QSC PLD recommended?

Is this amp OK?
xuxaLA

QSC PLD recommended?

#1 Post by xuxaLA »

I'm considering purchasing the QSC PLD 4.3 to eventually power two Titan 39 subs with two DR250 tops in taiko classes I teach. I've read conflicting reviews of the QSC PLD series here (I think it was Bruce Weldy who appreciated the amps' flexibility and DJStubbs who mentioned issues with his).

The DSP options, routing, and power distribution flexibility of the PLD series seem ideal but if I'm going to spend $1500, I hope to get something long lasting. What are others' experiences with these amps and should I consider something else?

Grant Bunter

Re: QSC PLD recommended?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hello, and welcome to the forum :)
It would be helpful to mention the drivers you intend to use.
In the most basic configuration (4 channels with 1 cab per channel) the PLD4.3 will produce 70V at 8 ohms continuous.

That's pretty good for a pair of T39's 3012lf loaded, which should be limited to 50V, it leaves some headroom.

70V however, is way to much for 2510's in a DR250, which should be limited to 40V IIRC (and even then, if driven to 40V will be exhibiting distortion).
You may struggle to limit the 4.3 to 40V without hitting the limiter constantly.

Despite multiple attempts, we can't seem to get straight and consistent answers from DJ Stubbs about exactly how he is running his cabs, and he is using drivers with different impedence in some cabs, and it may be that which is causing him amplifier issues, but we've never been really able to get to the bottom of the issue.

Personally, I think the 4.3 would be great as a sub amp, not quite so sure though when it comes to tops...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

xuxaLA

#3 Post by xuxaLA »

Thank you for the input, Grant! I'm using Lab12 for the subs and probably the 2510s for the DR250. I didn't realize that there are "limits to limiting", so to speak.

If I'm trying to go with a single amp for 2 subs and 2 tops, should I err on the side of caution and use the PLD4.2? Or is this single-amp approach just a flawed idea?

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

The lab 12 and the 3012lf are pretty much identical in both price and performance.
The 3012lf is about 14 pounds lighter though. You will like that more when you have to move sub cabs around ;)

The PLD 4.2 , using the same criteria I used earlier is 56V/channel.
That's not quite enough headroom (that's on the proviso you may run the cabs up to war volume) for the subs, but would allow limiting of the DR's.

I get why you may want to go this way.
Sit down and do some sums on non DSP 2 channel amps best suited to both subs, then tops, and throw in a DBX driverack. See if that's a viable option $ wise...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

CoronaOperator

#5 Post by CoronaOperator »

Why the all in one unit? It would save space and be simple but it seems to be one of the pricier options, although QSC amps do hold their value well.

You could get 2 lightweight DSP amps that weigh about the same as the one QSC and still be half the price. Having 2 amps gives you a bit of insurance as well, if one craps out on you, you could still get by with the other amp.

Speaking of which, if you don't need stereo (most people don't for pa work) and want simple, a single 2 channel DSP amp could run your whole system. Tops on channel 1, subs on channel 2.

+1 to what Grant said about the sub drivers, if you haven't already bought the Lab12's, consider the much lighter 3012lf's.

I wouldn't worry about limiting the tops. DR's with the 2510's get ridiculously loud long before you reach the drivers limits.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

CFBIRD

#6 Post by CFBIRD »

My (3)dual Lab12 T60's are not built yet, nor are my DR250's...ordering flat packs was easy, then came work, then winter.

I do own a QSC PLD 4.3, and after a firmware update, its pretty nice IMO.
I like the features, computer control instead of front panel button mashing, etc.

Someone rented my PLD 4.3 and blew some PV215's with it right at the start of the show....people were like, "Hey man, you need to learn how to configure your amp.."
it was limited below stated power rating.....maybe it was the Djs swapping decks/controllers without a mixer?

I'm planning on getting (1-2) PLD 4.5 for T60's and using PLD 4.3 for DR250's.
It would be cheaper to do Drive Rack and cheaper amps(but pay attn to dampening factor)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CFBIRD wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 am it was limited below stated power rating.....
The thermal power rating doesn't consider driver excursion limits.