Powered Simplex Tilt Back

Post your build odyssey here.
tvent

Powered Simplex Tilt Back

#1 Post by tvent »

I'm a couple of weeks behind in posting this, but here is a "powered" Simplex Tilt Back I built primarily for the purpose of being a keyboard amp.

For power, I used the Dayton Audio PPADSP800 that is mentioned by Bill here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25068

I went into a little detail about the amp there so I won't duplicate that info here, but I will post more pics of the build here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WQogTgb4JVovyrK1A

The entire build was completed over a Saturday and Sunday with a single 5x5 sheet of 1/2" Baltic Birch (with some to spare.)
I built it around the 3012LF and an APT-80 tweeter. With the 3012LF it thumps pretty good - although I may re-purpose the 3012LF into one half of an additional pair of T39's I hope to build in the future. If that ends up being the case, I think I may try the Deltalite 2512 in here.
With the amp, the completed cabinet comes in at under 35 pounds and is easily moved around with one hand. I was able to get the rubber feet oriented in a manner that allows it to still stand up straight even though the amp is mounted in the back - but there is not much room for error. Not really an issue since it lives in "Tilt Back" mode, but I did think it was nice that it will stand up straight if you want it to.

Also, I can fit this, two Simplex 12's (that I built earlier for Bass Guitar duty), and a little 2-space amp rack all in the back seat of my little 4-door Toyota Tacoma (and there is space on top for speaker stand and mic stand bags.)
I'm so happy with this that I think I may build a 2nd one as time, money, & weather allow (my "shop" is my yard, so I am a fair-weather speaker builder :lol: )
Built:
4 x WH10 melded
4 x WH8 melded
2 x Jack15 melded
2 x Simplex 12 w/BGH-25 for Bass
1 x Simplex Tiltback (powered PPA800DSP) for Keys
2 x SLA Pro
Bought:
6 x T39 20" 3012LF loaded

Askia

Re: Powered Simplex Tilt Back

#2 Post by Askia »

This really makes sense! You have the dsp in it, which is really a must for this cab! Great!