Different build method for AutoTuba and others

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
ACUA

Different build method for AutoTuba and others

#1 Post by ACUA »

auto tuba modified build method overview pic.png
I was pondering the cosmos the other day and I had an idea. When I go to build these complex horn loaded subwoofer enclosures I tend to struggle with the bracing portion. I find it tedious to get the brace shape right and difficult to insert at the narrow part of the horn. I also afford the lesser grade of plywood so bowing is a major issue especially when i try to build a wide cabinet. This build method idea I have does increase the total amount of pieces a great deal but it makes the pieces smaller and easier to manipulate. This seems to me a potential compromise worth the effort. Basically instead of all the internal panels being all cut to max dimension minus the sides I wanna try to make full sheets out of the braces and maybe use 1/4" material. The internal paneling will be as wide as what fits between the external sides and the periodic brace plates... I was fooling around on Sketchup and have rendered a digital build process minus any real dimensions of course.
Last edited by ACUA on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

ACUA

Re: Different build method for AutoTuba and others

#2 Post by ACUA »

The panel that the driver(s) mount to shown in red is cut and installed at full desired length minus sides. then the remaining internal panels(shown in yellow) are cut to the dimension that makes up between the first side (shown in white) and the first internal brace plate (to be shown in blue).
auto tuba modified build method red driver mount full panel length.png
auto tuba modified build method second part first set of inner panels in yellow.png

ACUA

#3 Post by ACUA »

pictured is a visual representation of a side panel with certain parts colored green. If this panel was made with the green portion removed it should serve as a functional brace plate and drop on to the first set of internal panels as well as fit up to the red driver mount panel properly. I imagine using 1/4" plywood for the brace plate(s). also pictured is with the first brace plate (blue) installed.
auto tuba modified build method third two center braces with green removed.png
auto tuba modified build method first brace plate on.png

ACUA

#4 Post by ACUA »

shown is the next layer of internal paneling and then another brace plate just like the last, then this process is repeated until the side goes on and with a little luck the stacks will flush up to the first red panel and the side can go on square and true... This seems like a viable method to build certain of these designs. I have a budget table saw that is not good for more than 14-16inch wide ripping but if the panels were almost all narrower than 8" I could manage much easier. The sides and internal brace plates could pretty easily be flush trimmed after install so high precision is not really that critical. I imagine working with 8" and narrower internal paneling would be pretty easy to work with, more saw dust will be created and more room for error perhaps but i am inclined to give it a try!!!
auto tuba modified build method next layer of paneling.png
auto tuba modified build method second layer with acompaning brace plate.png
auto tuba modified build method final panel layer to flush with red driver plate.png
auto tuba modified build method final side goes on.png
Last edited by ACUA on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

You can certainly give it a try, but it looks like a whole lot more work and extra weight compared to working with the braces a little.

Trying to get all of those outside panels to act right and line up seems to be a lot harder than braces.

But hey, who knows ..... sometimes the guinea pig comes out alright!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

jimbo7

#6 Post by jimbo7 »

What Bruce said. You're building 3 enclosures to make 1. Interesting idea, though.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102