Shopping for a New Mixer

The hows and whys of running sound.
Preston

Re: Shopping for a New Mixer

#16 Post by Preston »

Great advice on keeping the external processing. Thank you. Lots of great potentials already mentioned. Does anybody have any negative reviews or things they think I should avoid? For example, I've had some issues with the legacy Presonus board, especially with connectivity/software/compatibility stuff.

Also, anybody want to offer opinions on physical faders vs a rack only/table control system? The "fine" control seems like it would address the major concern I have with tablet/touchscreen only interface.

Bruce Weldy

#17 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Preston wrote: For example, I've had some issues with the legacy Presonus board, especially with connectivity/software/compatibility stuff.

Been running an original 16.4.2 for 7 years. I have two of 'em.

iPad control works fine (although I much prefer being out front with the board). Recording works fine to Capture.

The only downside to the legacy board is the necessity of having a laptop in order to use the iPad. The AI series can go direct to a router as does the new Series III.

If you are considering a legacy 24, then it's the same as the 16 as far as connectivity.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

NukePooch

#18 Post by NukePooch »

Currently, I run a full-size X32 @ church, and an X32 Rack of my own on my own gigs. (And a Berry XR12 on tiny gigs). I would prefer to have a physical-fader option when I run my own gigs, but, I don't miss it too much. I can deal without physical faders, but I pretty much refuse to run without a wireless tablet option. There is no substitute for being able to adjust monitors while you're standing in front of them, and to adjust the house while you're walking around in it...

However, being able to use multiple fingers on multiple faders is nice when you're got a lot going on. It is possible with a tablet, but real faders are nicer... Basically, if I'm running a multi-act festival, a big board and a proper front-of-house (out in the crowd) might be preferred. Most of what I do however, is mic-n-music events, or single band performances. For those, even if I had a board with a physical control surface, I'd still put it backstage and run with a tablet. The convenience/speed of leaving everything backstage outweighs the benefits of physical faders to me in these situations.

I use the X32 Edit app for PC (sucks), the X32 Mix apps for ipad and android (LOVE them, especially the Android version), and the XAir apps for ipad and Android (again, love both, but I prefer Android). I have not had any issues with control, and rarely have to use the 'fine' controls. I run a wired laptop as a backup, but haven't yet had to use it.

Get a good quality wireless router, keep it secure, get apps to check on wi-fi pollution in the area (network analyzer-type). You may have to change your wireless channel to avoid interference from other routers. (Of course same goes for wireless mics as well...)
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF