Peavey IPR 2 - 3000?

Is this amp OK?
biodad

Peavey IPR 2 - 3000?

#1 Post by biodad »

Greetings
Problem - I have a Carvin DCM 3000L and the channel that does the subs cuts out sometimes. I have to turn the antenuators down and slam the master fader on the board way up and hammer a hand full of low notes on my piano to get that one channel to work again. It's kind of like using a plunger on a toilet if you will to unclog a stoppage of some electrical kind.

QUESTION - What could that be caused from because if it is easily fixable, I wont have to buy a new amp. Carvin who I use to really like knows nothing of this type of thing ever happening to their amps. . . Not under warrenty so I wont deal with shipping it to them.

I am considering the Peavey IPR2 - 3000 for a piano show, one side for subs, one for mid/highs. The Carvin is similar with approx 1000 watts@ 4 ohms per side and is plenty loud. Subs and mid/highs are both approx 4 ohms ( never less ) depending on if I use one T39 or 2. I want that much power and light weight.

Any negatives on this Peavey amp ? I do not need the dps as I have 2 DBX Driveracks.

Grant Bunter

Re: Peavey IPR 2 - 3000?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Sounds to me that more investigation is required.

Have you tried swapping the input lead over to the other channel?
If that causes the problem on the other channel it might not be the amp at all.

Have you tried a different lead?

Could it be the output channel on the mixer?

What is feeding the sub channel? One of the driveracks?

If so, have you noticed the sub output channel hitting the limiter?

Could it be in the keyboard itself?

Here's hoping it's simple fix for you, and not the amp...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Pedro Vila

#3 Post by Pedro Vila »

Carvin DCM amplifiers are very problematic, are unreliable. I have two DCM and 2 have failed. I have a friend has some and fail. I have seven Behringer Inuke 1000 and 3000 in constant use without any problems.
:cussing: :lol:
Sorry for my English :wall:
Authorized Builder for Dominican Republic.

biodad

#4 Post by biodad »

It for sure is that 1st channel. I messed around with cables and connections, see what happens. Carvin use to be bullet proof. Wont trust them on amps no more. Thanks for the ideas Grant, I will check those options. I might have a new practice amp for in my home.

djtrumptight

#5 Post by djtrumptight »

I have a Rane TTM 54 dj mixer that has similiar issues.Sometimes the left side of channel 2 wont play and i have to either turn the gain up high to get the signal to pop back in or unplug the power cord and plug it back in.I only use it at home for practice,i sent it to Rane to have it repaired once and ended up with the same problem.Its so old now Rane wont even repair it.
Built:
2 Autotuba's MCM 55 2421
8 T48's 24"wide 3015 LF
2 DR 250's melded Deltalite II 2510
2 DR 250's flat Deltalite II 2510
2 SLA HT systems
1 Table Tuba Dayton DCS 255-4
2 T 39's 20" wide 3012 LF
1 T-18 13" wide MCM 55 2421
2 SLA Pro's

dswpro

#6 Post by dswpro »

As far as the Peavey IPR2-3000, I have two of the original IPR3000 amps I've used several times per month over the last three years and they have been rock solid. I drive 4 T39's with one of them and 2-4 O-top 12s with the other. Love the weight (or lack thereof) of these little guys. My entire amp rack weighs just over 20 pounds.

biodad

#7 Post by biodad »

Thank you all for advice and comments. I trust the Peavey amp as much as anything i would consider. I've had Crowns and QSC's go bad on me too. I think in the consumer price range, things get built down to a price often vs up to a high standard. Competition breeds options and change. It's tough to trust anything in the consumer price range.

I had a company refuse to repair a item out of warranty because a 3rd party built a chip for this item and that 3rd party company went out of business and they were the only ones who knew what made that chip what it was.

I'll buy it and consider myself lucky to be above the dirt.

la80vette

#8 Post by la80vette »

My first IPR 3000 didn't fail but had a high frequency noise in it. I had it sent off and they replaced the unit with a new one. I haven't had any problems with it. I also have Carvins with no problems.
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)