the neighbor directly behind me, but about 5 doors down from that one. He said, "you're not playing that heavy bass music, are you?" And, just as he said "are you?" the next song came on. He instantly got all whiney, complaining about how it was unbearable in his unit. I'm a friendly guy, so I tell him I'll be happy to turn it down. He starts to walk away and I had to stop him and introduce myself. We exchanged names and he turned and walked away. Not a real friendly guy. Oh well. I'll take that as a compliment on the sound system. :mrgreen:

Out in the open without any boundary loading, I wouldn't expect the same output. It'll sound good. Although, if I had to estimate, it would lose it's impact within 20 feet. But, I'll tell ya, the low notes carry quite well and are impressive.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

guppy87

#10 Post by guppy87 »

Good story. Hahahaha

I had to move my tubaht to my shop from my Garage as my wife complained that the dishes were shaking in the house. And I thought I could barley hear it

They’re beasts!

Seth wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:14 pm
guppy87 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:10 pm

I have my 8½" wide 2x8" MCM TruckTuba in my garage/storage shed at the moment. It's against a wall, mouth aimed down toward the floor and it's elevated by a couple 2x4 scraps on their sides. Along with that, I have one 2x6 SLA Pro running with it. Both are currently powered by a Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP, which only measures 30-31 volts when the clip light comes on. Sub is wired parallel for a 2ohm load (plus 2 for the horns acoustic impedance) The 2x6 SLA as wired is 16ohms nominal. The pair sound pretty good together in the garage.

A couple months ago I was just hanging out and had some re-bassed tunes (30-40Hz) on at (what I thought was) a moderate volume. The playlist was between songs and a guy came wondering over from another unit on the other side of the building. Not the neighbor directly behind me, but about 5 doors down from that one. He said, "you're not playing that heavy bass music, are you?" And, just as he said "are you?" the next song came on. He instantly got all whiney, complaining about how it was unbearable in his unit. I'm a friendly guy, so I tell him I'll be happy to turn it down. He starts to walk away and I had to stop him and introduce myself. We exchanged names and he turned and walked away. Not a real friendly guy. Oh well. I'll take that as a compliment on the sound system. :mrgreen:

Out in the open without any boundary loading, I wouldn't expect the same output. It'll sound good. Although, if I had to estimate, it would lose it's impact within 20 feet. But, I'll tell ya, the low notes carry quite well and are impressive.

Seth

#11 Post by Seth »

So, have you powered your THT with that little amp yet? No? Well there's a fun activity for a Sunday afternoon. :D

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

guppy87

#12 Post by guppy87 »

Seth wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 am So, have you powered your THT with that little amp yet? No? Well there's a fun activity for a Sunday afternoon. :D

I’ve thought about hooking it up for sure, and my la scala’s. Or heresy’s.

Problem is the amp plate is sealing my tuba ht

Strange Kevin

#13 Post by Strange Kevin »

Your title reminded me of an older thread from good while back.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20363&hilit=Sla+t39+boombox

Fun idea, but I don't think much ever became of it.

Your Truck Tuba idea sounds more reasonable from a weight and mobility standpoint.

I think my biggest gripe with both setups is: if you set it on the ground, the SLA's are only knee high but raise it up and you lose the boundary loading on the low-end.
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

guppy87

#14 Post by guppy87 »

What about angling the sla’s up?

Or have them removable still?

When I was camping last weekend I put the rsx-4’s on my roof rack and the soundstage was just killer.

Just imagining now that I know that 2.1 amp + mulwaukee 4 ah xc battery = 8 hours battery life.

Strange Kevin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:06 am Your title reminded me of an older thread from good while back.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20363&hilit=Sla+t39+boombox

Fun idea, but I don't think much ever became of it.

Your Truck Tuba idea sounds more reasonable from a weight and mobility standpoint.

I think my biggest gripe with both setups is: if you set it on the ground, the SLA's are only knee high but raise it up and you lose the boundary loading on the low-end.

RubiconProSound
Location: Pollock Pines CA. (between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento...)

#15 Post by RubiconProSound »

Yes, these little amps are great!
I use mine with a Milwaukee 18 volt battery and it will run a 2.1 system all weekend on a battery as long as I'm not cranking it. I currently use it with T18-6 and a pair of SLA pro speakers in half sizes (two drivers per cabinet) and I've found it will also run a small house party. I can bluetooth my iPad to the unit and walk around and mingle with guests.
Attachments
amp paired with SLA's and T18
amp paired with SLA's and T18
back view of amp module
back view of amp module
Front view of amp module
Front view of amp module
Built so far:
AutoTuba. TAT, T18, T30, T39, SLA, SLA Pro, DR200, Omni 12TB, Omni 12 Sub, Omni 10.5,