A seeker wants to say hello to become a finder

Grllle

Re: A seeker wants to say hello to become a finder

#16 Post by Grllle »

Grant Bunter wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 pm J array? No, I don't think it suits your purpose.
If you eneded up with 2 Otops per side, one of the great things about the Otops is they stack vertically flat (unlike the DR's and the J Array)…

Once you've decided which way to go, build the subs first. Follow the plans to the letter. You'll find the Otops easier after completing them.
Check out the European suppliers page for where to get what (like PL premium substitute), but your drivers I imagine you will get from Thomman de.
It adds a little weight to your cabs, but use Baltic Birch too, it tends to warp less once cut...
Sounds good, thanks again for all the tips! And beginning with the Subs i have some time to decide which Tops suit me best.
Yes i saw some of the drivers at Thomann.
Tom Smit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:08 pm The OTop15 is not of any extra benefit if you are using subs. SLAs are fine, so are the OTop12s, but have you considered the OTop8? It is a very strong competitor to the flagship, the DR250.
What are the benefits of the OTop8s against the 12s? The 12s are stated to be build more easily, are a little smaller and the suggested audience size is bigger for 4. So i was not taking the 8s in consideration yet.

Edit: i just read the explanation regarding the OTop8 design.

Bryan Cox

#17 Post by Bryan Cox »

Grllle wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 am
Grant Bunter wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 pm J array? No, I don't think it suits your purpose.
If you eneded up with 2 Otops per side, one of the great things about the Otops is they stack vertically flat (unlike the DR's and the J Array)…

Once you've decided which way to go, build the subs first. Follow the plans to the letter. You'll find the Otops easier after completing them.
Check out the European suppliers page for where to get what (like PL premium substitute), but your drivers I imagine you will get from Thomman de.
It adds a little weight to your cabs, but use Baltic Birch too, it tends to warp less once cut...
Sounds good, thanks again for all the tips! And beginning with the Subs i have some time to decide which Tops suit me best.
Yes i saw some of the drivers at Thomann.
Tom Smit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:08 pm The OTop15 is not of any extra benefit if you are using subs. SLAs are fine, so are the OTop12s, but have you considered the OTop8? It is a very strong competitor to the flagship, the DR250.
What are the benefits of the OTop8s against the 12s? The 12s are stated to be build more easily, are a little smaller and the suggested audience size is bigger for 4. So i was not taking the 8s in consideration yet.

Edit: i just read the explanation regarding the OTop8 design.
Yeah the Otop 8 is basically the same except with two drivers and a little less sensitivity in the low mids. Never built one but I have the plans and as I recall there is a 67° angle in there somewhere. So it'd be just a bit trickier to build.

I can't speak for the Otop 8 but I can for the Otop 12. I've built four of them and they aren't tricky at all as long as you follow the plans. With an easier build process, higher performance quotient, and similar price tag, the Otop 12 is the clear choice. Unless of course, the aesthetics of the Otop 8 is a priority. Take care!
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#18 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bryan Cox wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 pm Unless of course, the aesthetics of the Otop 8 is a priority.
That's the only reason why it exists.

ketoet

#19 Post by ketoet »

hello
i agree with the Otop12 recommendation, easy enough to build and build cost is a lot lower compared to sla's. the jarray version is lighter but as said not square to just stack on top of each other. the bracket's included in the plans help fix that. it's a little more work that's all. i got my drivers from thomann and the tweeters and crossovers from speakerhardware.
as for the subs, i have a t30 and find it annoying to move around . it's to low to just tilt and roll it on the built in wheels. i would build the t45 version for this reason.

hope this helps some
greetz ketoet
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Grllle

#20 Post by Grllle »

ketoet wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 am hello
i agree with the Otop12 recommendation, easy enough to build and build cost is a lot lower compared to sla's. the jarray version is lighter but as said not square to just stack on top of each other. the bracket's included in the plans help fix that. it's a little more work that's all. i got my drivers from thomann and the tweeters and crossovers from speakerhardware.
as for the subs, i have a t30 and find it annoying to move around . it's to low to just tilt and roll it on the built in wheels. i would build the t45 version for this reason.

hope this helps some
greetz ketoet
Thanks for your thoughts ketoet!