DEQing Jack 10s for on stage use

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
CBIERN

DEQing Jack 10s for on stage use

#1 Post by CBIERN »

I play keyboards with a pair of Jack 10s on an amp stand 2 or 3 feet behind me in most clubs.
I've been using an baseline EQ curve suggested here and stored in a Crown XTI. Not bad but no real time tweaking is possible. Since I've got a DEQ 2496 I thought I'd give that a go.
Since the keys are in the mains and the stage sound is primarily for me, where should I put the mic for RTAing, at my head position or out in the room since I'm putting out around 90+db and that obviously is heard by the audience?
If out in the room do I just choose an average club to RTA (it's not always possible to blast pink noise before a gig) or RTA everywhere I can and take an average. Or am I working too hard and should just set the baseline EQ much as I have and take advantage of the compression and limiting etc that are also in the DEQ?

Thanks for your input.
Charlie
2X Tuba 24 HL10c
2X Omni 12
2X DR 250
Omni 10
6X Wedgehorn 6
2X Jack 10

Grant Bunter

Re: DEQing Jack 10s for on stage use

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi Charlie,

With the DEQ I would copy the curve you've been using in the XTI into the GEQ section, RTA that outdoors, then save the result as the base curve, calling it something like "system tune" or "baseline" (Remember to set the EQ in the XTI to flat again, or turn it off).

The whole thing about room to room is that, perhaps, at best you will find one in ten rooms are the same acoustically.
So a medium size club room won't cover every situation.

Once you get it down pat, it takes about 45 seconds to RTA with the DEQ, and the output of pink noise only has to be high enough to overcome ambient levels. The DEQ will tell you if that level isn't high enough at any time with the message something like "Ambient noise to high" on screen. Adjust pink noise output gain with the large dial if that's the case.

I would recall your base save each time and RTA in room, with the RTA mike about a yard from the cabs. Save the result as the venue name. After about 15 or 20 such saves, you might find you have a majority of rooms covered. You can tweak the resultant GEQ manually to taste at your listening position of course, at any time.

If you can't find a save that seems to work because something is way out of whack, do a quick RTA.

Hope this helps...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: DEQing Jack 10s for on stage use

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CBIERN wrote: Since the keys are in the mains and the stage sound is primarily for me, where should I put the mic for RTAing, at my head position or out in the room since I'm putting out around 90+db and that obviously is heard by the audience?
If you're EQing for you put the mic where your head is. If it was for the room with no PA then you'd put the mic in the room and live with whatever the tone was on stage.