Bonehead move - Coca Cola in XTi 2000

Is this amp OK?
bzb

Bonehead move - Coca Cola in XTi 2000

#1 Post by bzb »

4 gigs this Halloween weekend, and yesterday on my final one, about 15 minutes after my contract was officially over (I was spinning while breaking down equipment)...

I knock over my cup of Coke and some of it went right into the vent of the XTi 2000. Power to it cut off immediately, but everything else was fine. I sopped up what was on the front of it and tried to turn it back on, and the lights blinked on briefly but then shut back down. I cut everything off after that.

Yes, a bonehead move. To be fair, I've been operating off about 2-4 hours of sleep every night since Thursday, so I am just wiped.

Any advice? It's used and well out of warranty.
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

DJ Big Ronn

Re: Bonehead move - Coca Cola in XTi 2000

#2 Post by DJ Big Ronn »

Internal fuses?

bzb

#3 Post by bzb »

No idea. Should I turn it on today? It happened around 6pm yesterday. Been sitting in my garage overnight with the rack covers off. I guess I should crack it open and see whats inside.
Bobby Shively

Built:

AntonZ

#4 Post by AntonZ »

My gut feeling would be to wash the cola out with clean water, give it ample time to dry, force some warm dry air in there while drying, then try to fire it up again. Not based on any practical experience though, just the idea that leaving the residue in there would be harmful in the long run.

Rune Bivrin

#5 Post by Rune Bivrin »

AntonZ wrote:My gut feeling would be to wash the cola out with clean water, give it ample time to dry, force some warm dry air in there while drying, then try to fire it up again. Not based on any practical experience though, just the idea that leaving the residue in there would be harmful in the long run.
That's exactly what I did when my kids dumped Sprite into my laptop. Worked like a charm, but you should be quick about it. The cola contains enough phosphorous acid to corrode the contacts in switches and connectors.
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Clean it with alcohol, not water. Water will cause susceptible parts to rust, alcohol won't.

bzb

#7 Post by bzb »

I cracked it open (way too easy!?!?) and swabbed up the Coke stains with rubbing alcohol. There really was only a little bit right in the front, but it was definitely over more than a couple contacts. Ran a hairdryer on it for a couple minutes, and it powered right back up. Whew! Did it just go into protection mode? If so, that's an awesome feature.

Thanks everyone!

On another note, I did have a weird incident a couple nights ago, though. CH2, which run my OTs, sounded really low - almost like it was severely muffled - even when I turned the gain up. I turned it back down, smacked the amp on the grill a couple times, and turned it back up and it was fine. Hasn't done it since... but wondering what I could have jiggled on that one.
Bobby Shively

Built:

doncolga

#8 Post by doncolga »

bzb wrote:I cracked it open (way too easy!?!?) and swabbed up the Coke stains with rubbing alcohol. There really was only a little bit right in the front, but it was definitely over more than a couple contacts. Ran a hairdryer on it for a couple minutes, and it powered right back up. Whew! Did it just go into protection mode? If so, that's an awesome feature.

Thanks everyone!

On another note, I did have a weird incident a couple nights ago, though. CH2, which run my OTs, sounded really low - almost like it was severely muffled - even when I turned the gain up. I turned it back down, smacked the amp on the grill a couple times, and turned it back up and it was fine. Hasn't done it since... but wondering what I could have jiggled on that one.
Congratulations on that! I know that's a great feeling. I did that with a MacBook this past Spring...however, no such luck. Did get an improved replacement though.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Ron K

#9 Post by Ron K »

In the future you should keep a can of CRC Contact cleaner in your gig case. If that would happen on the job early you can simply power down spray let sit 2 mins and power back up as the contact cleaner will evaporate and remove the spillage.It's non flammable unlike alcohol (you must buy the non-flammable stuff) and should get you up and running quickly.

We did this on a Midas Monitor console during a George Jones show when from above came a beer spilled from the balcony which was basically a wooden deck where all the VIPs were sitting. Monitor land was stationed right underneath and well the crackling that came after the spillage wasn't pretty.Quick power down and back up in less then 10 mins without issue!

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content ... =03070&S=Y
Ever since I replaced sex with food I cant even get into my own pants!

bzb

#10 Post by bzb »

Ron K wrote:In the future you should keep a can of CRC Contact cleaner in your gig case. If that would happen on the job early you can simply power down spray let sit 2 mins and power back up as the contact cleaner will evaporate and remove the spillage.It's non flammable unlike alcohol (you must buy the non-flammable stuff) and should get you up and running quickly.

We did this on a Midas Monitor console during a George Jones show when from above came a beer spilled from the balcony which was basically a wooden deck where all the VIPs were sitting. Monitor land was stationed right underneath and well the crackling that came after the spillage wasn't pretty.Quick power down and back up in less then 10 mins without issue!

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content ... =03070&S=Y
Awesome. Where would one acquire a can of this locally? I checked Fry's and Radio Shack and they're a no-go.
Bobby Shively

Built: