New WH8

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: New WH8

#31 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

safebet wrote: I notice that the DEQ panel gets hot after a long night, and the heat ain't coming from the Crown.
Trapping the DEQ between other components may be the source of heat build up. I'd fan cool the rack.

LelandCrooks

#32 Post by LelandCrooks »

djtrumptight wrote:Leland do you still sell DEQ 2496's ?
Drop Greg a line at magnum case works. I was doing behringer thru him
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

djtrumptight

#33 Post by djtrumptight »

Thanks Leland.
Built:
2 Autotuba's MCM 55 2421
8 T48's 24"wide 3015 LF
2 DR 250's melded Deltalite II 2510
2 DR 250's flat Deltalite II 2510
2 SLA HT systems
1 Table Tuba Dayton DCS 255-4
2 T 39's 20" wide 3012 LF
1 T-18 13" wide MCM 55 2421
2 SLA Pro's

subharmonic

#34 Post by subharmonic »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If you think they're good build a W6. Mine sounded nice with a 7 band EQ, but
I just added a DEQ2496 to my system and now they're stunning, from a package that's silly small, and with the 2496 FBD they'll take your head off before they'll feedback.
Sounds to me like this may be the best PA to home audio candidate out there. Instead of using DRs or Otops. Is there any merrit to the wedges being designed as a nearfield type horn thoughts?

Sorry for the hijack, Ima a privateer.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#35 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

subharmonic wrote:Is there any merrit to the wedges being designed as a nearfield type horn thoughts?
Not IMO. Their shape and response are specific for their intended application.

subharmonic

#36 Post by subharmonic »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
subharmonic wrote:Is there any merrit to the wedges being designed as a nearfield type horn thoughts?
I guess I may be reading into that a little too much but wouldn't that lend itself to a home experience? I mean on the sales page it refers to the listener being 6 ft from the speaker, most living rooms would be about that distance. IMO Otops and DRs sound better 20' or so away, I have only briefly listened to build Jon Barnhardts WH(10?) and didn't do a distance test.
I need more bass

CW Mcall

Bruce Weldy

#37 Post by Bruce Weldy »

subharmonic wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
I guess I may be reading into that a little too much but wouldn't that lend itself to a home experience? I mean on the sales page it refers to the listener being 6 ft from the speaker, most living rooms would be about that distance. IMO Otops and DRs sound better 20' or so away, I have only briefly listened to build Jon Barnhardts WH(10?) and didn't do a distance test.
It's the EQ curve. These are not designed to be flat - definite mid-range boost to enhance vocal clarity in a live setting......you wouldn't find it very pleasing for a stereo.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Jon Barnhardt

#38 Post by Jon Barnhardt »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
subharmonic wrote:
It's the EQ curve. These are not designed to be flat - definite mid-range boost to enhance vocal clarity in a live setting......you wouldn't find it very pleasing for a stereo.
It is indeed a W10 (one revision old).

+1 to Bruce. The DR's and OT's sound better in a stereo situation. EQ might equalize the playing field (pardon the pun) but in the end, proper tool for the job...

subharmonic

#39 Post by subharmonic »

I was really not thinking in terms of EQ since they all need considerable EQ vs a proper home audio speaker....my point/question was regarding the way the speaker throws, as it was designed for a much closer listening postion than a PA speaker.
I need more bass

CW Mcall

la80vette

#40 Post by la80vette »

Here's my review of the new wedgehorn 8's which Leland built for me. I had a music/magic/comedy show friday and really got to use them for the first time. EQ'd them with the sweepable four band on the presonus board and that was it. Nice sound with no feedback. None at all. All night. High pass around 100 Hz because of the T39 but they will go lower nicely if you need it. Good dispersion and a really pro look, at least what Leland did for me with the grill.
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)

LelandCrooks

#41 Post by LelandCrooks »

Thanks! Glad you like them.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

la80vette

#42 Post by la80vette »

I put the wedgehorns to use again. This time with the full band. One for the keyboards and one in front fo the rest of the group. These cabs floor me. Tons of headroom. They never get close to breaking up. Great dispersion. Sure, it would be great to have one for each musician but for our situation on mostly small stages, it's not necessary. My keyboardist said it was the best stage sound he has ever had and I have to agree. Kudos to Bill for a great design.
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#43 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

subharmonic wrote:my point/question was regarding the way the speaker throws, as it was designed for a much closer listening postion than a PA speaker.
Being designed for close range use they don't go as loud or low as those designed for mains usage, allowing a smaller cab. I still wouldn't use them for hi-fi/HT myself.