What's to chat about?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Tom Smit

Re: What's to chat about?

#361 Post by Tom Smit »

I, too, prefer the country life. I worked at a pig farm (farrow to 40 lbs) while in high school, but I didn't enjoy the barn work nearly as much as the field work. I grew up next to a dairy farm and helped out occasionally with the field work (never the milking). I also went with my Dad,who had basically all of Middlesex county as his territory, where he sold milking supplies and equipment to dairy farmers.

Anton, hopefully you get to come back to Ontario.
TomS

AntonZ

#362 Post by AntonZ »

My grandparents had a dairy farm. As a kid I spent many summers on the farm with my grandmother and uncle. Great memories. I also preferred field work. Maintenance to the fences, cutting grass and making hay. A friend still lives on the farmhouse where his parents used to live. He is an engineer, not farming. He does have the space of the house and barns, which comes in handy as he collects and restores old farming machinery as a hobby.

I will probably come to Canada in april this year Tom. It is going to be a shorter visit than my previous trips to Ontario. My father's oldest brother will be celebrating his 90th birthday in April. I have proposed to my dad to do a one week father-and-son-trip to Canada, surprise visit to my uncle. We will be near Ottawa most of the time, one or two days near Midland, eastern end of the Georgian Bay area. We will not get to travel as far west as Allenford or Sarnia. Your country is lovely, it is also rather large :cowboy:

Tom Smit

#363 Post by Tom Smit »

Ah, so, we share some experiences! Cool!
When you do get to Ontario, have a wonderful trip!
TomS

Seth

#364 Post by Seth »

Glue-

I've avoided Gorilla Glue for years, just didn't care for the marketing. But, when I realized it was a polyurethane based glue, I figured I'd give it a test. Both, the standard and "white" expand quite a bit as they cure, similar to PL. I wonder if it's a sufficient substitute for those that have trouble finding PL or any other polyurethane construction adhesive?
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Charles Jenkinson

#365 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Tom Smit wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:08 pm I, too, prefer the country life.
Reminds me of a song Tom. ...Did it with a mate at an open mic night - i proper hacked the guitar break on a mandolin. Not a band I'd heard of - Nashville based - but very good songs and musicianship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQvIc15j8Es
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#366 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:18 pm I've avoided Gorilla Glue... wonder if it's a sufficient substitute for those that have trouble finding PL or any other polyurethane construction adhesive?
Gorrilla bears no resemblance to PL.

Tom Smit

#367 Post by Tom Smit »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 am
Tom Smit wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:08 pm I, too, prefer the country life.
Reminds me of a song Tom. ...Did it with a mate at an open mic night - i proper hacked the guitar break on a mandolin. Not a band I'd heard of - Nashville based - but very good songs and musicianship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQvIc15j8Es
:loler:
:clap:
TomS

Bryan Cox

#368 Post by Bryan Cox »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:03 am
SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:18 pm I've avoided Gorilla Glue... wonder if it's a sufficient substitute for those that have trouble finding PL or any other polyurethane construction adhesive?
About that. I have a dirty secret....

When I built my first Otop I was in Germany. I tried and tried to find a PL alternative to no avail. Hindsight is 20/20 though so I didn't know to look (or even ask) here for help. So I did what any upstanding military member does; I broke the law. :wall: i ordered PL online, had it shipped to a forwarding service and then sent to my APO box. Of course the Germans chose my package for a random search and found my HAZMAT. Had to pay a steep German fine and almost lost my P.O. box privileges.

Walking through the BX one day I found Gorilla glue, saw that it is polyurethane based and bought a crap ton of it. Did a few test joints at home and was happy with the results so I proceeded on my build. When dry, Gorilla glue looks like a porous foam. That made me uneasy so I covered both sides of each joint with silicon caulk just to be sure.

Not saying what I did was smart but it did work. And for now the box is leak free. Now if that ain't commitment I don't know what is. :lol:
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Seth

#369 Post by Seth »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:03 am
I'm a little confused by this statement. I get that they're certainly not the same thing. PL is nice and thick and goopy, where polyurethane glue (Gorilla) is more like honey. In that aspect, true, they resemble each other about as much as bears and gorillas. ( <= see what I did there? LOL :) )

However, PL Construction Adhesive and Gorilla (Original and White) are polyurethane adhesives that expand as they cure. To my logic, that's quite a bit of resemblance given that's the characteristic I thought was important... "filling gaps to ensure the airtight seal that a speaker cabinet requires."

I'm not suggesting it as a PL replacement. The suggestion... or really, question is; if polyurethane construction adhesive isn't available, could polyurethane glue be a possible product to consider in it's stead? Australian builders perhaps.

Here's the test pieces I did. 100% of the squeeze out is due to expansion.
20200217_141053.jpg
20200218_144858.jpg

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#370 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I don't know the answer, but at first glance - the Gorrilla glue has bubbles in it. That alone make me think is not as air-tight as the creamy, no bubbles consistency of PL.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#371 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I tried it to see if it was as good as PL. It's not even close. That's why it's not recommended in the plans.

Seth

#372 Post by Seth »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:49 pm I tried it to see if it was as good as PL. It's not even close. That's why it's not recommended in the plans.
Got it. :thumbsup:

So, what's the next best thing for those that don't have any PL or equivalent available to them? Liquid Nails? Traditional wood glues? Wood Glue followed by silicone edge sealing? Avoid Polyurethane Glue?

I have plenty of PL. It's not really an "in need" conversation. Just a thought and question that crossed my mind.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#373 Post by Seth »

So, given all the Poplar ply that's available in my area is "exotic" (aka +/- $100 sheet), I think I've made up my mind to build my subs with standard home improvement grade 5 ply Douglas Fir. (unless you guys can talk me out of it)

I'll still do my tops in BB though. Which brings up my latest plan... I'm gonna build a pair of shorty SLA's for my Dad's rehearsal area... and I picked up a BP10 along the way. Thought about replacing the cheapo ported 12" with a 10" loaded T39... But then, with all the 12's I've ended up with, I may as well just build a 12" loaded T39 (or 4) instead.

Damn. Sorry guys. I know. I'm all over the place. :noob:
'

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Grant Bunter

#374 Post by Grant Bunter »

Seth,
I've gone with the cheapest ply option I could find all the way, and don't regret any of my builds for any reason.
Driver selection, sometimes, builds, no.
Don't sweat ply type for goodness sake. The entire ethos of DIY is to save as much as possible, yet, ideally, end up with something much more valuable than the best out there in the retail market (pssst, that's part of why I keep on harping on about driver choices ;) ), and every dollar you save makes that more awesome.

Heck, build a 20" wide BP loaded T39.
I know they work really well!
It's fun doing something a little different, but, if you use a 12" driver, and build to 28" for this one cab, you get an opportunity to evaluate the strength of a wider build. That might end up being gold...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

himhimself

#375 Post by himhimself »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: ↑Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:49 pm
I tried it to see if it was as good as PL. It's not even close. That's why it's not recommended in the plans.
Got it. :thumbsup:

So, what's the next best thing for those that don't have any PL or equivalent available to them? Liquid Nails? Traditional wood glues? Wood Glue followed by silicone edge sealing? Avoid Polyurethane Glue?

I have plenty of PL. It's not really an "in need" conversation. Just a thought and question that crossed my mind.
PL is so awesome because it can create a strong bond even when the pieces being joined don't fit perfectly, which for our DIY speaker cabs I absolutely understand why Bill mandates using it. Otherwise there'd probably be a lot of unhappy customers because they couldn't cut straight, their cabs fall apart, and they unjustly blame Bill. Wood glue like Titebond (I, II or III) will make a bond stronger than the wood itself, but the joint fit has to be spot on. I still use it for many projects (and gorilla glue, too), but if I am working on anything where the connection is even a bit off, PL is the way to go.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas