10 Years Later - DR200 & T39

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Gauss

10 Years Later - DR200 & T39

#1 Post by Gauss »

I have been DJ'ing on the side for 10 years now, and while my business has stayed small, I have had no end of compliments and enjoyment. The speakers play no small part in that! I recently bought a nice pair of headphones, and I want to listen to music, just because the headphones sound good. It is the same with my DJ PA. I run two DR200s on poles, usually crossed or splayed, and a single corner- or wall-loaded T39. I have at times brought two T39 for larger events, and even added the v-plate, but those were outdoor concerts I was helping run.

As far as limitations over time? One of my DR200s developed an issue where it seems to 'hit the wall' sooner, and needs some attention, but I skipped adding a second access door (regret) and if it didn't still work so well, I would need to cut out an access panel to address what seems to be a loose bolt. My first T39 is a rock. The second I bought and refurbished the exterior. It has developed an interior issue that sounds like a support panel came unglued. It still works, but I don't trust it alone. I have recoated the cabinets with the rest of my Duratex, but with age, it is more charcoal colored than black, and I could do with more of that. I have more plans to build, and some unfinished projects in the top of the garage, so when I get around to it, I will build again.

I also subcontract out my DJ services to the premium Wedding company in my area, and they have me use their equipment when I do. It's active EV speakers, and a small sub. They take up about the same space as one T39. The sound isn't bad, but here's the difference - the bass covers the sound, it feels loud at a lower volume, when it's loud you can't understand what the words to the song are. Meanwhile, when I use my BFD speakers, people have conversations in front of the speakers, the sound is always clear, and at volume-restricted venues I can literally shake the walls and no one tells me to turn down.

So in the end, the speakers are fantastic. Take your time and make them right - they will last, and still sound amazing.
2020gauss.jpg
AudioFlyer DJ: DR200 & Titan39/Titan48
BASS: Combo Amp & Titan39

Tom Smit

Re: 10 Years Later - DR200 & T39

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap:
Good to see you back!
TomS

Chris_Allen

#3 Post by Chris_Allen »

Nice. I assume the T39 is a 3012LF? I don't think I could run on a single BP102 T39.

I always like to see the attention to detail like the taping of the cable to the floor and all the tape being evenly spaced. Makes all the difference to me when assessing professionals.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

Chris_Allen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:59 pm Nice. I assume the T39 is a 3012LF?...
That would be my guess. By the looks of the one in the photo and taking into account that the DR200's are 20", I'd say the T39's easily over 20" cab width (max width for a 10" driver) and pushing 30".
2020gauss.jpg
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Gauss

#5 Post by Gauss »

I posted a lot about these when I built them, so if I forget the details, they are there. I kept the tall shot of the venue/house to show the quality of jobs I can do, but you guys are professionals, so you correctly notice the gaff quality instead. Believe it or not, this gig I did with herniated disks, so my amazing wife helped. She carried almost everything. I handed her the gaff tape and told her what to do while I plugged in everything waist high. Bonus: she insisted I buy nice new headphones (ATH-50x) after seeing my old ones crumbling onto my ears.

The DR200s have curved backs, and I love that part. Many times when I have tried to set the tripod near a wall, it has allowed easy aiming. They also look great - when I tell people I built them, that's the part they ask about.
My T39's are 3012LF. One is a 24" top-loader, and built to match the width of my bass guitar combo amp, so as to double as a bi-amped rig with a built-in crossover. The other is a 32" front loader. My V-plate has two different side heights.
AudioFlyer DJ: DR200 & Titan39/Titan48
BASS: Combo Amp & Titan39