TLAH build for sanctuary

Post your build odyssey here.
gzc_stageTech

Re: TLAH build for sanctuary

#31 Post by gzc_stageTech »

Great idea Matt. But I'm not wanting to disassemble the baffle again, until I have to.

Where I'm mounting the boxes the lower drivers would be reachable by youth (10 y.o., or so). I don't want the possibility of that so I'm just making speaker covers. I have a speaker fabric that matches the color of the boxes, so it should be more invisible in the room (I hope).

The pa should be heard, not seen.

So what kind of paint will adhere to the ABS plastic horns? Most enamels would just peel off.

Chris

subharmonic

#33 Post by subharmonic »

I used rustoleum brand stuff, has a pic of a cheap plastic chair on it. Then I coated with model car spray paint after a couple minutes, let it dry for days if not a week. Gives it a nice finifh
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

gzc_stageTech

#34 Post by gzc_stageTech »

Thanks guys. Great paint leads. I'll exploit the possibilities.

Chris

gzc_stageTech

#35 Post by gzc_stageTech »

Started the install yesterday evening. I got the boxes mounted to the wall and the old Peaveys down (and the wires removed). I'm going to try to get back into the sanctuary this evening to pull wires to the new boxes. Since the walls are all finished, this requires a lot of 'wire fishing'. Sounds like fun, huh?

I'll get photos of the wall mount technique I used. And show you how the finished cabinets turned out with the homemade speaker grills.

Then, I want to EQ the room with a RTA. Finally, I'll shoot a video of the install and post.

Almost done.

Chris

la80vette

#36 Post by la80vette »

:cowboy:
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)

gzc_stageTech

#37 Post by gzc_stageTech »

The TLAHs are installed, EQd and running. I've used them for about 3 weeks now in the church. I still haven't run a thorough review because I just got too busy.

One thing, with the drivers I selected I needed to drop the 4.5k Hz about 6-8 dBs. They were just too hot. Other than that, the EQ is really flat. The acoustic guitar (with pickup) is absolutely amazing through the TLAHs. It sounds like the whole room is inside the soundbox. Vocal clarity is significantly improved over the PV-15s too.

But the best part is the line array aspects, where the sound is very uniform throughout the room. The whole sanctuary is in the "sweet spot". Even the detail of the stereo sonic field is improved with the TLAHs.

I don't have horn subs, so I need to push the direct radiator subs a bit around the 60 Hz range. I've repurposed the original PV-15 boxes for sub duty. They're just OK. I'd really like to add some horn subs to fill out the bottom better.

I've noticed that the sanctuary has a reverb mode at around 400-450 Hz too. I suspect it is because of the hard parallel walls and the room dimensions. You can hear it clearly when there is no pa running. With the pa (even at low power) the reverb is overpowered. But the 400-450 Hz augment still is a troublesome spot. Anybody have any noise control ideas? But I'm on a very limited budget (namely, the "out of my pocket" budget).

Chris

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#38 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

gzc_stageTech wrote:
I've noticed that the sanctuary has a reverb mode at around 400-450 Hz too. I suspect it is because of the hard parallel walls and the room dimensions.
Your suspicion is correct. You can't change the room shape, do what you can to cover the hard surfaces with anything less reflective.

DJPhatman

#39 Post by DJPhatman »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
gzc_stageTech wrote:
I've noticed that the sanctuary has a reverb mode at around 400-450 Hz too. I suspect it is because of the hard parallel walls and the room dimensions.
Your suspicion is correct. You can't change the room shape, do what you can to cover the hard surfaces with anything less reflective.
Ask the "congregation" to donate tasteful wall tapestries. Ask for heavy, carpet-like material, with a religious theme to blend in the decor.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

MissileCrisis

#40 Post by MissileCrisis »

I'd love to see some videos with the above mentioned reference mic! I'm looking forward to building a floor standing pair with the open end on top so I'm anxious to hear how yours sound. Also, how tall did the array end up with the 8 5.25 inch drivers? I'm planning on 6 5.25 and 9 tweets. If I get super ambitious I'll build a pair for my church, and those I would design for hanging. I have the LF drivers for it :). * now I am just waiting on the parts to show up, and finding free time to buy wood/screws.
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)