Hello and help me choose...

bottomdweller

Hello and help me choose...

#1 Post by bottomdweller »

Hi folks. I am in snowy PA, getting cabin fever as is usual this time of year.

I have a pair of 12" drivers in small, generic cabs, that our band uses as subs when we play outdoors and bigger venues. In that situation, I use a 4x10 bass cab for bass. When indoors, I'll use the 12"ers stacked as a bass cab. Everything mentioned works well.
However, I would like to load the drivers in new cabs that would maximize their potential as subs, and leave the 4x10 at home if possible. I'd like some help choosing a cab design. Complexity of design is not important, but size is, since we move them for every gig. We use Yamaha club 12" as tops and that won't change anytime soon, "Lord willing and the creek don't rise".

These are the ones I have: Dayton Audio PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... r--295-032

Any help is much appreciated!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You could use those in T39s. They're not ideal, but will still work a lot better in a T39 cab than in whatever they're in now.

bottomdweller

#3 Post by bottomdweller »

Thanks Bill. The T39 was the first I landed on when I started looking. When you say ideal, is there another cab that would work better, or was your wording due to the limitations of my cheap drivers?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The T39 will give the best possible result from those drivers, the 3012LF will give the best possible result from the T39.

bottomdweller

#5 Post by bottomdweller »

deleted
Last edited by bottomdweller on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bottomdweller

#6 Post by bottomdweller »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 pm The T39 will give the best possible result from those drivers, the 3012LF will give the best possible result from the T39.
I was writing my next reply as you posted this... Thank you for clarification.

bottomdweller

#7 Post by bottomdweller »

One more question I hope can be answered easily. I am set on the T39's and will likely purchase the recommended drivers. As mentioned above, we're using Yamaha club tops. They are currently worth more on the used market than when I bought them, so a sale may be in order. If so, I would build tops to go along with the T39's. I've read a bit, but I'm tired. Which design would best suit our PA, Omni's, SLA's?

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

The answer to that is part budget, part woodworking skills, part preference, and part pack space...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

bottomdweller wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm One more question I hope can be answered easily. I am set on the T39's and will likely purchase the recommended drivers. As mentioned above, we're using Yamaha club tops. They are currently worth more on the used market than when I bought them, so a sale may be in order. If so, I would build tops to go along with the T39's. I've read a bit, but I'm tired. Which design would best suit our PA, Omni's, SLA's?
If you can build the T39s, you can build some OTop12s. They are a good match.

The Yamaha Club series are good boxes - I use the SM15V for monitors.....got 7 of 'em.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

bottomdweller

#10 Post by bottomdweller »

Thank you both for your input. The Yamaha's are very good and have served us well indoors and outdoors.
I want to order plans now, and I wanted to get two sets of plans, so I have the option to build something else right away if I get on a roll. ;)
I just cannot decide what the second one should be. Maybe a Jack or two for the extra drivers I have lying around. hmm.

Tom Smit

#11 Post by Tom Smit »

bottomdweller wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm Thank you both for your input. The Yamaha's are very good and have served us well indoors and outdoors.
I want to order plans now, and I wanted to get two sets of plans, so I have the option to build something else right away if I get on a roll. ;)
I just cannot decide what the second one should be. Maybe a Jack or two for the extra drivers I have lying around. hmm.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I strongly suggest that you get the CD of plans, because you are going to get the bug. I can tell. 8)
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Tom Smit wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 am
bottomdweller wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm Thank you both for your input. The Yamaha's are very good and have served us well indoors and outdoors.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I strongly suggest that you get the CD of plans, because you are going to get the bug. I can tell. 8)
Amen.....

It's worth it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."