Old, big, heavy & awesome amps

Is this amp OK?
Grllle

Old, big, heavy & awesome amps

#1 Post by Grllle »

When reading through amp discussions, i occasionally see comments like "if you don't mind lifting your ass off - those old amps are super reliable and are getting sold off because everybody wants lightweight class d amps."

But i never find examples for famous models, series or brands. What period of time are we talking about? Was there a decade that came with a kind of technology that was awesome for its time - and still is, weight or other attributes (which?) not taken into account.

Kind of hoping for veterans around here, willing to share their knowledge and wisdom :)

Grant Bunter

Re: Old, big, heavy & awesome amps

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

You don’t want those amps where the output components no longer exist, because they can’t be repaired. 90’s, 80’s at the oldest I reckon. I have a number of these, various brands, with iron power transformers (not toroidal).
Go to a couple of long time operating production companies in your area, have a chat about what they used to use, and what they found best...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Grllle

#3 Post by Grllle »

Grant Bunter wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 pm You don’t want those amps where the output components no longer exist, because they can’t be repaired. 90’s, 80’s at the oldest I reckon. I have a number of these, various brands, with iron power transformers (not toroidal).
Go to a couple of long time operating production companies in your area, have a chat about what they used to use, and what they found best...
Thanks Grant! That's a good idea.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Here in the states, the QSC RMX series are pretty available and are workhorses. Don't know about Europe...

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

jimbo7

#5 Post by jimbo7 »

I had a Shure Vocal Master a while ago I got for almost nothing (it didn't work but it was just a blown thermal resistor). It was just the amp/mixer and one column speaker. That was the heaviest and most cumbersome sound equipment I've ever carried. Supposedly it was the best thing back in the day. Conway Twitty used them. I didn't keep it long because the speakers were all shot and it was impractical. Now my trusty iron amps seem like dinosaurs.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Charles Jenkinson

#6 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Hi Grille,
I have a Thomann TSA 4-300. Whilst being heavier than switch mode powered ("digital") amps, it's not that heavy, at 7.5kg. https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_tsa_4_300.htm
Can't speak for the other higher power versions, but mine is great - has never missed a beat, and the price is right. It's a 4 channel as well - which soon became a no brainer, after plugging L & R tops in A and B and mono'd subs on C and D - nothing audible in terms of cross talk. I bought on price, reviews / reliability, and specification, i.e. not requiring huge power amps with such efficient cabs. Am not too bothered about individual piece part weight, since I don't do that much, and haven't gotten everything in racks yet.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Grllle

#7 Post by Grllle »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:57 pm Here in the states, the QSC RMX series are pretty available and are workhorses. Don't know about Europe...
Interesting series! The 2450a is still available at Thomann in Germany. Thanks for the tip!

Grllle

#8 Post by Grllle »

jimbo7 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:18 pm I had a Shure Vocal Master a while ago I got for almost nothing (it didn't work but it was just a blown thermal resistor). It was just the amp/mixer and one column speaker. That was the heaviest and most cumbersome sound equipment I've ever carried. Supposedly it was the best thing back in the day. Conway Twitty used them. I didn't keep it long because the speakers were all shot and it was impractical. Now my trusty iron amps seem like dinosaurs.
This Shure Vocal Master looks ridiculous :D Reminds me a little bit of the Syn Amp by Moog just judging the obscurity. Both seem to fall into the category that Grant described.

Which iron amps do you have?

Grllle

#9 Post by Grllle »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:38 am Hi Grille,
I have a Thomann TSA 4-300. Whilst being heavier than switch mode powered ("digital") amps, it's not that heavy, at 7.5kg. https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_tsa_4_300.htm
In fact i'm lurking around the TSA 4-1300 for quite some time (https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_tsa_ ... ImVuIn0%3D)
On the german website there's a review, stating that running a 440 Hz sine at 4 ohms through one module near to clipping (reading 63 volts), the module shuts down after 60 sec. Not sure if this is just an exception or affecting the whole series though...

The price tag seems a little bit too good to be true but good to hear that you have no problems with yours!

Charles Jenkinson

#10 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Do you want such a big amp as that? The general theory is to run amps wide open, and use a limiter on the signal, as is required in plans for horn subwoofer safety. It doesn't make sense having massive available power in that scenario.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Grllle

#11 Post by Grllle »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:39 am Do you want such a big amp as that? The general theory is to run amps wide open, and use a limiter on the signal, as is required in plans for horn subwoofer safety. It doesn't make sense having massive available power in that scenario.
I'm trying to make a decision whether i want to build bfm's or fearful's. The high powered amps are more aimed at the fearful cabinets. The 1515/66/1 takes >1500 watts and i would intend to run two of them at some point. But, reading through both forums, the bfm forum is the better knowledge base regarding pa amps, as fearful's are typically bass amps.

himhimself

#12 Post by himhimself »

I've got a rack of old Crown CE-1000 and CH-1000 amps that were given to me. Free is best, right? They actually are perfect for my use, better than the bigger brother versions, because I run them full open and have enough headroom without tasking my driverack to limit them severely. Bridged to a pair of 3012lf T30's is just right.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas