Any Titan 48s near Huntsville Alabama?

joel_b

Any Titan 48s near Huntsville Alabama?

#1 Post by joel_b »

Hi everybody!

I'm a bass player and sound tech at a church in Huntsville and I'm looking for better bass than our 2x18 current ported bass reflex cabinet. The head sound guy asked me to look into options for replacing our existing subwoofer. We've got a typical modern rock band and I'm thinking a Titan 48 or two would work well for us.

Is there anybody on here in the Huntsville or North Alabama area that has a Titan 39 or preferably a Titan 48 that they'd be willing to show off?

DJPhatman

Re: Any Titan 48s near Huntsville Alabama?

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Hey, joel_b, welcome! :hyper:

Unless you are playing a lot of bass-heavy recorded music, or running a bass synthesizer with the band, T39s will "rock" your church/sanctuary.

Be sure to read Bill's post on sub placement. It will help with your dual 18"s until you can lay T39s down. Use at least 2, as horns work best in herds.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

joel_b

#3 Post by joel_b »

I'm terribly sorry to ask this, but can you post a link to the subwoofer placement thread you referred to?

I should have clarified "better bass" - the current cab is under the front of the 3' tall stage, aimed right at the chairs. It is terribly uneven - it's almost unbearable to sit right in front of the sub because it's so punchy but the bass further out is nicer and more bearable. Bass on the sides of the room is very gentle - it's there but there's no attack. Our room is wider than it is deep, so wide dispersion is a major goal.

After doing some reading and thinking I decided to try an experiment. We flipped it face down in its current location and jacked it up as high as we could under the stage to make it a bottom firer (we have about 5.5" of clearance which isn't enough mathematically but as far as I can tell we aren't even running this sub at 1/6 of its rated continuous power handling). The difference was tremendous. The bass is MUCH more even throughout the whole room and the obnoxious punch is gone. The other sound techs were walking the room and smiling the whole time. Unless you are within 10 feet of the sub, you can't tell where the bass is coming from.

Would it be appropriate for me to start a thread in the pro sound area to chronicle our adventures in improving this room and system?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

joel_b wrote: We flipped it face down in its current location and jacked it up as high as we could under the stage to make it a bottom firer (we have about 5.5" of clearance which isn't enough mathematically but as far as I can tell we aren't even running this sub at 1/6 of its rated continuous power handling). The difference was tremendous. The bass is MUCH more even throughout the whole room and the obnoxious punch is gone.
That's because what you call punch is harmonic distortion. Facing the sub down acoustically filters harmonic distortion. Folded horn subs filter it so effectively that for all intents and purposes it doesn't exist.

joel_b

#5 Post by joel_b »

Now our problem is that we have terrible lobing. You can stand in a spot where 63Hz is so loud you can't stand it; walk 4.5 feet away and the bass is almost completely gone. going to try different locations of the sub and see if we can make some of the lobing go away.

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Are you able to move it to a corner?
TomS

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

joel_b wrote:I'm terribly sorry to ask this, but can you post a link to the subwoofer placement thread you referred to?
Sure thing!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... f=10&t=398
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

joel_b

#8 Post by joel_b »

Thanks for the link - I had read that thread.

Corners - well... we don't really have one. Our "building" is a Sprung.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGVU36uBXY

It's 90 x 70, not quite as long as the one in the video. The room orientation is sideways with a 20' deep stage about 35' wide, and then wide chairs around. Acoustics are a bit like a planetarium, particularly in the mids and highs.

I did move the sub 2 feet to the right and that massively improved the lobing. I can probably shift it another 1' rearward and see if that helps reduce mods front to back (or side to side, if we're talking length vs. width).

Grant Bunter

#9 Post by Grant Bunter »

Obviously corners are best, as they add 12dB in output.
When you don't have a corner, go for a wall! That's a 6dB increase for free.

Point the mouth to the wall, and have it no further than say 8" away.
going to try different locations of the sub and see if we can make some of the lobing go away.
Regardless of any room shape or type, make the time to do the "subwoofer crawl" to find the best location for subs. Put a sub in the prime listening position and have it playing. Crawl around the room, and where ever the bass sounds strongest (it may do so in a number of locations, which may also leave you with an aesthetically pleasing position) is where a sub should go.
With more than 1 sub, a second can be placed at another "good" spot, and so on...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Vinnyw

#10 Post by Vinnyw »

Well, there is a pair in Statesville, NC on Craigslist with Eminence Kappalite 3015LF drivers for $500. It's about 400-ish miles, so you might be able to ship them LTL for $100 to $150... I've interacted with the guy; I just don't have the cash right now, else they'd probably be in my possession... https://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/5354062210.html
Vinny

DR200 Build X 4
Planning WH8 build
Contemplating a sub build...