Tilting SLA's

Anything not covered elsewhere.
whines

Tilting SLA's

#1 Post by whines »

For bigger events (by my standards) I use full SLA pros on top of mini ones turned in a bit for center fill. I have a set of K&M tilt adapters (shown below) to give the little array a bit of tilt, but...an SLA on top of a mini is pretty tall and I get nervous about their stability when tilted.

Currently I'm using a stub of a speaker pole to connect the mini to the full size pro above it. Is there such a thing as an angled version of this? If the top was closer to vertical I'd worry less.

Alternately, I'd love to hear if any of y'all have different solutions for tall SLA stacks. Hanging them I suppose is an option.
Attachments
speaker-tilt.jpg
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6

Charles Jenkinson

Re: Tilting SLA's

#2 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

This problem of separately tilting and rotating the underneath 2x6 SLA has crossed my mind before. I sometimes end up at a mini truss solution (vertical) and brackets, fixed to a reasonably sized base board, say 1/2" ply. The weight of the speakers could be centred over the board, so the truss is offset. It's a bit involved and not necessarily cheap, but it would look the part. It could also be knocked up in timber or with a single vertically mounted aluminium tube - it's just that the cantilever bending loads have to be satisfactorily transferred/braced into the base board - you don't want the mast bending or flexing with the overhung mass.

Alternatively, the idea of a track running up the front of a 2x3 wood mast intrigues me, offering hoisting capability. Bending could be taken out by guying the mast down to the base on the rear / opposite side that the speakers are on. There'd need to be a short gusseted beam (hang man) arrangement at the top and pointing to the rear to guy down from to take forward bending out. The weight is not really the issue - it's the inertia.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

MulletOver

Re: Tilting SLA's

#3 Post by MulletOver »

I’m interested to know what you come up with. I’ve been stacking (2) 4x6 SLAP’s on either side, with as much as a 90 degree spiral(?) to cover the far sides of the stage outdoors.

I Stack them on a speaker pole but it is wobbly, so I tie the tops to the lights stand. 😑 It looks silly but nobody gets hurt.

I have some heavy duty tripods (16’ 500lbs max) I’ve been thinking about trying to hang them from these so I could get them high and tilt them down.
(8) 19" T39s (4xLab12, 4xDelta12LFA)
(4) SLA-PRO (4x6") Alpha6a
(1) Simplexx 10" wedge