filters from Leland. Wiring question

High output and wide dispersion without feedback.
Tom Smit

Re: filters from Leland. Wiring question

#16 Post by Tom Smit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:03 pm

On cab #1 double checked the routing of the wires that you soldered on, and compare them to cab #2. If different, make corrections to the wiring on #1.
Check all the solder joints to make sure that the solder has melded with the wire, and with the contact surface. Also check the connections at the woofer.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#17 Post by Grant Bunter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:20 am

Check the woofer with a 9 volt battery.
If you connect + on the battery to + on the woofer, and - to -, you should get forward movement of the cone.
If it goes the other way, for whatever reason, it's out in polarity.

If it does nothing, then it's cactus. Investigate why...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans. 2 more under way with CD horn
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

gibbey

#18 Post by gibbey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm

This is my first Sound system I'm building. On page24 of the plans it says"This schematic of the low pass filter also shows the [4] ohm resistor for the tweeter array. The resistor connects directly to the positive wire from the jack; if you connect it post filter the tweeters will not work." On page 25 the low and high pass filter schematics are displayed. The high pass filter shows the 4 ohm resistor between the jack connection and the 5.6 uF capacitor {will reduce sensitivity to that of a non-filtered array}. So if the "can have the effect of making the array sound overly bright" is not the case then I do not need to place the 4 ohm resistor between the 5.6 uF cap and the neg- terminal of the array. I just wire it up as displayed on the low pass filter schematic; 4 ohm resistor between the tweeter array pos. input and the jack+. Correct? But what about the 90 degree phase shift phenomenon. Do I wire it up in reverse polarity as the high pass filter schematic shows with the 4 ohm resistor between the neg- of the tweet array and the jack pos+ BYPASSING THE 5.6Uf cap{if the array does not sound overly bright}. If it does sound overly bright then follow the high pass filter schematic with the 4 ohm resistor between the 5.6 uF cap and neg- lug of the array. Correct? I am totally confused with this "if you connect it post filter the tweets will not work" Then if the array sounds overly bright disregard the previous statement and follow the high pass filter schematic dealing with this 4 ohm resistor. How can I tell if the cabs are overly bright after finishing the work. Pump music thru it with a small amp and signal or bring the whole shebang,subs tops and wedgehorns to a musical venue and put live music thru them. Whats easiest course of action with this 4 ohm resistor, overly bright predicament and the 90 degree phase shift. Gibbey

gibbey

#19 Post by gibbey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:18 pm

Wedge horn 8 are the cabs I am finishing up. Forgot to change the subject heading. Will be using them as vocal monitors daisy chaining with one amp powering all 4 cabs 16 ohm delta 8b drivers. Gibbey

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#20 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:11 am

Page 24 in the W8 plans shows a cut list. The passage you quoted does not exist in the current plans. The procedure for testing tweeter polarity is. If you're working from obsolete plans the first thing you need to do is get an update. It's also bad form to hijack a thread, you should have started your own.

gibbey

#21 Post by gibbey » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:09 pm

This is my first Sound system I'm building. On page24 of the plans it says"This schematic of the low pass filter also shows the [4] ohm resistor for the tweeter array. The resistor connects directly to the positive wire from the jack; if you connect it post filter the tweeters will not work." On page 25 the low and high pass filter schematics are displayed. The high pass filter shows the 4 ohm resistor between the jack connection and the 5.6 uF capacitor {will reduce sensitivity to that of a non-filtered array}. So if the "can have the effect of making the array sound overly bright" is not the case then I do not need to place the 4 ohm resistor between the jack conn and the 5.6 uF cap. I just wire it up as displayed on the low pass filter schematic; 4 ohm resistor between the tweeter array pos. input and the jack+. Correct? But what about the 90 degree phase shift phenomenon. Do I wire it up in reverse polarity as the high pass filter schematic shows with the 4 ohm resistor between the neg- of the tweet array and the jack pos+ BYPASSING THE 5.6Uf cap{if the array does not sound overly bright}. If it does sound overly bright then follow the high pass filter schematic with the 4 ohm resistor between the 5.6 uF cap and neg- lug of the array. Correct? I am totally confused with this "if you connect it post filter the tweets will not work" Then if the array sounds overly bright disregard the previous statement and follow the high pass filter schematic dealing with this 4 ohm resistor. How can I tell if the cabs are overly bright after finishing the work. Pump music thru it with a small amp and signal or bring the whole shebang,subs tops and wedgehorns to a musical venue and put live music thru them. Whats easiest course of action with this 4 ohm resistor, overly bright predicament and the 90 degree phase shift. Mike.

Grant Bunter

#22 Post by Grant Bunter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:28 pm

gibbey wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:09 pm
This is my first Sound system I'm building. On page24 of the plans it says"This schematic of the low pass filter also shows the [4] ohm resistor for the tweeter array. The resistor connects directly to the positive wire from the jack; if you connect it post filter the tweeters will not work." On page 25 the low and high pass filter schematics are displayed. The high pass filter shows the 4 ohm resistor between the jack connection and the 5.6 uF capacitor {will reduce sensitivity to that of a non-filtered array}. So if the "can have the effect of making the array sound overly bright" is not the case then I do not need to place the 4 ohm resistor between the jack conn and the 5.6 uF cap. I just wire it up as displayed on the low pass filter schematic; 4 ohm resistor between the tweeter array pos. input and the jack+. Correct? But what about the 90 degree phase shift phenomenon. Do I wire it up in reverse polarity as the high pass filter schematic shows with the 4 ohm resistor between the neg- of the tweet array and the jack pos+ BYPASSING THE 5.6Uf cap{if the array does not sound overly bright}. If it does sound overly bright then follow the high pass filter schematic with the 4 ohm resistor between the 5.6 uF cap and neg- lug of the array. Correct? I am totally confused with this "if you connect it post filter the tweets will not work" Then if the array sounds overly bright disregard the previous statement and follow the high pass filter schematic dealing with this 4 ohm resistor. How can I tell if the cabs are overly bright after finishing the work. Pump music thru it with a small amp and signal or bring the whole shebang,subs tops and wedgehorns to a musical venue and put live music thru them. Whats easiest course of action with this 4 ohm resistor, overly bright predicament and the 90 degree phase shift. Mike.
Don't stress about the "overly bright" thing. You'll know if they are "overly bright", and you can fix that up with EQ, which you need to be using anyway.
Just build the filters as per the plans and forget the repositioning of the 4 ohm resistor initially...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans. 2 more under way with CD horn
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...