PA Systems an article from an old PRO that knows his stuff

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
Mkulu

PA Systems an article from an old PRO that knows his stuff

#1 Post by Mkulu »

The link I am posting here if read by Bill would have brought music to his ears.
If any of you guys want to really learn from basics how you can get to where you really want to be sound and electronics wise then THIS IS A MUST READ. Visit the rest of his site that's been around for years, and like Bill his reputation for no BULLSHIT :bull: is legendary. I hope Bill will strike up a comunication with him if he has not already done so, as it could be beneficial to both and all those on either forum.They both have the same scence of humor.
HORN LOADED RULES.

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/pa.htm

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: PA Systems an article from an old PRO that knows his stuff

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I've been familiar with Rod's work for quite a long time.

Mkulu

#3 Post by Mkulu »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:I've been familiar with Rod's work for quite a long time.

I thought as much.

Mkulu

#4 Post by Mkulu »

Mkulu wrote:The link I am posting here if read by Bill would have brought music to his ears.
If any of you guys want to really learn from basics how you can get to where you really want to be sound and electronics wise then THIS IS A MUST READ. Visit the rest of his site that's been around for years, and like Bill his reputation for no BULLSHIT :bull: is legendary. I hope Bill will strike up a comunication with him if he has not already done so, as it could be beneficial to both and all those on either forum.They both have the same scence of humor.
HORN LOADED RULES.

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/pa.htm

I hope that you guy's viewing this post are visiting Rod's site.He has many projects for those of you that want to build your own amps.This is for real no Chinese con stuff, build your own and it works like you expect it to.AND LEARN.

wilkins1kc

#5 Post by wilkins1kc »

I had a good read at that site....very interesting.

One thing that I didn't understand related to the section on past JBL drivers that were wired so that positive on black moved the cone forward.
"Incorrectly phased drivers - especially in the same physical enclosure - will be damaged very easily, because there is no loading on the cone."

I understand in a system with multiple drivers covering the same frequency range that all drivers need to be the same polarity to avoid out of phase waves cancelling. I'm not really clear why driver damage would occur. The quote implies it could even happen with a single driver in the cabinet.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

wilkins1kc wrote: The quote implies it could even happen with a single driver in the cabinet.
It wouldn't, the section must have been poorly written. The only way a single driver in a cabinet would have a problem is if it was in a grouping of cabs and others were of opposite polarity.

Ryan Sober

#7 Post by Ryan Sober »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
wilkins1kc wrote: The quote implies it could even happen with a single driver in the cabinet.
It wouldn't, the section must have been poorly written. The only way a single driver in a cabinet would have a problem is if it was in a grouping of cabs and others were of opposite polarity.
That was what I took from it; in a multi-cab situation, a single driver with reversed polarity could have a very short lifespan.