Table Tuba Build

Post your build odyssey here.
shawn_g

Re: Table Tuba Build

#46 Post by shawn_g »

ecut1 wrote:Shawn, It was your double loaded 860w build thread that made me decide to build mine with the 860w. I had been thinking a single 10. Your cabinets are very nice looking! I'd love to put a full slab of wood on the top of mine but I'm sure it'd be super spendy. I thought about finding an old kitchen table on Craigslist and just ripping the amount of wood I need to make a solid table top.
Thanks! The kitchen table top is a good idea.

For what it's worth, I think I only paid $25 or so at Menards for the top I put on mine.

koturban

#47 Post by koturban »

ecut1 wrote:Shawn, It was your double loaded 860w build thread that made me decide to build mine with the 860w. I had been thinking a single 10. Your cabinets are very nice looking! I'd love to put a full slab of wood on the top of mine but I'm sure it'd be super spendy. I thought about finding an old kitchen table on Craigslist and just ripping the amount of wood I need to make a solid table top.
Another inexpensive option is a plywood top with whatever veneer that suits you. (Oak, for example) Trim the edge with iron-on edge banding or rip your own with a table saw.

ecut1

#48 Post by ecut1 »

TT #2 begins...
Attachments
IMG_20131031_091957_305 (Small).jpg

ecut1

#49 Post by ecut1 »

For some reason the baffle on the first cab turned out better than this one. When I installed the tnuts I somehow ended up placing the sub about 1/16th of an inch off center of the hole. :wall:

No surround slap though so I'm going with it.
Attachments
IMG_20131102_072247_553 (Small).jpg

mlkras

Re: Table Tuba Build Caulk Gunning

#50 Post by mlkras »

Great looking build. Back to the great idea from djphatman re wrapping the caulk tube. I tried to do the same thing but with stainless hose clamps around the tube and it worked very well. The clamps fit right into the caulking gun and are easily removable and reusable. When you release the tension the caulk stops.

ecut1

#51 Post by ecut1 »

Oh, the hose clamps are a good idea! That trick has saved me so much PL. I installed the final panel on my second TT this morning. I'm about to open my 4th tube of PL but I can guarantee I'd be well into the 4th tube if I hadn't wrapped the 2nd and 3rd with electrical tape.

MissileCrisis

#52 Post by MissileCrisis »

ecut1 wrote:Also, why not just build a third TLAH as a center channel?

I'm very new to the diy home audio scene so I apologize if that's a dumb question.
For dispersion reasons it is much preferred to have a horizontal (curved) SLA for the center channel. Bill could elaborate but I have a SLA center along with TLAH mains and it helps fill the area that is closer than where the TLAH want to converge. It also looks damn sexy so there's that.
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)

ecut1

#53 Post by ecut1 »

Second TT is done and placed in the opposite corner of the room. First impression... wow! :loler:

You wouldn't think adding a second sub would make that much difference. I'd say it doubled or even tripled the volume. Every seat in the main seating area is now covered in an outrageous amount of bass. While watching a few movie scenes the sound from the left, right, and center was almost completely drowned out (on the LFE setting that was working fine before). I'll be turning down the gain on the amps and the LFE output on my receiver for sure!

I'm thinking I'm going to wrap the visible sides in some cheap black fabric until I get my TLAHs and curved SLA done. Then I can enjoy them for now and only have to make a lacquer mess once.

Michael Ewald Hansen

#54 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

ecut1 wrote:Second TT is done and placed in the opposite corner of the room. First impression... wow! :loler:

You wouldn't think adding a second sub would make that much difference. I'd say it doubled or even tripled the volume. Every seat in the main seating area is now covered in an outrageous amount of bass. While watching a few movie scenes the sound from the left, right, and center was almost completely drowned out (on the LFE setting that was working fine before). I'll be turning down the gain on the amps and the LFE output on my receiver for sure!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Thats great! :twisted:
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

shawn_g

#55 Post by shawn_g »

ecut1 wrote:Second TT is done and placed in the opposite corner of the room. First impression... wow! :loler:

I'm thinking I'm going to wrap the visible sides in some cheap black fabric until I get my TLAHs and curved SLA done. Then I can enjoy them for now and only have to make a lacquer mess once.
Nice. :twisted:

ecut1

#56 Post by ecut1 »

I made a temporary fabric cover for one of the TT's tonight. I was about a half yard short of finishing the second. They'll end up costing $3.00 once I'm done (can't beat that). This should get me by for looks until I get ready to finish all the speakers at once.

Yes, I sewed it myself. Haha. :D
Attachments
IMG_20131106_204112_252 (Small).jpg
IMG_20131106_203459_388 (Small).jpg

AntonZ

#57 Post by AntonZ »

No cats in your house I hope?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Well done on the camouflage, they really do blend in better.

ecut1

#58 Post by ecut1 »

AntonZ wrote:No cats in your house I hope?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Well done on the camouflage, they really do blend in better.
Haha, nope... no cats. Thanks, it was a quick and cheap solution until I finish them. Here's the completed "camouflage"...
Attachments
IMG_20131107_215631_741 (Small).jpg

ecut1

#59 Post by ecut1 »

Here's basically the same video as last time just with both running now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhwElTF ... 61boG4U2xQ

I'm thinking sending a pure sine wave to these is a bad idea. At about 1:18 you can hear a crash in the background... stuff falling off shelves. :shock:

miked

#60 Post by miked »

Very nice! I love your HT. It's so nice to have a dedicated space for HT. I did, when I was single...it was called "my living room." I had a projection screen, a projector, a 5.1 setup and a couch. That's it. What more do you need? :lol:

I think your "sub slipcovers" are badass. You obviously can work a sewing machine. That's one-up on me. I'd sew my hand to the fabric, most probably. I'm very happy for you that the whole thing worked out like you wanted it to. :clap: