8" Simplexx Bass Guitar Amp Plans?

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
Triumph_Rock

8" Simplexx Bass Guitar Amp Plans?

#1 Post by Triumph_Rock »

Hi guys,

I have the chance to buy an Ashdown CTM 30 Stubby all valve bass head ( 30 watt ), at a good price. I wish to build a compact bass cabinet for it using an 8" driver and tweeter. So from reading Bills website, I know I would need a crossover.

Has anybody scaled down the 10" Simplexx plans to 8"? I know that its not just as simple as scaling down, as the cabinet has to be designed around the driver specifications. Bill if you could make the plans I would of course pay for them, in fact that would be ideal.

The driver I intend to use are here https://www.monacor.com/products/compon ... sph-200tc/. It has all the technical data required.
What would be a good tweeter to pair with an 8" driver or the specific driver I linked to above?

Best Regards
David

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: 8" Simplexx Bass Guitar Amp Plans?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There is no Simplexx 8 because eight inch drivers capable of handling electric bass are rare, they're no less expensive than tens, and the cabinet size reduction compared to the Simplexx 10 wouldn't be all that much. The driver you linked to is a dual coil home hi-fi subwoofer driver, not suitable for electric bass.

Triumph_Rock

#3 Post by Triumph_Rock »

Hi Bill,

I've had a hard time finding an 8" bass guitar driver? Do you know of any? Would it be a case of scaling down the 10" Simplexx plans by 20% to arrive at the proper dimensions for an 8" Simplexx plans? Of would that not take in the specifics of the driver used?

David

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Triumph_Rock wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:48 am Hi Bill,

I've had a hard time finding an 8" bass guitar driver? Do you know of any? Would it be a case of scaling down the 10" Simplexx plans by 20% to arrive at the proper dimensions for an 8" Simplexx plans? Of would that not take in the specifics of the driver used?

David
Sounds like you are trying to make something that fits your vision of what you want. Unfortunately, science sometimes gets in the way. Since you are mentioning having a tweeter in the cab, that tells me that you are looking for some quality in your sound - that's just not gonna' happen in a tiny box with an 8 inch driver. There's a reason you don't see single 8 bass cabs.....they don't work.

If you are just looking for something to practice on that makes enough noise to hear in the bedroom, just build a little box and throw in an 8 with as much x-max as you can find and go to town. It's not going to sound good, but it will get the job done for practice.

If you want a good sounding full range bass cab - then it's going to be a Simplexx or a Jack. The Jack will go lower, but is harder to build.

Tell us exactly what kind of music you play and where you intend to play the cab - we'll try to get you some good advice on what to build......lots of experience on this forum.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."