Simplexx 110 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Das Jugghead

Re: Simplexx 110 Build

#196 Post by Das Jugghead »

Tom Smit wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 pm
Das Jugghead wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:50 pm Discovered some air leaking out of the jack plates where the Speakon connectors are screwed to the jack plates. Going to see about sealing those up. The speaker jack plates are recessed plastic plates so I am wondering if hot glue it the best approach or if I can use the all amazing PL. Any thoughts from the members here?
I would use hot glue since it is somewhat reversible if one ever needs to remove the connector. It is easier to apply, and ready sooner. :clap:
Thanks - will do!

Das Jugghead

#197 Post by Das Jugghead »

Glued the Speakon jacks to the jack plates with hot glue and also screwed them into place. Put some thin foam insulation along the flanges of the jack plates to help get them completely sealed.

I applied two coats of black paint to the baffles while the cabinets were in the basement and have the cabinets sitting upstairs now in the family room where I have some sun occasionally peeking through the clouds to help the paint dry. Tomorrow afternoon I will reinstall the speakers and do some playing.
IMG_7988.jpg
This coming week I will make a decision on whether to go with a clothe grill or with a metal grill. Getting closer to having this build wrapped up. Again, I just wanted to express how amazed and grateful I am with the process and the results.

Das Jugghead

#198 Post by Das Jugghead »

Paint on the baffles is dry and I painted the ports black as well. I reinstalled the speaker jack plates, the speakers, and hooked everything up to play. I detected no air leaks around the flanges of the speaker jack plates nor the Speakon connectors. Rack positioned up top is not ideal.
IMG_7994.jpg
Next up I will build frames for the speaker grill covers - I am leaning toward a clothe covering.

After that I am strongly considering building my own custom rack system to house my rack stuff, cords, pedal board, and associated gear sundries that I can set the speakers on and get them up off the floor.

Bruce Weldy

#199 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Das Jugghead wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:46 pm
After that I am strongly considering building my own custom rack system to house my rack stuff, cords, pedal board, and associated gear sundries that I can set the speakers on and get them up off the floor.
I did that once for a guitar rig. Had a couple of drawers to hold everything and the cab sat on top. The problem I found is the the box acted like a passive radiator and make a mess of some low notes. Make sure and leave some spaces around the sides so that it can't vibrate.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Das Jugghead

#200 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm
I did that once for a guitar rig. Had a couple of drawers to hold everything and the cab sat on top. The problem I found is the the box acted like a passive radiator and make a mess of some low notes. Make sure and leave some spaces around the sides so that it can't vibrate.
I had wondered about that. Can you describe in a little more detail the "leaving some space around the sides" comment?

Bruce Weldy

#201 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Das Jugghead wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:17 pm
I had wondered about that. Can you describe in a little more detail the "leaving some space around
the sides" comment?
Leave the back and the sides open - the more air that can escape, the better. On the other hand, you might like the extra bottom end. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Das Jugghead

#202 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:31 pm
Das Jugghead wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:17 pm

I had wondered about that. Can you describe in a little more detail the "leaving some space around
the sides" comment?
Leave the back and the sides open - the more air that can escape, the better. On the other hand, you might like the extra bottom end. :mrgreen:
So is what you are describing like a box within a box? Somewhat like a shock rack? I am thinking of putting some anti-vibration foam on the top of the proposed cabinet for the speaker to sit on to try and cut down on the amount of vibrations transferred down into the rack - pretty sure all my gear does not need the shaking.

On another tack I am toying around with the idea of building (out of wood or metal) some type of folding stand to set the speakers on with a shelf below for the rack. Nothing concrete as of yet but thought it might be nice to have something easier to transport. Around here there is actually an advantage to bulkier gear as thieves are less inclined to steal something they have to work for. The bottom case in the pictures was originally built to house two bass amps (Acoustic and Hartke), a pedal board, a wireless, cords, cables, etc. .. It weighed in well over 200 lbs but I never had anything stolen. These days, as I age sans grace, I find lighter and less cumbersome to be an attractive way to go.

Das Jugghead

#203 Post by Das Jugghead »

Another update for the gentle reader.

Today we had rehearsal after several weeks off. I had the speaker cabinets up on top of an old road case which placed them about 30" above the floor. Drummer commented that he could hear me "very well" and the lead guitarist asked me to turn down TWICE. Bass sound, to put it mildly, was simply excellent. First time in years where I did not strain to hear myself and could hear myself everywhere in our rehearsal space. I was only running at about half power. Always nice to cruise along like that knowing you have all that power in reserve if you need it and especially nice being able to cut through two very loud guitarists and a drummer.

Askia

#204 Post by Askia »

Nice, very nice!

Das Jugghead

#205 Post by Das Jugghead »

Askia wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:11 pm Nice, very nice!
Thank you, thank you very much!

Das Jugghead

#206 Post by Das Jugghead »

Still loving these cabinets.

However. . . . .

I now have my sights set on a Jack 12 build or an Omni 12. Can the good members here enlighten me on the pros and cons of these two so that I can make a decision? As a reminder for the gentle reader I play a five string bass in a hard rock/slightly prog rock band and noodle around on my own with funk and groove (or at least my version of it).

Many thanks in advance.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#207 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Jack 12 if it must be fairly compact. Omni 12 is quite a bit larger. You need a van, good sized SUV or pickup for hauling.

Das Jugghead

#208 Post by Das Jugghead »

Thanks for the feedback Bill. I am going to make a decision over the next week or two.

Das Jugghead

#209 Post by Das Jugghead »

Hey Bill another question as I try to get this build wrapped up and make plans for the next build. I am building the frames to hold the speaker grill clothe and when I did a test fit it really looks like they block too much of the port openings. I have included a picture. Can you please advise?

Many thanks in advance.
IMG_8737.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#210 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'd say that's borderline. My preference is to leave them unblocked.