QSC TouchMix 16

The hows and whys of running sound.
nola50

QSC TouchMix 16

#1 Post by nola50 »

After experiencing using headphones for rehearsal with a group, it became clear that this made too much sense when it came time to upgrade my rig. My goal is to have 4 minimum to 6 maximum mixes for the performers. A Presonus was used and while it had incredible control, it seemed very complicated to me.

In short, the QSC TouchMix 16 seems to have a lot going for it. Several features stand clear: simple and advanced mode, USB attached drive to capture the mix, Apple and Android apps, 6 aux outs, 6 lbs, and EQ presets for voices and instruments. It certainly is impressive.

http://qsc.com/products/Mixers/Touchmix ... uchMix-16/

Other candidates were the Presonus RM 16ai, Behringer X18, and the Soundcraft UI16. I really like this one as my second choice- no app required.

Comments, opinions, experiences are all welcomed.

guitarkeys.com

Re: QSC TouchMix 16

#2 Post by guitarkeys.com »

Remember that with great power comes great responsibility. This is true when it comes to mixers.

The more they do, the more you will have to learn, and the more you can screw up a mix by implementing the cool features. Presonus are cool for what they do as they have real faders which works well when mixing a band on the fly. Their EQ setup is bad but to overcome that you can use the app as a second interface dedicated to EQ etc.

If you don't have to mix on the fly then I'm a fan of the XR18 as its a well thought out device and app.

I have a friend with a touch mix and he likes it, but I just think there are better options out there.
Jamie
Fayetteville, AR
In Pursuit Of Audio Perfection
"A Bad Mix is Bad at Any Volume"

nola50

#3 Post by nola50 »

You are correct. That's why I think simple mode will be good. I may have a demo unit to tinker with. Thank you for your post!

BrentEvans

#4 Post by BrentEvans »

Having played with it in the store... I wouldn't want to mix in it. It might be OK for a set and forget thing, but the other options have better interfaces imho. If you can find a used Soundcraft si expression 1 or si compact 1 at a good price, you won't regret it. Definitely look for something with recallable preamps.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

dswpro

#5 Post by dswpro »

For the money I'd rather have an X32 Rack than a Touch-Mix 16. 16 x 8 with an additional 6 aux in and out, USB 2 track recording as well as USB multitrack I/O, digital snake and ultranet ports, iPad and Android apps, rack mountable. Most importantly re-callable and remote controllable pre-amp gains. Nothing is more frustrating than mixing on a Touch-Mix or Mackie DL only to have to run to the stage and tweak a pre-amp gain.

NukePooch

#6 Post by NukePooch »

dswpro wrote:For the money I'd rather have an X32 Rack than a Touch-Mix 16. 16 x 8 with an additional 6 aux in and out, USB 2 track recording as well as USB multitrack I/O, digital snake and ultranet ports, iPad and Android apps, rack mountable. Most importantly re-callable and remote controllable pre-amp gains. Nothing is more frustrating than mixing on a Touch-Mix or Mackie DL only to have to run to the stage and tweak a pre-amp gain.

I love my X32 Rack.... I thought the QSC T-Mix was in the same $500-600 price range as the Behringer XR-18 and the X-18....whoah. I found out that the Touch Mix is $40 MORE than my Rack ($1066 vs $1024 from NSL)? No thanks....
I might like an XR12 though for tiny mic-n-music events. An XR12, amp and pair of wireless mics in a 4-space superlight rack? Add my Jack Lites... Yes, please.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF