limiter suggestion?

The hows and whys of running sound.
northern piper

limiter suggestion?

#1 Post by northern piper »

HI everyone;

I've got a tuba 24 with a single BP102 driver on the build (to expand my 2 full range cabs). I have a dbx 223 and suitable amp for the driver but am looking for suggestions for a limiter.

thoughts?

Bruce Weldy

Re: limiter suggestion?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

As you aren't going to be running live sound or trying to make dancers shudder and shake, this is the one instance where you can probably run naked......there are caveats of course....

A T24 corner loaded in a garage should be able to keep up with the little tops you have. But, if you run the tops into distortion or want to try and make the garage door bulge out with bottom end - then a limiter will be necessary.

If you just want to round out the bottom end and enjoy reasonable levels, I'd treat this more like a Home Theater application and not worry about limiting.

However, I would high pass the sub at around 50hz for more protection.

If you plan to play EDM or Dubstep at crazy levels.....then go for the limiter.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

northern piper

#3 Post by northern piper »

HI Bruce;

thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel like I'd rather be safe than sorry.. and include some sort of limiter.

Do you have any suggestions for a rack mountable model? I'm "assuming" that I'' be using a dbx 223 crossover, but I haven't received it yet.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

northern piper wrote:HI Bruce;

thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel like I'd rather be safe than sorry.. and include some sort of limiter.

Do you have any suggestions for a rack mountable model? I'm "assuming" that I'' be using a dbx 223 crossover, but I haven't received it yet.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)
I use driveracks for all of my processing. I haven't ever used a stand alone limiter. My suggestions were because you already had a crossover. dbx makes stand alone limiters. The problem is that they are controlled with front panel knobs and can be moved, unlike a DSP where everything is inside the box and stays where you put it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."