T39 Lite - worth the gamble? - maybe

Post your build odyssey here.
Old Ears

Re: T39 Lite - worth the gamble? - maybe

#16 Post by Old Ears »

Harley,

Have you finished this thing? And if you have, how does it sound?
Steve Old Ears

"Sometimes I feel like an analog guy in a digital world."

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#17 Post by Harley »

Almost. I've had some major distractions and some other cabs to build mean-time plus the client for these is no longer viable. Soon...very soon...they'll be finished. Just a matter of paint..
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

peteaphid

#18 Post by peteaphid »

hi there,

I'm new to the world of BFM, and contemplating my first build - a single T39 to be driven by an auto amp and leisure battery. I'm hoping to make it as light as practical (not possible, given my novice statu) so was wondering what the final conclusion was with your T39s - I can't find anything beyond this: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... uper+light

In particular, I'm wondering how the wood stood up to knocks and scratches, as I understand poplar ply is fairly soft. And how did they sound?

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#19 Post by Harley »

In the review section somewhere there'll be a post where I tried these out at a friend's place in the country-side.

They sound great in my opinion. They are Duratex coated and seem to stand up to hauling around.

If I was building more T39s for myself, I'd certainly go this way again. They are ridiculously light weight.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

peteaphid

#20 Post by peteaphid »

Cheers, Harley. I'm very encouraged by all this. I'm going to go for a lighter and less powerful driver, and the lightest decent ply I can find/afford, but I'm going to build it as per the instructions, because I don't have the experience. Having said that, I'm enlisting the help of a friend for the build, who knows what he's doing, so we may go for some weight reduction on the braces, as you did.

Rickisan

#21 Post by Rickisan »

peteaphid, Welcome to the forum.

As long as the friend who "Knows what he's doing" reads through the plans at least 3-4 times and follows the techiniques as directed everything is fine. Some techniques and methods employed in the plans vary significantly from traditional accepted woodworking practice. As long as the builder is open minded and accepts these differences everthing is good.

If he does anything different, varies from the plans, does steps out of order, uses the wrong glue... it can cause problems... sometimes major. Other forum members are likely to chime in on this theme if they havent already.

These speakers are the best DIY opton available, perform better than commercial cabinets costing way more, often times 3-4 times more. The majority are quite simple to build... but adherence to the plans is of the utmost importance.

ok rant over sorry
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

peteaphid

#22 Post by peteaphid »

thanks for the advice, and don't worry, I have no intention of "redesigning" the speaker:) We'll follow the instructions and keep to the dimensions, but may go for some weight reduction on the bracing, as the OP did - nothing dramatic.

Scott Brochu

#23 Post by Scott Brochu »

Nice job!

Do you think the T39 could be done with 1/4" BB 5 ply?
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#24 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Scott Brochu wrote:Nice job!

Sure, with braces every three inches. :shock:

I don't think you'd save more than another pound or two, and it would be a lot of work.

DJPhatman

#25 Post by DJPhatman »

Scott Brochu wrote:Nice job!

Bill has said before that they can be built out of 3/8" (9mm) Baltic birch and 1/4" (6mm) Baltic birch braces, using dados on all the panels. If I were building any slim Titans (16-20" (400-500mm)wide), this is how I would build them.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Scott Brochu

#26 Post by Scott Brochu »

Thanks guys, Been out of the loop for a little bit.

I think I am going to try one or two out of 3/8". With the 1/4" innards.
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

DJPhatman

#27 Post by DJPhatman »

Scott Brochu wrote:Thanks guys, Been out of the loop for a little bit.

I think I am going to try one or two out of 3/8". With the 1/4" innards.
Please document it for us. I would appreciate it. A pair of 16" wide T39s loaded with the 3012LF should just rock any small venue!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

dswpro

#28 Post by dswpro »

As someone who moves his T39's around a LOT (3-6 local gigs/month ) I appreciate the lighter weight but would not bother going thinner than 1/2 inch. I've got gouges from dollies, trailers and such that are easily 1/4 inch deep and would be afraid of a puncture happening in 3/8 inch plywood. Just saying. I'm already going through a couple plastic corners per month and plenty of Krylon / Duratex touch up.

Tom Smit

#29 Post by Tom Smit »

dswpro wrote:As someone who moves his T39's around a LOT (3-6 local gigs/month ) I appreciate the lighter weight but would not bother going thinner than 1/2 inch. I've got gouges from dollies, trailers and such that are easily 1/4 inch deep and would be afraid of a puncture happening in 3/8 inch plywood. Just saying. I'm already going through a couple plastic corners per month and plenty of Krylon / Duratex touch up.
:shock:
Even with a dolly cart?
TomS

CoronaOperator

#30 Post by CoronaOperator »

dswpro wrote:As someone who moves his T39's around a LOT (3-6 local gigs/month ) I appreciate the lighter weight but would not bother going thinner than 1/2 inch. I've got gouges from dollies, trailers and such that are easily 1/4 inch deep and would be afraid of a puncture happening in 3/8 inch plywood. Just saying. I'm already going through a couple plastic corners per month and plenty of Krylon / Duratex touch up.
What airline do you normally work for? :lol: :lol:
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience