Hello from Southwest United Kingdom

BassheadUK

Hello from Southwest United Kingdom

#1 Post by BassheadUK »

Im sure this section wasn't here yesterday when I started a thread about OT12's ! Couldn't see it for looking I guess, square eyes from looking and reading everything else!

Im almost 30 years old, married and work as a telecoms engineer, I've fitted kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, fixed engines, washing machines, lawn mowers, and enjoy detailing cars.

Having been interested in dance/trance/hardhouse/hard trance music since the age of 12 i've always liked music systems. JBL is one of my lusts, something about the logo in striking orange/white i guess!

The reason I am here, I stumbled up on a link somewhere and after having a read of all the bold claims of how great these cabs were, I done some Youtube research, and a lot of other reading. I learned a lot about marketing, 2x 18" Cerwin Vega's are always going to be better than 1x 12" Eminence right....? 2500 watts is going to be better than 400w right? JBL know what they are doing, Peavey are well known, I've heard Turbosound and they are good......

Thing is I thought I knew a little, after reading this I know nothing at all!

I've been very happy with my cheap 12" Acoustic Studio Monitors 3311 powered by my retro Rotel RA-913 for many years. It gives sounds at home that would rattle the kitchen next door, and thats what I wanted. However needs change (Or should I say wants change)

If any of you have read the OT12 thread, I have explained a little about what I want, but sitting here a couple of days after posting that I have thought about other uses.

Im going to start my system with 2x OT 12's and I thought I had decided on the Tuba 30's for lows, however a couple of comments about trying Titan 39 slims. I'll cross that path when I come to it after building the tops (If they go well enough)

The reason a home user now wants a PA system, as explained in the other thread, the wife is pregnant, one of my good friends other half dropped this morning at 04:55 GMT, another good friends other half is about 2 months ahead of my wife, next door has two daughters that are due soon, I have nieces that are the age where a party would make them look cool to friends and a new years eve party would be really good.

Other areas of interest, I work with a charity where everyone is a volunteer no one takes any pay at all, and to raise funds a Christmas party disco would be great if we could afford to hire a DJ, but on the run up to Christmas or New Year prices shoot up, and more to it, getting hold of a decent disco that doesn't use cheap KAM or SOUNDLAB equipment that make ears bleed for the wrong reason is more difficult. If I had a PA, I could do such work which lead me on to another idea:

A good friend of mine is a club DJ, we can hire a local venue, bung in the system, and sell tickets for a trance night - I will need to look into this more, but a decent sound system for this would be important, both of us are bass heads, and would love to make the bar rattle!

Having had a look around for amps, the Yamaha P7000s looks a pretty good contender, to drive Delta Pro 12's - So one of these for each pair of tops/subs should do. I read about limiters, never given them any thought at all, looks like the Behringer offers good value for money. What about external crossovers, equalisers are these required?

I better leave it at that for now, wifes calling house work needs to be done (Joy)

Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for advice. Chris has said "Welcome to the addiction" - Agreed, cant put the laptop down at the moment.

Perhaps this community will get my arse in gear, the sooner I finish renovating house the sooner I can start building some cabs!
I plan to build a couple of DR250's & Autotuba.
WARNING - LAB12 T39's are EXCELLENT

Bas Gooiker

Re: Hello from Southwest United Kingdom

#2 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Hey, and welcome to the forum.

Some tips for the house builder / husband / father to be / PA enthousiast:
1. Sneak some sheets of plywood into the garage during the house refurbishment. Buy a few cables / connectors when doing electrics. Nothing is more wife upsetting as a sudden "all at once" bill for daddy's hobby.
2. For amps and processing. UK has a long history of PA, manifacturing, soundsystems and DIY, probably more then any other country in the world. There is a huge amount of used gear on the bay there. Invest in a decent LMS like a berry DCX for limiting, crossover etc. so you got that covered. And get some good & trusty English made old iron amps like C-audio or Citronic PPX, build like a tank. They come up cheap every now and then and can be fixed with a hammer and a screwdriver if they fail.
3. Building your own PA is going to be a lot more expensive as you might think at this point. But if you enjoy the build process half as much as the most of us its very well worth it.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/--> Cheapest source for Eminence in the UK.
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

BassheadUK

#3 Post by BassheadUK »

Well..... Taking the house building into account I have managed to blag a few nice tools! The first one being a Festool 55 plunge saw! I also bought a Makita 18v Li-Ion impact driver with 3ah battery, only to find i ordered the one without the charger.... Not wanting to spend another £100 on a charger i bought an 18v drill with another 3ah battery and charger!

I've collected the chop saw from my dad, built a nice strong workbench.

I had some PPX amps in the auction watch list, but after spending nearly £1000 on tools and bits for the house had to let them slide this time :( there was a range from 450, 900 and 1200 :( never mind cant have it all, might face a divorce else !

Im keen to start building, the charity I work with (100% run by volunteers no one gets paid) has started to plan some events, and having a brilliant PA will be better than some cheap KAM stuff! Im really hoping I can have a set of tops, subs, and amps by December this year! - I've got so much work to do in this time!

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Wishing you success!
TomS

BassheadUK

#5 Post by BassheadUK »

Keeping my user name active!

Nursery is underway almost finished, hallway/landing and rear bedroom left then I can start building!

BassheadUK

#6 Post by BassheadUK »

So happy on this lovely bank holiday Monday !

The hallway/landing has been plastered and I'm in the process of painting it, then that leaves painting in the nursery and rear bedroom then the fun starts! - I get to play with the Festool TS55 i've bought to sort out skirting boards and architrave. Once thats all fitted its time to get busy building some cabs.....!

Cant decide what to make first, perhaps an autotuba....

:fruit:

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

Did you get the CD of plans? (hint, hint)
TomS

BassheadUK

#8 Post by BassheadUK »

I bought one plan, of the OT12..... and read through that, and watched some videos, and read lots of threads, stayed up really late.... Two days in a row.....

Then decided to buy all the plans.....

Does anyone do requests for videos...? I'd like to see some DR/OT/Titan/Tuba's blasting out one of my fave classic trance tracks just to make me finish the house faster and start making some dust....!

sine143

#9 Post by sine143 »

i'll post some vids of six T48, 4 ot12 in a couple days.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

MissileCrisis

#10 Post by MissileCrisis »

I tried my luck at it, check the youtube section. I'm still looking forward to hearing a pair of T60's at full tilt (or as much as the venue can withstand).

I look forward to the 6 T48 vids :)
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)

88h88

#11 Post by 88h88 »

BassheadUK wrote:Does anyone do requests for videos...? I'd like to see some DR/OT/Titan/Tuba's blasting out one of my fave classic trance tracks just to make me finish the house faster and start making some dust....!
Let me know some tracks and I'll see what I can do in the next week or so. I may just bust out some ASoT...
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

MissileCrisis

#12 Post by MissileCrisis »

I know it's his thread but some song suggestions:
Need To Feel Loved ft. Delline Bass Adam_K___Soha_Vocal_Mix by Reflekt (Trance)
Ghosts n stuff - Deadmau5 (classic)
Shotgun - W&W (trance)
Nudge (Original Mix) - Felguk, Dirtyloud (electro)

I also think this would be epic:
Feel It (Feat. Tiesto, Sean Kingston & Flo Rida) [Tiesto's Feel It On The Floor Remix] (note this is instrumental and has a better bass-line than the hip hop song)
Built
2 x TLAH
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#13 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

MissileCrisis wrote:I know it's his thread but some song suggestions:
Need To Feel Loved ft. Delline Bass Adam_K___Soha_Vocal_Mix by Reflekt (Trance)
Ghosts n stuff - Deadmau5 (classic)
Shotgun - W&W (trance)
Nudge (Original Mix) - Felguk, Dirtyloud (electro)

I also think this would be epic:
Feel It (Feat. Tiesto, Sean Kingston & Flo Rida) [Tiesto's Feel It On The Floor Remix] (note this is instrumental and has a better bass-line than the hip hop song)
Keep in mind that you're not listening to the T60s etc., you're listening to your computer speakers and the (usually crappy) mic that the recording was made with, so the result is hardly the same as live.

88h88

#14 Post by 88h88 »

MissileCrisis wrote:I also think this would be epic:
What an amazing clusterfuck of awfulness that line up is, Jesus... :shock:
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

MissileCrisis

#15 Post by MissileCrisis »

Apparently you didn't read the comment at the end haha! in that version of the song it is entirely instrumental and is Tiesto only.... the rest are on the original song which yeah is a bit BLEH.
Built
2 x TLAH
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built