How to build Rack Panels and put together a rack

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Grant Bunter

Re: How to build Rack Panels and put together a rack

#16 Post by Grant Bunter »

Looking great so far Bruce!
Looking to see how it finishes up...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#17 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 pm Looking great so far Bruce!
Looking to see how it finishes up...
Had to wait on the client to get me a router and I've been down sick for a couple of days. Should get back on it soon and update. Doing some things to try and make it idiot-proof, since it will sometimes be man-handled by ruffians and ne'er-do-wells.....also knows as musicians.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#18 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Well, it's buttoned up and ready to go to the venue. Router came in and it's all tested and ready to go.

I tried to make this idiot-proof. I used an old slotted rack panel and added hooks to it for cable storage. I zip-tied the iPad cable, router cable, and external mixer cables in place for strain relief. I'm hoping that it will take at least several days to a week before it gets torn up. (hmmmmm .... not much positive thinking here is there?)

One thing I ran into was a problem with the rack drawers. They are good, Penn Elcom locking drawers - 4U and heavy duty. After they were installed, one was hard to open and the one on top was damned near impossible. I actually tore a fingernail when my fingers slipped off the latch while trying to open it. After careful examination, I found that even though everything was lined up correctly in the rack, the top drawer was hitting the case of the bottom drawer. I pried up on the top drawer and as much as the rack holes would let me and locked it back in. That helped a lot, but there is still a little drag. So, the tolerances are off on that drawer. Anyway, if you get a sticking rack drawer - try to give it as much space as possible, that might fix it.
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2243.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I'll take some more pics when it is installed in the venue in a couple of days.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Grant Bunter

#20 Post by Grant Bunter »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

KJ4BXT

#21 Post by KJ4BXT »

Looks great. Also for anyone looking for pre-punched panels, these are quite good for about $10 ea. I have them in my racks.

http://www.audiopile.net/RP2UM
http://www.audiopile.net/RP1UM

http://www.audiopile.net/Rack-Drawers-a ... c_152.html

Also generally a good source for a fair bit of audio related stuff.
---------------------------
meyers at my job, BFM for my system
2x 24" T48 with 3015lf
2x DR250 with 2510 and melded array

Other hardware comes and goes, but these speakers stay.

Bruce Weldy

#22 Post by Bruce Weldy »

KJ4BXT wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:14 pm Looks great. Also for anyone looking for pre-punched panels, these are quite good for about $10 ea. I have them in my racks.

http://www.audiopile.net/RP2UM
http://www.audiopile.net/RP1UM

http://www.audiopile.net/Rack-Drawers-a ... c_152.html

Also generally a good source for a fair bit of audio related stuff.
Wow....that's really cheap. They just never have the right amount of holes that I want. But, I'd put up with that if they would do a single line of D holes on a 2U panel. 1U is just too small to label properly.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Das Jugghead

#23 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:36 am Well, it's buttoned up and ready to go to the venue. Router came in and it's all tested and ready to go.

I tried to make this idiot-proof. I used an old slotted rack panel and added hooks to it for cable storage. I zip-tied the iPad cable, router cable, and external mixer cables in place for strain relief. I'm hoping that it will take at least several days to a week before it gets torn up. (hmmmmm .... not much positive thinking here is there?)

One thing I ran into was a problem with the rack drawers. They are good, Penn Elcom locking drawers - 4U and heavy duty. After they were installed, one was hard to open and the one on top was damned near impossible. I actually tore a fingernail when my fingers slipped off the latch while trying to open it. After careful examination, I found that even though everything was lined up correctly in the rack, the top drawer was hitting the case of the bottom drawer. I pried up on the top drawer and as much as the rack holes would let me and locked it back in. That helped a lot, but there is still a little drag. So, the tolerances are off on that drawer. Anyway, if you get a sticking rack drawer - try to give it as much space as possible, that might fix it.

IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2243.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG
Bruce thank you so much for documenting this process - really amazing work and very well thought out. Any updates or any other rack projects you can share here?

Bruce Weldy

#24 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Das Jugghead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Bruce thank you so much for documenting this process - really amazing work and very well thought out. Any updates or any other rack projects you can share here?
I've done several of these for local bands over the years. They all look pretty much the same with different rack gear.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

BrentEvans

#25 Post by BrentEvans »

Just a note on the sticking rack drawers... it’s a good idea to leave a rack space between. You can leave it open for loose storage or put a panel there... but the problem comes from the weight of the drawers. If your drawers have rear supports, sometimes fastening those a little higher, or just shimming them in the back, is enough to overcome the sticky drawers.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#26 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:34 am Just a note on the sticking rack drawers... it’s a good idea to leave a rack space between. You can leave it open for loose storage or put a panel there... but the problem comes from the weight of the drawers. If your drawers have rear supports, sometimes fastening those a little higher, or just shimming them in the back, is enough to overcome the sticky drawers.
No question a little space would help. One of these was sticking before anything was even in it.....it just hung a little low. I swapped the drawers, putting the hanging one on the bottom and that helped.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Das Jugghead

#27 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:55 am
Das Jugghead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:08 pm

I've done several of these for local bands over the years. They all look pretty much the same with different rack gear.
I am drafting out all the possible configurations of my rack stuff. The one thing I do know is that I want to have a minimal amount of plugging and unplugging. My roadie is a pretty intelligent but even he can make mistakes in the dark under the gun on a stage - it happens. I want to make things easy for the sound man as well. What do you recommend as far as DI placement? Should it go up high in the rack, down low, front, rear?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find dampening/shock foam to line the rack with?

Sorry to hijack your thread Bruce - I will start a separate thread if you'd like.

Bruce Weldy

#28 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Das Jugghead wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 pm
I am drafting out all the possible configurations of my rack stuff. The one thing I do know is that I want to have a minimal amount of plugging and unplugging. My roadie is a pretty intelligent but even he can make mistakes in the dark under the gun on a stage - it happens. I want to make things easy for the sound man as well. What do you recommend as far as DI placement? Should it go up high in the rack, down low, front, rear?
Rack panels make setup/tear down a breeze. And it protects the gear from things getting changed inadvertently when hands start reaching in the back of a rack.

Not sure what you mean by DI placement....... Do you mean DI as in direct boxes? Or is that supposed to DR for driverack?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find dampening/shock foam to line the rack with?
Don't bother. If you find a shock mount case cheap, fine....buy it. But, unless you are going on the road and beating the crap out of your gear - it isn't worth it. Just treat your stuff like it should be treated and it will last a long time.
Sorry to hijack your thread Bruce - I will start a separate thread if you'd like.
Nah......you are talking about racks - sounds like the right place for it.

If you need any help with the layout or suggestions, shoot me a PM and we'll talk about it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Das Jugghead

#29 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:35 pm
Das Jugghead wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 pm
Rack panels make setup/tear down a breeze. And it protects the gear from things getting changed inadvertently when hands start reaching in the back of a rack.

Not sure what you mean by DI placement....... Do you mean DI as in direct boxes? Or is that supposed to DR for driverack?
Hey Bruce. Yes, sorry - I meant DI as in direct boxes. I would eventually like to have another quality DI (Radial) permanently affixed to my rig. At the present moment I have ART DI boxes which are okay in rehearsals but not sure how they are viewed by sound men in terms of quality. I had a Radial stolen (hence the desire for "permanently affixed to rig" ) and will eventually have another.

Don't bother. If you find a shock mount case cheap, fine....buy it. But, unless you are going on the road and beating the crap out of your gear - it isn't worth it. Just treat your stuff like it should be treated and it will last a long time.
The reason I am looking into the dampening/shock foam is because I am going to be placing the speaker cabinets on top of the rack case. This keeps my stage footprint small while also getting my speakers up higher to where the drummer and I can hear them. It seems stages are getting smaller and smaller so I am trying to keep my real estate reasonable. I was thinking foam between the speaker cabinets and the rack cabinet as well as foam lining the cabinet itself - kind of a double shell with foam in between.
Nah......you are talking about racks - sounds like the right place for it.

If you need any help with the layout or suggestions, shoot me a PM and we'll talk about it.
Very much appreciated good sir!

Bruce Weldy

#30 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Das Jugghead wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 am Hey Bruce. Yes, sorry - I meant DI as in direct boxes. I would eventually like to have another quality DI (Radial) permanently affixed to my rig. At the present moment I have ART DI boxes which are okay in rehearsals but not sure how they are viewed by sound men in terms of quality. I had a Radial stolen (hence the desire for "permanently affixed to rig" ) and will eventually have another.
Got news for ya.....sound companies don't just throw Radials out there for just anyone to stomp on and destroy. Those are for bands with riders that specify. Everyone else typically gets decent passive boxes.

And there is really no way to put a DI in your gear rack - that would mean long instrument cable runs from the artist to the DI, then back again to the amp. Not practical and induces a ton of additional noise with high-impedance unbalanced cabling.

Get some decent passive DIs - I have some Rapco boxes. Never let me down and work fine.
The reason I am looking into the dampening/shock foam is because I am going to be placing the speaker cabinets on top of the rack case. This keeps my stage footprint small while also getting my speakers up higher to where the drummer and I can hear them. It seems stages are getting smaller and smaller so I am trying to keep my real estate reasonable. I was thinking foam between the speaker cabinets and the rack cabinet as well as foam lining the cabinet itself - kind of a double shell with foam in between.
Ok.....I just realized that you are talking about a bass rig, not PA. Since we were talking racks, I was figuring PA.....I'll leave it up there, since it's all valid for PA.....

So, yes you can put a rackmount DI in your rack. However, I still see no benefit to a shock-mount rack for your rig. The case isn't any stronger and the whole point of the shock-mount is to protect gear from jolts and getting banged around. Having a speaker sit on top of it does neither.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210