What's to chat about?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Charles Jenkinson

Re: What's to chat about?

#226 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I hope your knee surgery and recovery goes well Seth. Glad you're well thought through on the tools and builds - it's going to be something to behold.

I'm good thanks - only the regular life stuff to contend with. Have my wife's 40th in a few weeks so will get the J12L's out for that and maybe play a few live tunes with some friends - see if I can't get a video - I like to watch myself play every now and again, to remember what it was like.

We're in the same room as a bouncy castle so not sure how that's going to go. I think most noise is transmitted internally within the castle and comes from leakage since the fans are normally round the back out of the way. We're going to find out. The kids could eclipse the castle itself of course. Hopefully our youngest son won't strip off this time - he was 2 years old - just that age - and it was outside and started raining. Me and Mrs J knew what he was up to, persevering as he was bounced around. The local crowd roared when he finally wanged his undies onto the sodden grass - one bloke shouted "he beat me to it".
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

AntonZ

#227 Post by AntonZ »

SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm Pretty well set in the tool department, but need/want to look into a circle cutting jig for the router
Make your own. You've got all the required tools, it's simple and as an added bonus it is always satisfying to make your own tools.

I would have pointed you to pics of my jig that I put online many years ago. But that particular photo hosting site obsoleted itself some time ago.

I'm with Charles on wishes for the surgery results and a good recovery :cowboy:

Seth

#228 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 pm
SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm some sliders that fit the tabbed 5/8" miter slots on my particular table saw... for making a sled.

No need to buy those. You have a table saw now, make them yourself from some solid wood. I made mine with some red oak from HD. Not only do you get the job done, but building the sled from scratch will help to hone your woodworking skills.
I'm considering doing them out of plastic. HDPE maybe. Something not brittle. Eyeballing using skateboard rails. They come in 5/8" width. Hopefully a snug enough fit without too much wiggle. I'm not sure if you're completely aware of the slot's I have. Apparently it's a "feature" limited to Ryobi and Craftsman table saws, that they have little tabs in the track which captures the rail. It leaves a thin tab on the rail. Thinking a plastic may be less prone to tear out if I happened to lean on it, or something. Completely open to opinions, tricks, and shared experience.

Last edited by Seth on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Seth

#229 Post by Seth »

AntonZ wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 pm
SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm Pretty well set in the tool department, but need/want to look into a circle cutting jig for the router
Make your own. You've got all the required tools, it's simple and as an added bonus it is always satisfying to make your own tools.

I would have pointed you to pics of my jig that I put online many years ago. But that particular photo hosting site obsoleted itself some time ago.

I'm with Charles on wishes for the surgery results and a good recovery :cowboy:
Thanks Anton. I'm all about making one from scratch and would love any further input and links. And thanks for the well wishes :thumbsup:

It's too bad all the hosts are dropping like flies. It looks to me like photobucket is on it's way out too.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#230 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Wow.....can't believe they put those tabs on there. I guess they only want you to use their miter gauges, etc. You can still build those out of wood. Just have to put a little rabbet on each side. That's what you have a table saw for.....

The best thing you can do first though, is to build you a good push stick for running boards through the saw when ripping.

For years I used a piece of 1x2 with a notch in it......finally got smart and built a safe one. Has a handle grip and is long to keep the material down on the table along with a little tab in the back to push the material. Don't know why I didn't do it before.

I just built it out of leftover 1/2" ply.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#231 Post by Seth »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm I hope your knee surgery and recovery goes well Seth. Glad you're well thought through on the tools and builds - it's going to be something to behold.

I'm good thanks - only the regular life stuff to contend with. Have my wife's 40th in a few weeks so will get the J12L's out for that and maybe play a few live tunes with some friends - see if I can't get a video - I like to watch myself play every now and again, to remember what it was like.

We're in the same room as a bouncy castle so not sure how that's going to go. I think most noise is transmitted internally within the castle and comes from leakage since the fans are normally round the back out of the way. We're going to find out. The kids could eclipse the castle itself of course. Hopefully our youngest son won't strip off this time - he was 2 years old - just that age - and it was outside and started raining. Me and Mrs J knew what he was up to, persevering as he was bounced around. The local crowd roared when he finally wanged his undies onto the sodden grass - one bloke shouted "he beat me to it".
Thanks Charles. Hope you have a good time giving your wife a proper celebration :thumbsup: I look forward to video if you get some. Cute story about your son. Thanks for sharing it. :clap: "That's my boy!" Hahaha

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#232 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:12 pm Wow.....can't believe they put those tabs on there. I guess they only want you to use their miter gauges, etc. You can still build those out of wood. Just have to put a little rabbet on each side. That's what you have a table saw for.....

The best thing you can do first though, is to build you a good push stick for running boards through the saw when ripping.

For years I used a piece of 1x2 with a notch in it......finally got smart and built a safe one. Has a handle grip and is long to keep the material down on the table along with a little tab in the back to push the material. Don't know why I didn't do it before.

I just built it out of leftover 1/2" ply.
That's a good point. I gave all my table saw accessories to the guy that bought the last one I had. I'd love to see a pic of the one you made.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#233 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Many saws have tabbed slots. My Delta does. I made tabbed runners for my panel cutting jig no problem. I know there are sources to buy tabbed runner material.

Bruce Weldy

#234 Post by Bruce Weldy »

SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:27 pm I'd love to see a pic of the one you made.
Now you went and made me go take a picture.....

It's a about 18 inches long front to back. You can see it's been used for years.....even nibbled a little of it cutting some thin pieces. Making it long like this really keeps your material from trying to ride up the blade. Much safer than a standard push stick.
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#235 Post by Seth »

Thanks Bruce :thumbsup:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

ketoet

#236 Post by ketoet »

bosch-duwstok-voor-gts-10-klium.jpg
bosch-duwstok-voor-gts-10-klium.jpg (4.67 KiB) Viewed 463 times
This is what we use, it's included when you buy a tablesaw
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Bruce Weldy

#237 Post by Bruce Weldy »

ketoet wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:21 pm bosch-duwstok-voor-gts-10-klium.jpg

This is what we use, it's included when you buy a tablesaw
That's better than a stick with a notch in it.....but not as good as one you can make yourself. The longer nose keeps the cut more stable and keeps your hands out of the way.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Tom Smit

#238 Post by Tom Smit »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 pm
SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm some sliders that fit the tabbed 5/8" miter slots on my particular table saw... for making a sled.

No need to buy those. You have a table saw now, make them yourself from some solid wood. I made mine with some red oak from HD. Not only do you get the job done, but building the sled from scratch will help to hone your woodworking skills.
A hardwood is one option that is used by many. Another option is high-density polyethylene, which is what cutting boards are made of {cost effective}. The advantage of HDPE is that neither temperature or humidity affect it, whereas wood may grow or shrink due to humidity.
TomS

Seth

#239 Post by Seth »

Tom Smit wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 pm A hardwood is one option that is used by many. Another option is high-density polyethylene, which is what cutting boards are made of {cost effective}. The advantage of HDPE is that neither temperature or humidity affect it, whereas wood may grow or shrink due to humidity.
Thanks Tom :thumbsup:

Yeah, that make a lot of sense. That's the route I'm gonna take.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

ketoet

#240 Post by ketoet »

The one bruce made doesn't work for narrow cuts on my tablesaw due to the dust extraction thats on top of the saw blade. But i have a big proffesional table saw with a sliding surface so it's easier to do narrow cuts
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah