Titan 48

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Wylandright206

Titan 48

#1 Post by Wylandright206 »

I recently came across an ad for 8 t48s basically unused, 2 xti4000s and assorted cables/rack for 2000 us dollars. I was unfamiliar with the designs but a good friend of mine armchair pirate has some experience with the tuba 60s and told me if I didnt buy them he would. I'm not really sure what I was expecting. There are a lot of people who talk about these cabinets who've clearly never used one. They are absolutely phenomenal. The irony of it too is the Washington state event ban went into effect as we were picking the cabs up. We havent been able to use them for anything interesting because clearly the ban is still I'm effect. But I wanted to drop in and say wow. I am shook. I've never owned a system a 10th as rich and present as this one. We managed to snag a couple rmx/plx amps and 4 ev frx940 stadium horns. My god. Its unruly. The dsp on the amps was sufficient processing for the subs but we also just purchased a driverack pa2. I will say. For a whopping 4000$ secondhand, with the bass rig being built by a solid cabinet builder, I would happily put this up against the local turbo/f1 mini horns they got around here. Havent even booked a show and the biggest house club in the area is considering dropping using 4x pk bass bins to use our titan rig. Plus apparantly an old audio engineer for soundgarden saw pics and invited us to set up at his little personal venue space. I'm stoked. No one really owns horns this long in the area. Theres a guy up north a few hours with a Henny battle axe system and a guy with a danley diy rig out east. But I live in downtown seattle. Plus these cabs are kappalite loaded at 95 lbs. I just want 20 of these please. Thank you bill.
9x 24" T48 3015LF loaded
1x 24" T48 15SW2000 loaded
2x v1 OT12 F151M/2012s loaded
4X v2 OT12 F151M/WAN123.00 loaded

Bruce Weldy

Re: Titan 48

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Welcome aboard!

Just make sure that you find out exactly which drivers are in those cabs so that you can properly set the limiters. Because, you MUST limit them or you will being buying drivers. I'd suggest that you purchase the plans for the T48 so that you'll have all the info you need to set the proper limits based on the drivers along with other information that might come in handy.

It's worth 15 bucks to protect your investment.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Wylandright206

#3 Post by Wylandright206 »

I'll definitely purchase the plans then to get voltage limits set. I've reviewed some of your methods for setting limits using voltage meters so next time we can run through that process. During testing we kept close watch on the amps through a tablet interface to avoid damage using appropriate filters. I did have some concern about the amps. I know a lot of guys in here use the crown xti series, but for 4 kappalite loaded t48s is that enough headroom? I've also read about these amps failing catastrophically. They are in basically brand new condition. So I'm contemplating selling the two of them (that were free to me) and purchasing crest prolite amps. What is your opinion on the matter? I will take reliability over anything. I'd just rather not deal with half my subs cutting out during a show. We have qsc rmx and plx amps running the highs biamped. I'm not super concerned about those as people here have given both golden reviews for both amps.
9x 24" T48 3015LF loaded

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum! Oh, and, thanks for the review!
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Wylandright206 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:33 pm I'll definitely purchase the plans then to get voltage limits set. I've reviewed some of your methods for setting limits using voltage meters so next time we can run through that process. During testing we kept close watch on the amps through a tablet interface to avoid damage using appropriate filters. I did have some concern about the amps. I know a lot of guys in here use the crown xti series, but for 4 kappalite loaded t48s is that enough headroom? I've also read about these amps failing catastrophically. They are in basically brand new condition. So I'm contemplating selling the two of them (that were free to me) and purchasing crest prolite amps. What is your opinion on the matter? I will take reliability over anything. I'd just rather not deal with half my subs cutting out during a show. We have qsc rmx and plx amps running the highs biamped. I'm not super concerned about those as people here have given both golden reviews for both amps.
I haven't heard of any particular problems with the xti amps.....those are perfectly suited to running two T48s per side with some nice headroom. Instead of replacing 'em.....buy one more used one to have available in case of a failure.....I keep a rack with two spare amps in my trailer all the time. Never had to use one.....but, that's only because they are there. If I took 'em out, I'd surely blow something up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Wylandright206

#6 Post by Wylandright206 »

Good to know. I will make sure to keep a 4000 handy just in case. Not too worried about the qscs. I actually bought this rig to save money on the underground dance events we host here. I was about to announce a 3 stage event at substation, before these bans went into effect. Got a techno headliner off dirtybird/confession out of chicago playing a 2 hour b2b. 2x t60s on the smaller stage playing hard dance/dnb, 8x t48 in the main room playing house, and 8x custom designed front loaded b&c rig in the bar room doing 4x4. Really, the b&c system is a force to recon with. Good friend of mine who built it doesnt believe in horn "magic". So I suppose it's a kind of sound off 😂 each driver is 2500 watts. I'm about to give this guy a run for his money. At 1/5th the power consumption. whenever I'm actually able to launch the event page and pick a date I'll put a link out for anyone interested from the west coast. Might not even be this year tho. Who knows anymore.
9x 24" T48 3015LF loaded

tizlaney

#7 Post by tizlaney »

I hate to drum up a slightly old thread but...

The Crown amps had "a known issue with XTI, CDi & DSI amps built from September 1 2009 to April 30, 2010" and could be fixed by "replacing resistors in the amplifier power supply and output stage."
"The cause of this failure is due to one or more resistors in the V_KStart circuit either open or drifting way out of tolerance. The resistors from Taiwan Ohm had delamination at the resistive element between the ceramic body and
the protective layer. The separation damaged the resistive elements, increased resistance between terminations causing an electrical open in the worst case scenario when it is completely broken. Based on findings Crown has determined it is best that all resistors from Taiwan Ohm be removed and replaced."

Symptoms of the failure are total lack of power to the system. The amplifier will not show any signs of being powered on.
The quotes above are directly from an email between me and Harman tech support.

Crown actually recalled these and replaced them for free of charge...but obviously that window is up now.

I was able to purchase the components and fix myself for $14
Not bad for an amp I received for free.

My specific case was a Crown XTi 4000 built on 11/29/2009

"

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You should post this in amps. People who have these Crowns who don't have T48s aren't likely to see it.