Very nice and cheap Speakon Connectors and Sockets

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
BrentEvans

Re: Very nice and cheap Speakon Connectors and Sockets

#16 Post by BrentEvans »

I'll use the knockoffs in permanently installed amp racks if needed (more and more amps are coming without binding posts) but for portable applications, neutrik is the way to go.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

ketoet

#17 Post by ketoet »

just last week i had to rush back to a wedding gig because the tops stopped working. one of those knock off connectors was the culprit.
and +1 to not tinning wire ends in screw connections of neutrik connectors. they're designed to hold the bare wire.

greetz ketoet
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Think

#18 Post by Think »

What knock off connector?

What happened and would it not have failed with a 'real' one?

99% of cable/connector error's I have seen are caused by ab-use or plain stupidity.

Having all your tops connected with one connector does not sound wise to me.......

ketoet

#19 Post by ketoet »

i bought them on thomann.de . can't remember what the brand name is. the cause was indeed guys who didn't use the cables as they should. they repostioned the tops and that put to much tension on the connector causing it to crack open. they just aren't as robust as the neutrik oned.
tops where powered by one channel of my xti2000 amp. subs were powered by the second channel.
the connector that broke was the input of the first top so both stopped making sound.
of course you can break the neutrik connectors to but it takes a lot more abuse in my experience.
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah