Which Amplifier?

Is this amp OK?
jdthorpe

Which Amplifier?

#1 Post by jdthorpe »

Once again, please excuse my “newbiness”... I’m almost at the point in my build of my two Tuba 30s when Bill has you test mount your driver on the baffle to make sure the surround doesn’t hit the baffle. I haven’t purchased my amplifier yet as I’m still trying to learn that part of things (I’ve always used active tops and subwoofers). I’ve gleaned a lot of information from the forum but was hoping I could give you guys some info on my future setup plans and have you suggest 3 or 4 amplifiers that would meet my needs to simplify the process. I’m not trying to cut corners, just want to make sure I’m getting what I need while I’m still learning.
For now I’ll be running active RCF tops but eventually hope to build some SLA Pro’s (probably 2-4 of the “four Alpha 6 inch...29 inch high cab” version) so I’d like to take the possible future build into consideration. For sure at this point my setup will be the active RCF tops, two Tuba 30s single loaded with 3012LF’s, a DBX Driverack PA2, and whatever amplifier I end up choosing. If I’m leaving any essential hardware out, let me know...just be gentle when you point out my ignorance! I dj weddings, school parties/dances, etc. so 200 people is usually the max at my events, but 100 people is more realistic.
If you’re able to suggest an amp or two from the low to mid price range and one or two from the mid to high price range I’d appreciate it. I’ll probably lean toward the mid price range as I don’t want to skimp, but I also don’t want to pay a lot more just for a name (you know what I mean). Please let me know if you need any other info to offer suggestions. Thanks again!
-Jeff

Bruce Weldy

Re: Which Amplifier?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I've always used Crowns in my rig, but there are some good options from QSC also. The Behringer stuff is cheaper, but you can't trust their power ratings.

Since the T30 is limited to 50 volts at 8 ohms, that's 312 watts. A Crown XLS 2502 (or a used XLS2500) would give you plenty of headroom to run one per side. And when you build your tops, you could move the subs to one side and use the other for tops....but, personally, I'd get another amp for the tops. In fact, I'd buy another 2502 - that would give you enough power with one amp to get through a gig if the other one died (assuming a mono setup). It's 2 ohm capable.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -amplifier

Another option is a QSC GX7. A little more power and a little more money, but is only 4ohm capable per side.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -amplifier

Either of those are excellent choices in the mid-range price.

If you end up with different brand amps for tops and subs - remember that the airflow needs to be the same. So, either go all Crown or all other brands as Crown runs airflow front to back - the others are all opposite.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

jdthorpe

#3 Post by jdthorpe »

Awesome! Thanks for the info and suggestions.
-Jeff

jimbo7

#4 Post by jimbo7 »

Bruce pretty much summed it up.

If you haven't looked on craigslist or facebook marketplace ect., then do it now. That's where I've bought all my amps from. My mains are Crown XLS series and backups are Behringers and older iron Carvin's. It's amazing how much lighter the newer digital amps are. The XLS series are pretty cheap nowadays. I have multiple racks for different situations. All have power conditioners (Furman) and driveracks. Are you gonna run mono or stereo? Ever plan on expanding? (just plan on expanding) You need to decided what your setup will be and build based on that. There's some pretty sweet setups on here you can get ideas from.

To test your baffle, you can use a home theater receiver or car amp with the voltage set with a DMM and test tone.

edit: make a build thread. it can help with any build questions or snags along the way.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

CoronaOperator

#5 Post by CoronaOperator »

The Crest Prolite 3.0 is also a great amplifier in the mid priced range. It can handle 2 ohm loads all day long. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... eries.html
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Strange Kevin

#6 Post by Strange Kevin »

Hi JD!

I like your plan for building out your system. The SLA Pros pack quite the punch since they dont mess about trying to play stuff below 100hz and let the subs do their job. My guess is that you will want 4 T30s before you need/want 4 SLA Pros.

My amp recommendation is a little different: to make shure you are good and future proof I would recommend the QSC PLD 4.3. Its 4 channels with 625W continuous per channel at 8,4 and 2ohms "or so the spec sheet says" and I run PLD amps in the Valley of Excruciating Death Heat aka Phoenix, AZ and have yet to have 1 issue with them. I just make shure to have more power avalible then I need. I consider PLDs in the midrange with Berhinger being low and Powersoft/Linea being high end.

The PLDs provide a nice set of features for their price. RMS and PEAK limiting in Volts makes it so easy to protect your speakers. Just set them according to the values provided in Bill's plans. They also have eq/crossover with up to 48db/octave slopes, delay etc. You can save speaker profiles to them, monitor current draw and temperature on the screen or log it when connected to a computer. Even load custom graphics to the front screen if you want.

The 4.3 has 625w per channel ×4. So largest system it could power conservatively would be 4 T30s and 4 SLA pros, 2 speakers on each channel. Also by being a 4 channel amp it allows you to run stereo tops and a sub with a single amp, which is kinda nice.

Full disclosure I recently became a dealer for both QSC and Crown and may be able to get you a good deal on whatever you decide. PM me if you like.
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

jimbo7

#7 Post by jimbo7 »

Strange Kevin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 pmI would recommend the QSC PLD 4.3.
That's a pretty sweet amp, but I thinks it's outta his price range. (and mine...and most of us)
Strange Kevin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 pmFull disclosure I recently became a dealer for both QSC and Crown and may be able to get you a good deal on whatever you decide. PM me if you like.
Oh really!?
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

jdthorpe

#8 Post by jdthorpe »

Thanks again everyone for your input. @StrangeKevin, I had already purchased a used Crown amp before I saw your recommendation, but after looking at the prices of the QSC PLD 4.3 it would have been out of my price range anyway. Sounds like a sweet amp, though!
@Corona, thanks for another amp suggestion to consider for my future expansion.