Piezo cut off frequency

High output and wide dispersion without feedback.
AlBrum

Piezo cut off frequency

#1 Post by AlBrum »

Hi,

Decided on a wedgehorn 6 and SLA pro build, so just getting parts together.(and giving my old P.A to local school to blow up (more) :D )

I'm looking at the specs for Monacor and goldwood piezos- It looks like they run from 3/3.5KHz upwards (I'm in UK so getting Monacor is much easier!)

In the W6 plans it looks high pass crossover for piezos starts at 2KHz. Just wondered if the piezos will be ok running that low please?

Any ideas gents (and ladies!) before I start to buy parts.

Thanks for the really fast sending of plans Bill BTW, appreciate it.

Cheers,

Al

Seth

Re: Piezo cut off frequency

#2 Post by Seth »

AlBrum wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:21 am I'm looking at the specs for Monacor and goldwood piezos- It looks like they run from 3/3.5KHz upwards (I'm in UK so getting Monacor is much easier!)

In the W6 plans it looks high pass crossover for piezos starts at 2KHz. Just wondered if the piezos will be ok running that low please?
Welcome to the party Al :thumbsup: I'm on a mid build pause on a pair of WH6's and have also built a couple 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's too.

I'm sure you've noted in the plans that the Monacor brand is noted specifically as the brand to buy in the UK. I'd try not to overthink the plans too much (something that I haven't been too successful with either) and just build them as prescribed/designed. It is noted on page 19 of the plans, "This filter has a 2kHz corner frequency, reducing power to the piezos by 12dB (90%) at 1kHz, while increasing their sensitivity from 2.5kHz to 5kHz by about 2dB". I think that last bit is the part of the puzzle you may be looking for.

Also, the melded array has a bit more extension than a flat array, documented in this thread in the following location... Board Index > SPL Charts > Melded Tweeter Array
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

AlBrum

Re: Piezo cut off frequency

#3 Post by AlBrum »

Ah ha...

Cheers Seth, that makes more sense now!

I'll get the piezos ordered and see how we go over the next 2 weeks, looking forward to hearing them when finished - currently using 100w to drive a 12 inch and APT150 wedge and 150w to drive a small 6 inch and piezo, I reckon this design will be a good step up for the band. (when we can gig again!!)

Cheers,

Al