Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

The hows and whys of running sound.
Post Reply
Message
Author
CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#1 Post by CoronaOperator » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 pm

My Venue 360 dropped all of its outputs (red mute lights on after power up and won't unmute) after a couple months of use. It is a known issue with these units and it will be a showstopper when it happens to you. The problem is a bad connection between the PSU (power supply) and the main board. The fix takes about 15 minutes to solder the connections in place instead of the loose plastic connector that is stock. I highly recommend users of the Venue 360 to do the fix before you have issues (and you will).

Step by step instructions can be found here: http://www.608soundandlight.com/2017/04 ... eshooting/

This fix is what Harmon will do if you send the unit in for repairs except you will be without processing during that time.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

jimbo7
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#2 Post by jimbo7 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:59 pm

So what you're saying is I can find a broke one for cheap and fix it easily?
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#3 Post by CoronaOperator » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 pm

I think they are new enough that most are still under warranty. Maybe soon the deals might come up.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy
Posts: 7212
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 am
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 pm

jimbo7 wrote:So what you're saying is I can find a broke one for cheap and fix it easily?
There's one for sale on the San Antonio CL for $550.....I just don't see the big difference between the old PA series and the Venue.

Other than the wireless setup, who has some insights into its features that surpass the old ones?

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210


"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#5 Post by CoronaOperator » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Bruce Weldy wrote: Other than the wireless setup, who has some insights into its features that surpass the old ones?
Too many to even start, download the control app for win/mac and play with it in demo mode http://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-venu360. Hit config until the screen goes red to play with changing the inserts/routing.

EVERY INPUT (3 of them) you get: (actually there is 7 of them including digital but you can only access 3 at a time)
- Automatic feedback suppression
- Your choice of 2 of the following:
Automatic Gain Control
Backline Delay
Compressor
Graphic EQ
Noise Gate
Subharmonic Synth
Parametric EQ

Each and EVERY OUTPUT (6 of them) you get:
- Automatic Eq
- Digital crossover
- Parametric EQ
- Limiter
- Delay
- Your choice of (pick 1):
Automatic gain control
Compressor
Noise Gate
Subharmonic Synth
Fill Delay

The Limiters can be set to true RMS limiting, and or peak limiting. With some creative work with the compressors, you have have both.

Then the ability to load and save files to any device, any routing from input to output imaginable, all in a simple to use gui interface. This was dbx's problem before - the bad user interface that nobody could figure out how to use, all fixed now. I can grab a tablet and just drag eq's and faders with my finger.

The PEQ's are awesome. You'll never run out, you can have 12 separate ones on the inputs, 14 on the AEQ on each output, then another 8 on each output if you select that option. Need 34 PEQ's for each of your compression drivers and another 22 for the midbass and then 22 more for your subs? Done! ... and don't forget you'll still have a 30 band Graphic EQ left over just in case! ... and that is just the left channel, you can do the same for the right :chainsaw: .

Did I mention the wireless? My phone, my tablet, my laptop, doesn't matter. If I am in the crowd and hear something I wish to change I grab one of them and do it. Delay stack volume and delay can be done right in the crowd. If you every used a wireless mixer then it gives you the same freedom for the PA side of things. You can monitor and control the outputs, watch if the limiters are kicking in or not, everything remotely. Really good for keeping an eye on DJ's. I can watch from another country as long as I have wifi.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy
Posts: 7212
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 am
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 am

CoronaOperator wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote: Other than the wireless setup, who has some insights into its features that surpass the old ones?
Too many to even start, download the control app for win/mac and play with it in demo mode http://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-venu360. Hit config until the screen goes red to play with changing the inserts/routing.

EVERY INPUT (3 of them) you get: (actually there is 7 of them including digital but you can only access 3 at a time)
- Automatic feedback suppression
- Your choice of 2 of the following:
Automatic Gain Control
Backline Delay
Compressor
Graphic EQ
Noise Gate
Subharmonic Synth
Parametric EQ

Each and EVERY OUTPUT (6 of them) you get:
- Automatic Eq
- Digital crossover
- Parametric EQ
- Limiter
- Delay
- Your choice of (pick 1):
Automatic gain control
Compressor
Noise Gate
Subharmonic Synth
Fill Delay

The Limiters can be set to true RMS limiting, and or peak limiting. With some creative work with the compressors, you have have both.

Then the ability to load and save files to any device, any routing from input to output imaginable, all in a simple to use gui interface. This was dbx's problem before - the bad user interface that nobody could figure out how to use, all fixed now. I can grab a tablet and just drag eq's and faders with my finger.

The PEQ's are awesome. You'll never run out, you can have 12 separate ones on the inputs, 14 on the AEQ on each output, then another 8 on each output if you select that option. Need 34 PEQ's for each of your compression drivers and another 22 for the midbass and then 22 more for your subs? Done! ... and don't forget you'll still have a 30 band Graphic EQ left over just in case! ... and that is just the left channel, you can do the same for the right :chainsaw: .

Did I mention the wireless? My phone, my tablet, my laptop, doesn't matter. If I am in the crowd and hear something I wish to change I grab one of them and do it. Delay stack volume and delay can be done right in the crowd. If you every used a wireless mixer then it gives you the same freedom for the PA side of things. You can monitor and control the outputs, watch if the limiters are kicking in or not, everything remotely. Really good for keeping an eye on DJ's. I can watch from another country as long as I have wifi.
Thanks for the rundown. That's a lot of stuff. Just not sure how much I'd use it in my world. My driveracks are pretty much set it and forget it once I've been a particular venue.....although, it would be nice for ringing out monitors using a handheld device. But, if I have to set up a router, I could just ring 'em out using a router along with my board.

All good stuff to keep in mind.

Thanks.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210


"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#7 Post by CoronaOperator » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:26 am

Bruce Weldy wrote: That's a lot of stuff. Just not sure how much I'd use it in my world.
If you don't do the repair one day you won't be able to use it anyways :bash: .

Honestly there should be a recall on these, tons and tons of people have had shows called on the count of this simple problem. Unacceptable for a company like DBX to wait until it happens then offer to fix it (while you wait 6 weeks) especially since it is such a great unit. They have lost tons of business to Ashley and the like. The people who have had to cancel their shows because of this known problem won't ever be back to DBX.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy
Posts: 7212
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 am
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 am

CoronaOperator wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote: That's a lot of stuff. Just not sure how much I'd use it in my world.
If you don't do the repair one day you won't be able to use it anyways :bash: .

Honestly there should be a recall on these, tons and tons of people have had shows called on the count of this simple problem. Unacceptable for a company like DBX to wait until it happens then offer to fix it (while you wait 6 weeks) especially since it is such a great unit. They have lost tons of business to Ashley and the like. The people who have had to cancel their shows because of this known problem won't ever be back to DBX.
That's too bad.....I've always had good luck with my driveracks and I bought 'em all used...(4 of 'em now.)

Only problem I've seen on one was one that my buddy bought where the LCD screen wasn't working - I cleaned and reset the ribbon cable and it was fine for about 5 years.....a few months ago, it went away again, but it doesn't matter as it was strictly for crossover and system EQ....so, it stays right where it is all the time.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210


"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

la80vette
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm
Location: Houma, Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#9 Post by la80vette » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am

Is there any danger of losing my settings by doing this fix?

Stephen
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#10 Post by CoronaOperator » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 am

la80vette wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am
Is there any danger of losing my settings by doing this fix?

Stephen
Nope, all you are doing is permanently soldering in the power wires instead of the loose jack. No different than powerering down and back up.

If you want - and should in case of theft or something, you can back-up your settings with a computer by hooking up an ethernet cable to your modem and the dbx, Dowload the control software from dbx, it should detect the dbx automatically.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

la80vette
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm
Location: Houma, Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#11 Post by la80vette » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks to all at BFM forum.
I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my system would drop out. Just as the article described, The Venue 360 appeared to be working properly with input and output meters showing signal.
I'll do this fix today and try it tonight (at a gig). Pray.

Stephen
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#12 Post by CoronaOperator » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 am

It works, I've done it on 2 units now.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#13 Post by CoronaOperator » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 pm

CoronaOperator wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 am
by hooking up an ethernet cable to your modem and the dbx,
Did I just say modem instead of router? I swear I'm not that old ... :oops: :oops:
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

la80vette
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm
Location: Houma, Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#14 Post by la80vette » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 am

Did the fix and used it later that night with no problems.
Thanks Corona
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)

CoronaOperator
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Re: Venue 360 dropped outputs - Official fix

#15 Post by CoronaOperator » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Post Reply