Champion Sound for Columbus Ohio

DJPhatman

Re: Champion Sound for Columbus Ohio

#16 Post by DJPhatman »

Copy and pasted from my very old (2006) T39 plans:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:You must use a high pass filter set to 35 Hz and that has a slope of at least 24dB per octave to realize the real potential of the design.

If this has changed, I have no idea. This is the same HP setting for the T30. I stand firmly on my recommendation of Titans over Tuba 30/45. If you absolutely, positively must have a HP at 30Hz, build T48. Don't want to believe just me? Ask djtrumptight, he has both T39 and T48. Ask Monomer, who had T30s and replaced them with T39, and he plays EDM! Even the man, himself, who is/was a bass player in a Reggae band, recommends you only need T39s. Tuba 30 are very good. Titan 39 are a LOT better.

We can guide you, but you have to make the final decision. For what you want to do, and the spaces/audiences you describe, a pair of T39, as wide as you can transport and store, and either a pair of OT12 or DR200/250 is the dream system. Small, lightweight and extraordinarily powerful.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

tactix

#17 Post by tactix »

DJPhatman wrote:Copy and pasted from my very old (2006) T39 plans:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:You must use a high pass filter set to 35 Hz and that has a slope of at least 24dB per octave to realize the real potential of the design.

If this has changed, I have no idea. This is the same HP setting for the T30. I stand firmly on my recommendation of Titans over Tuba 30/45. If you absolutely, positively must have a HP at 30Hz, build T48. Don't want to believe just me? Ask djtrumptight, he has both T39 and T48. Ask Monomer, who had T30s and replaced them with T39, and he plays EDM! Even the man, himself, who is/was a bass player in a Reggae band, recommends you only need T39s. Tuba 30 are very good. Titan 39 are a LOT better.

We can guide you, but you have to make the final decision. For what you want to do, and the spaces/audiences you describe, a pair of T39, as wide as you can transport and store, and either a pair of OT12 or DR200/250 is the dream system. Small, lightweight and extraordinarily powerful.
Thanks for your thoughts on this DJPhatman - experience counts for a lot and I don't take your words lightly.

The current plan says the following:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Groups of less than four cabs should be high-passed at 45 Hz. With four cabs or
more 40 Hz is acceptable.
That logic had me taking a harder look at the Tubas. I did some test with Audacity and made the decision - it may have been the wrong one but that ship has sailed. The Titans do seems to have a flatter response and a good deal more output. I guess I can't totally compensate for the response but I figure worse comes to worse I'll just add more cabs. Or if I'm really not happy with them I'll strip the hardware and driver and build a different model as you suggest.

commander_dan

#18 Post by commander_dan »

tactix wrote:That logic had me taking a harder look at the Tubas. I did some test with Audacity and made the decision - it may have been the wrong one but that ship has sailed.

If you're fussy with your low end / bass notes (like me) then you made the right choice.

The Titans do seems to have a flatter response and a good deal more output. I guess I can't totally compensate for the response

You can and will, with parametric EQ.

but I figure worse comes to worse I'll just add more cabs.

Low, loud, small (pick two) so with your choice of low and small, to get loud you need more cabs.

Or if I'm really not happy with them I'll strip the hardware and driver and build a different model as you suggest.

I'll be surprised if this happens..
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's