4 T48s and 2 Cosyne synergy horn: Canberra Oz

Post your build odyssey here.
Grant Bunter

Re: 4 T48s and 2 DR250- Horizonize and Marko: Canberra Austr

#31 Post by Grant Bunter »

Oh, and am I reading right?
You're sending the same passband (LF) to two different types of cabs?

If so: :cop: lol

The W Bins and T48's have different path lengths, which will invariably cause phase issues...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

horizonize

#32 Post by horizonize »

Can you programme the bunker without using a USB?
As in set,save and forget standalone?

Or, if you have to use USB, can you set then save, and then operate the unit standalone?

Overall, sounds like a RS RS485/USB driver issue...
yes you could but the limiters for each band do not seem to be able to be set it the box itself.

haven't tried to save then disconnect and operate standalone. i think that would work fine and obviously we would go that path for a gig situation.

i suspect a usb driver issue. thought i installed it right but its not a simple download driver and install you have to go to device manager and locate driver dll file manually. bit fidly but as we spend a bit more tme with it im sure it will be fine.

horizonize

#33 Post by horizonize »

Oh, and am I reading right?
You're sending the same passband (LF) to two different types of cabs?

If so: lol

The W Bins and T48's have different path lengths, which will invariably cause phase issues...
No we are sending same passband to the GX7 amp which can either do stereo or dual mono operation using a set crossover internally that sends one channel to subs <100hz and one channel to mids >100hz.

So still running four way with each cab operating one band. Just running the T48s and w bins of one channel each.

Will change once we pick up a fourth amp.

horizonize

#34 Post by horizonize »

https://vimeo.com/103028926

video of system test.

90x60 degree Cosyne synergy horn prototype test. no eq or tuning

BFM T48 subs loaded with Ande LB1560/ 18 sound 15nlw9300 w bins, pyle pdmr5's, BMS 4550 cd

Bunker audio BPD 1 plus processor, QSC gx7, yamaha p4500, titan tdj2000 amps

shot with iPhone

nerv

#35 Post by nerv »

Nice synergy horn where did you get the design? Always wanted to build one. Sounds good for no eq but then again is an iphone. Cant wait till you have the DRs :hyper:
Built:
Curved SLA
TLAH
THT LP

Building:
Otop 12

marko

#36 Post by marko »

Not really a BFM specific post but spent the last few evenings making some boxes to seal in the drivers on the synergies. Going to rebate the frames so they can take some 5mm perspex so we can show of the unique design of the cab. Might even experiment with some LED strip lighting down the track to finish it off. Just doing some other prep work too so we are all good to get painting on Saturday, then hopefully drag it all down to the nearby playing fields for some serious testing (might even get it to war volume!)

Getting pretty damn exciting to have it close to performance ready.

Mark
Attachments
photo(7).JPG
photo(7).JPG (33 KiB) Viewed 3055 times

horizonize

#37 Post by horizonize »

hey all.

sunny/rainy saturday and we've nearly finished the synergies, so we walked the titans and gear down to the local oval for some testing. well we were going to test. just ended up setting it so it sounded good and then playing frisbee for 4 hours.

Finally sorted out the rack. Bunker bpd 1+,QSC GX7 for T48 subs, Yamaha p4500 for kick bins (100-400hz) and picked up an Ashly SRA 4150 running the hi mids (500-1000hz) and BMS compression drivers.

All fits in 6Ru rack and runs off a 1000w kippor genny.

https://vimeo.com/104171610 - Track is Widachi by Mote. I'll upload some clips of Norah Jones, Miles Davis and Pavarotti shortly.

Spaced the tops about 15m apart. Need to work on the stands as they were flexing a lot.

limiting the titans at about 40v. still getting the hang of the limiting. our auto-ranging dvm doesn't seem to pick the ranges often (if at all). using audacity to generate a 60hz sine tone 0.8 amplitude, but not stable on the voltmeter. Any tips?

the yamaha amp will probably go eventually. its second hand and puts out a nasty buzz when ramping up. not so much in the output signal as a power supply. think its a dud. especially when you factor in that it is over 2x as heavy as the qsc which has 3x the guts.

sound? pretty epic considering that we still haven't got into the eq, compression or delays. just balancing it all out with the four amp channels. quite clear and onsistent throughout the 90x60 coverage pattern, although it drops off dramatically outside that pattern.

Probably the tops were outrunning the subs a little but once we build the second 15NLW9300 T48 pair I think we will be fairly in the zone for our needs/ space at the moment. That said the bass from the Titans is so lovely. really warm and round and not overbearing even when its quite loud. Great work Mr Fitzmaurice!

horizonize

#38 Post by horizonize »

St Germain - Sure Thing

https://vimeo.com/104174730

marko

#39 Post by marko »

https://vimeo.com/104392004

This vid was recorded on my Canon DSLR and has much better audio reproduction. Wait for the zoom out to get a feel for the carry and clarity of this system.

Only got 2 more titans to build and we are set!

marko

#40 Post by marko »

Hey BFM gang.
We are now on facebook- https://www.facebook.com/communifi
Feel free to like us and get updates about our progress, upcoming gigs/parties as well as looking at our testing video's etc. We still have another 2 T48s to go...so there is still a good while until we are completely done with our making of much sawdust!

marko

#41 Post by marko »

So the saga of our build has come to an end. Last week we put in some big evenings and made great progress. We managed to finish off the painting for the final 2 titans on Saturday morning just in time to drag it all out to the Australian National University Art school Ball. Our System was the main stage and crushed for hours with no sweat. Was sounding sweet and we got lots of compliments from various DJs and people in the promoting scene in Canberra.We were running comfortably below war volume for the whole evening and it was hitting the spot volume wise for the venue. There were about 300/400 people at the main stage at the height of the evening and we had a really nice even sound field right across the audience. We also put together some pretty spec monitors using a pair of Azurahorn fibreglass wave guides with compression drivers and a set of Acoustic Research floorstanders- after all the artists themselves deserve nice sound in the booth too right?

The Djs were pretty well behaved and didn't up the gains on the mixer too much throughout the night but a few tracks that were not recorded at 320k sounded balls on the system. We had no issues at all on the night with our gear and the only stuff up was on the part of the crew that provided the decks with no power or rca cords. So we had a bunch of helpers running around the campus stealing kettle power cords so we could get the decks up and running.

The following day Horizonize took the system out to a small local bar that has been putting on lots of bass/beats music in the last while for an afternoon/evening gig with Sam Binga from the UK headlining. I was unable to attend but apparently it got pretty wild- definitely a level above the regular systems the guys get out there.

In the end we got a local audio consulting guru (who we found through his blog on his own home made synergy horn experiments) to come out and help us dial in the system a few weekends before our debut outing. We were able to do away with the W bins which were giving a bizarre trough in their Frequency response, and cross directly between the titans and our Synergy horns. We managed to get +-2db from 40hz-20k hz! We were also hitting 100db 1v/m. So all in all-very happy with our system. It also means we have an extra pair of 18sound 15" drivers that can go in another set of titans down the track should we feel the need :)

Our experience with the Titans has been really great. They were easy to build, and definitely bring the goods in the output department. Because they are an efficient design we can run our whole rig off my tiny inverter Generator which means we are free-er to throw outdoor parties without too much hassle. Thanks to all the people on the forums here who helped us with tips/ideas. It definitely made the experience an enjoyable and positive one.

Here is a pic of the system ready to shred indoors-

If you want to keep up to speed with our system and the events that we are involved in- like us on facebook to keep in the loop.
https://www.facebook.com/communifi
Attachments
photo(15).JPG

bitSmasher

Re: 4 T48s and 2 Cosyne synergy horn: Canberra Oz

#42 Post by bitSmasher »

I wondered what your monitors are... pricing isn't rediculous for such a thing, surprisingly

How are the Ande drivers faring? Moving serious air?
Really hope they are the bargain we're needing for Australian builders

horizonize

#43 Post by horizonize »

Hey bitsmasher.

Andes are owning. Pretty solid for $200 :)

The Azuras are wild. So clean and spacious. Pretty hard to track down as well. Martin makes them to order in Perth but the bigger ones would be extremely expensive to ship east side. I ended up picking up a second hand pair from a guy in Liverpool who had them intending to use them as rears in a surround sound system for his home theatre. Ridiculous.

They are loaded with Selenium DT220is which are crossed at 2k. Think eventually I'll build some separate bass horns and upgrade the CDS to some co-ax BMS's.

They are housed in my living room :)

We still have a pair of QSC waveguides to do something with. Any ideas? What drivers were you using in the Reclaim the Streets set up?

marko

#44 Post by marko »

Yeah the Ande's seem to do the trick pretty damn well- I guess the only downside with them is that they weigh an absolute tonne compared to the nicer 18sound drivers we also got. With our cabs using hardwood ply for the external panels, and regular radiata for all the internals and bracing they do start to weigh a fair bit in the end.

Geordie

#45 Post by Geordie »

Only just saw this thread, if you fellas ever need additional titan coverage, let me know, i built 2x 24" t48's a few years ago with the eminence 3015's...used them a few times for NYE and Easter thursday gigs in Mercury bar. Alsao used them at a car show in mitchel one weekend and kept getting told to turn them down coz they were messing with the car SPL comp hehehehehe

one day ill clean my shed up enough top kick on with my 4xdr280's.......bought all drivers and tweeters ready to go....
2 x 24" T48 - 3015lf
1x 19" TAT - jbl 1014 (A mate blew the JBL, now has infinity1060w)

To come......
4xDR280's 3012HO (Almost complete!!!)